People trolling the POE2 Steam site ...

I guess people really feel offended by the TOW / Epic Games thing, they are trolling the reviews of POE2 ... and POE1 on Steam.  I don't get why people wouldn't want to play this game because of that though, seems kind of silly.

post-180781-0-60386000-1553290130_thumb.png

• Like 4

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

It's a clearly psychiatric problems. These kind of deseases often recurrance during spring. I've heard Steam implemented some kind of filter for those lunatics, so these mad responses don't affect on games rating anymore.

Valve 1:0 Lunatics

Edited by Phenomenum

It's a clearly psychiatric problems. These kind of deseases often recurrance during spring. I've heard Steam implemented some kind of filter for those lunatics, so these mad responses don't affect on games rating anymore.

Valve 1:0 Lunatics

Looks like it works in 50% cases. PoE2 wasn't affected but PoE1 was.

So it would be Valve 1:1 Lunatics.

It's still a very good result. I didn't expect something can be done about this problem.

Vancian =/= per rest.

I guess people really feel offended by the TOW / Epic Games thing, they are trolling the reviews of POE2 ... and POE1 on Steam.  I don't get why people wouldn't want to play this game because of that though, seems kind of silly.

And that's why Steam reluctance to curate their platform and relaying on users and algorithms to do everything for them doesn't work. It's a platform filled with misleading, broken or irrelevant content.

• Like 2

The Outer Worlds (game that is developed by Obsidian right now) will only be available on the Epic Store (and Windows Store) for the first year, NOT Steam and GOG or any other platform. Console versions are not affected.

This was revealed several days ago - and the backlash from the gamer community was pretty overwhelming.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/108935-the-outer-worlds-wont-launch-on-steam/

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

And that's why Steam reluctance to curate their platform and relaying on users and algorithms to do everything for them doesn't work. It's a platform filled with misleading, broken or irrelevant content.

Given that Steam is getting a 30% cut, they should be strongly incentivized to remove crufty reviews that add no information and potentially decrease sales. But what do I know?

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Thanks. Much obliged. Not knowing the rationale, that sounds like an odd choice.

Epic does offer better split from each sale (12%-88%, compared to steam's 30%-70%) and. in cases were devs spoke up, offered additional financial bonuses for exclusivity. Whenever there is anything more to it then that, it is difficult to say. From consumers perspective Epic store is very barebone and looks like an inferior platform on many fronts. At the same time, with so many promising games being Epic exclusives, soon a game might look like a 2nd class citizen if it's not on Epic only. 

• Like 1

I don't know. Those exclusive deals do indeed come over as rather dickish moves. I don't bother that much but I also do not want to use the Epic Store. First of all I can't (am on Linux - and Steam/ GOG are the only ones that support Linux at least a bit) and secondly I don't like to spread my game collection over several services. 

I mean of course this doesn't justify to downvote PoE or Deadfire which have nothing to do with the quality of TOW. That's just silly and stupid.

But it's not that Obsidian had no part in creating the wrath that now rains down on them. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

Thanks. Much obliged. Not knowing the rationale, that sounds like an odd choice.

Epic does offer better split from each sale (12%-88%, compared to steam's 30%-70%) and. in cases were devs spoke up, offered additional financial bonuses for exclusivity. Whenever there is anything more to it then that, it is difficult to say. From consumers perspective Epic store is very barebone and looks like an inferior platform on many fronts. At the same time, with so many promising games being Epic exclusives, soon a game might look like a 2nd class citizen if it's not on Epic only. 

For the player it's a matter of installing another client (and using it ONCE to install the game), for the developer it can lead to thousands more $ due to better split, if your sales are good. But the players are so selfish that they don't even consider this. Just because they're too lazy to install Epic Store client. Pathetic, really. Obsidian did nothing wrong here.

Remember how everyone hated Steam when it was first released? Now many players can't live without it. Epic Store will eat Steam for breakfast if Valve doesn't try to improve. The sole fact that Epic actually QA's the games, and doesn't let complete garbage on their store, is a huge green light for me.

• Like 1

For the player it's a matter of installing another client (and using it ONCE to install the game), for the developer it can lead to thousands more $ due to better split, if your sales are good. But the players are so selfish that they don't even consider this. Just because they're too lazy to install Epic Store client. Pathetic, really. Obsidian did nothing wrong here.

Remember how everyone hated Steam when it was first released? Now many players can't live without it. Epic Store will eat Steam for breakfast if Valve doesn't try to improve.

Do we know that OuterWorlds will be DRM free (no Epic required to run the game beside download and updates)? There are quite big downsides to Epic which go beyond inconvenience - for example it’s not available in all countries, I know China is one of them.

Well, yeah, the most optimistic way of thinking is that Epic is buying itself time to improve their platform.

Remember how everyone hated Steam when it was first released? Now many players can't live without it. Epic Store will eat Steam for breakfast if Valve doesn't try to improve.

Do we know that OuterWorlds will be DRM free (no Epic required to run the game beside download and updates)? There are quite big downsides to Epic which go beyond inconvenience - for example it’s not available in all countries, I know China is one of them.

Well, yeah, the most optimistic way of thinking is that Epic is buying itself time to improve their platform.

I was assuming it works like Steam? You set auto log-in and it just launches when you double click the game's icon on your desktop :p

I don't know. Those exclusive deals do indeed come over as rather dickish moves.

I dunno, maybe its because I've had a foot in the console generations all the time my other foot has been in computer gaming, but I've never seen exclusives as something to get bothered by unless you're someone who feels you're entitled to every game that comes out.

As more and more things move to streaming and virtual platforms, to my mind it was inevitable that the PC market would become a battleground for the Windows market, and I'm not surprised at all that a company is trying to use exclusives to try and draw people to a particular storefront.  What does surprise me, mildly I admit, is how enraged people get over something not appearing on their preferred storefront, particularly given that these aren't even forever exclusives.

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't know if they already showed up as offers, but it was announced that TOW would be released on Steam several times in teasers and interviews.

The impression of dickishness may not only result from that but also from the fact that the Epic Store has a bad reputation. Now people who were super hyped to learn about that game feel forced to buy the game on a platform they are totally not hyped about. The frustration is understandable, even if I don't feel it myself.

Was the same with the "physical copies" of Deadfire not long ago: even if you are not affected personally you should be able to understand why people might be frustrated or disappointed.

Edited by Boeroer

Again maybe its the fact that I was there for the console wars, but exclusive titles just seem to be an odd thing to get angry over, even more so given the fact that everyone who dislikes the Epic store can just wait out the exclusive period rather than support that storefront.

The easiest way to kill the Epic exclusive strategy (if one dislikes it) is to not support it; enough people do that then Epic won't have an incentive to continue throwing money at companies for times exclusives.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Even though I don't own a console I can totally understand that a gamer might get frustrated if he learns about the release of an exclusive game they would like to play - but can't because it gets released on a console they didn't buy. It's even worse than on PC. Not being (slightly) angry about such things just speaks of blunted affect. ;)

• Like 1