People trolling the POE2 Steam site ...

The kids are alright as they always were and will be, but that does not mean we cannot make fun of them. Especially when you're a cynical, thick-skinned boomer who's well acquainted with this internet thing but was young and stupid on it before the age of social media, so nobody can trace all the stupid things you said at age 20 and rub it in your face.  :biggrin:

P.S.: this derail is way more interesting than the original topic.

• Like 3

Schadenfreude I guess? :)

Here's a funny linguistic tidbit for you: the English language lacks the concepts of both Schadenfreude (German) and joie de vivre (French). There's something hilarious about that, in my view.

(And of course all languages lack some concepts that other languages have, which is a very good reason for studying as many languages as you can. This is just a particularly nice combination.)

• Like 1

Schadenfreude I guess? :)

Here's a funny linguistic tidbit for you: the English language lacks the concepts of both Schadenfreude (German) and joie de vivre (French). There's something hilarious about that, in my view.

(And of course all languages lack some concepts that other languages have, which is a very good reason for studying as many languages as you can. This is just a particularly nice combination.)

Sadism?

nowt

I guess that's why the German word is used then.

Weltschmerz, Kindergarten, Butterbrot, Rucksack, Existenzangst and so on. All pretty cool words that are used in other languages.

Because it's so easy to create totally valid terms in German - simply by merging two or more things into one word. Ask the next Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän you meet. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

My favorite one was always Backenbart.

Yiddish has some cool German words in it, like schlepping (dragging around) or schwitzing (sweating), but I'm not shure if these are actual German words or if the Germans learned them from the Jews.

By the way: I think joie de vivre translates to Lebensfreude, so in German you have both words.

Edited by Lord_Mord

---

We're all doomed

In German you absolutely do, but point was that in English you don't. This was pointed out to me by an English friend who thought it indicative of the English psyche (his words, not mine), that the language doesn't contain anything describing the thing meant by joie de vivre.

Many languages contain concepts that are likely to befuddle users of other languages.

One other thing that baffles me about English is that there is no common term that would include both butterflies and moths. I mean, these insects are very close relatives, one group just flies by day and the other (mostly) at night, but there is no common term for them in English. It's peculiar even from a scientific perspective. In Latin, the term would be lepidoptera.

Butterflies include moths. Both in English and German. Looked it up on Wikipedia, just to be shure.

And I just realised: Isn't joy of living a common term in English? There is even a movie of that name.

Edited by Lord_Mord

---

We're all doomed

Could you elaborate that a bit ? Do you only need an online account on the epic store to buy and download games without any client installed on your machine ?

Or am i required at any point to install some client from epic ?

Unfortunately, there is no way to download and update the game without installing the Epic Store on your machine. In addition, from what I read it is up to piblisher/developer if the game is DRM free or not. 

However, the games I played so far (and in future Phoenix Point) does not require Epic Store to run. You do need Epic Store to download, instal and update the game, but you don't need to run games through it and if you uninstal the Epic Store those games will still stay installed on your PC.

For a major release like Metro: Exodus or Outer Worlds it probably won't be the case as publishers love DRM (don't own Metro:E so can't confirm or deny it, but it is supposed to have denuovo).

• Like 1

You misunderstood Wikipedia. Butterfly does not include moths, it is Lepidoptera that does. Check a dictionary.

As far as I know the English word for Butterflies and Moths as a collective group would be lepidoptra.  Carl Linnaeus coined the term for the family in 1758, using Latin (but working from Greek) as was (and is) the way of scientific classification.

Old English only had the terms for the two distinct parts of the family (butorflēoge and moþþe). I don't think the language made a catch-all for the family (probably didn't realize the relation).  The thing to remember about English is that what it doesn't invent it gets off the back of a lorry, no questions asked.  So around 1773 the use of the Latin classification, Lepidoptra, began being used as the English word to represent butterflies and moths.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Could you elaborate that a bit ? Do you only need an online account on the epic store to buy and download games without any client installed on your machine ?

Or am i required at any point to install some client from epic ?

Unfortunately, there is no way to download and update the game without installing the Epic Store on your machine. In addition, from what I read it is up to piblisher/developer if the game is DRM free or not. 

However, the games I played so far (and in future Phoenix Point) does not require Epic Store to run. You do need Epic Store to download, instal and update the game, but you don't need to run games through it and if you uninstal the Epic Store those games will still stay installed on your PC.

For a major release like Metro: Exodus or Outer Worlds it probably won't be the case as publishers love DRM (don't own Metro:E so can't confirm or deny it, but it is supposed to have denuovo).

That's interesting, it's starting to sound better already. Most of the complaints seem like flat out lies or just misunderstandings.

Or because they have already dedicated themselves to Steam, and have become a fanboy like the console days of yonder.

nowt

You misunderstood Wikipedia. Butterfly does not include moths, it is Lepidoptera that does. Check a dictionary.

As far as I know the English word for Butterflies and Moths as a collective group would be lepidoptra.  Carl Linnaeus coined the term for the family in 1758, using Latin (but working from Greek) as was (and is) the way of scientific classification.

Old English only had the terms for the two distinct parts of the family (butorflēoge and moþþe). I don't think the language made a catch-all for the family (probably didn't realize the relation).  The thing to remember about English is that what it doesn't invent it gets off the back of a lorry, no questions asked.  So around 1773 the use of the Latin classification, Lepidoptra, began being used as the English word to represent butterflies and moths.

But lepidoptra is not English, it's Latin or mock-Latin. There is no English word, that was the point. This is why we get projects like "Butterflies and Moths of North America", which, in many other languages, would simply have one classificatory word that includes both butterflies and moths.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with English, only that there are these interesting differences between distinctions and classifications. To give another example: Wittgenstein famously wrote that whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent. The interesting thing here is that in his original German, there is a single verb for "being silent", schweigen. But in English there is no word or concept for that, you can only explain it by saying that someone is silent, whereas in German and many other languages, there is a distinct verb for remaining silent.

Similarly, in Finnish, for example, you cannot "ignore" someone, you can only "not notice" or "pay no attention" to them. It's almost the same, but not quite, just like in the "being silent" example.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 1

But lepidoptra is not English, it's Latin or mock-Latin. There is no English word, that was the point. This is why we get projects like "Butterflies and Moths of North America", which, in many other languages, would simply have one classificatory word that includes both butterflies and moths.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with English, only that there are these interesting differences between distinctions and classifications. To give another example: Wittgenstein famously wrote that whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent. The interesting thing here is that in his original German, there is a single verb for "being silent", schweigen. But in English there is no word or concept for that, you can only explain it by saying that someone is silent, whereas in German and many other languages, there is a distinct verb for remaining silent.

Similarly, in Finnish, for example, you cannot "ignore" someone, you can only "not notice" or "pay no attention" to them. It's almost the same, but not quite, just like in the "being silent" example.

I understand what you're saying, I'm just saying that the English Language - as much as or moreso than other languages - just borrows words and concepts from other languages when it needs to.  There was no word for butterflies and moths as a family, so it adopted the coined latin family name which now is the English word for butterflies and moths.  Its why almost every exception to the rules of English are words borrowed from other languages (French or German popularly, but from many others).

Its like the Epic Store has an exclusive on a word concept, and the English store waits for the exclusivity period to end so it can offer the concept for its users to play with it without learning the Epic Store Language. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

every generation has thought the next generation was horrible, had corrupting toys, etc. i'm sure when some teenagers and 20somethings were writing something called "The Declaration of Independence" and participating in the american revolution, there were some older british folk who were pooh-poohing these youths' entitled attitudes to having "no taxation without representation" without going through the traditional hard work of somehow obtaining a peerage or becoming landed gentry first.

don't worry, as the song goes, the kids are alright.

am pretty sure jefferson were in his 30s, and average age o' signatories were 40- something, but point taken... though maybe not the way you mean.  mild narcissism does decrease as one ages, although pathological gets worse.  am assuming most o' the narcissists being contemplated is o' the mild sort. so is possible every generation is narcissist, then eventual grows outta it. more likely to grow outta it once you ain't in dad's basement?

as for founding fathers, hamilton and madison were noteworthy youngish, but keep in mind hamilton nearly resigned his commission 'cause washington didn't wanna give him a field command.  too many more experienced officers were clamoring for the same opportunity in the twilight o' the war for washington to move hamilton to the front o' the queue as it were. in a letter, hamilton, who had already resigned from washington's staff, threatened to leave the army entire if not given a field command. a staff officer for most o' the war, hamilton knew battle experience would be important for his post-war political career aspirations.  lucky for hamilton, washington eventual relents and gives hamilton a field command, with hamilton eventual getting his battlefield glory at yorktown. entitlement issues we s'pose.

HA! Good Fun!

ps life expectancy in 1776 colonies were 36, but this were due to high rate o' mortality 'mongst children.  IF a person lived past 20, they could expect another couple o' decades before needing face the grim reaper.  regardless, am suspecting late 20s and 30s were not considered youthful by standards o' the times, even in england.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That's interesting, it's starting to sound better already. Most of the complaints seem like flat out lies or just misunderstandings.

Or because they have already dedicated themselves to Steam, and have become a fanboy like the console days of yonder.

It's not horrible. Reports about poor Epic security are concerning - I got my GOG account hacked before they beefed up security and it took me over two weeks to get it back. It's biggest problem is that it doesn't have end user any perks. Buying exclusives should work in making people use the platform but we need a reason to keep using it. I am using Epic for Hades and free games they are giving away. I will use it for a year for Phoenix Point. Why wouldn't I move to GOG with Phoenix Point once I get my second backer key? Give me a reason Epic or byeeee. 

• Like 1

I think you can generalize less between adjacent "marketing" generations (I use the terms marketing in the most derogatory term and am using it to connote the United States obsession with free markets and the use of these generational terms to distinguish target age groups by a multitude of businesses, marketing agencies and advertisers) since a hard cutoff date between groups honestly makes no sense unless you need to present and convince the people with money that you have a plan and know what you are talking about.  People use these terms so freely, but I honestly find subculture denotations much more interesting and accurate, especially when it comes to younger people.  

I do believe you can make generalizations about young people in general.  Like someone between the age of 20-24 may be more concerned with social status than someone in their 80s.  But I think these broader generalizations can be made for every "marketing" generation, so when I used the term youth above I wasn't referring to any youth specific group.  I don't really subscribe to the theory of generations is what I am saying, and the theory is only popular because it is pushed by marketing and advertisers in their work.

Edit:

I am thinking people have lost faith in Obsidian, its like the two strike rule, first Microsoft now the Epic thing.  Optics are bad, but if Obsidian rolls out good games and continues supporting a solid community (and doesn't do lame stuff I guess) all can be forgiven I believe and a few year from now no one may remember, except as an example of why knee jerk reactions often backfire.  The word assume - making an ass  out of u and me.

Also the word computer ... go English!!  I love hearing the word computer in Japanese :)

Edited by bringingyouthefuture

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

Let's do some google translate: "asnjas использует фекальный язык, чтобы выразить свое недовольство, хотя он просто должен набить сумку так, чтобы ему было все равно".

Haha - that is not the right translation.

Although I was pretty surprised when I saw that Google Translator (German-->English) really knows what "eine Tüte quarzen" translates to - although it used the term wrongly then.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods