Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Theorycrafting Thoughts On New Classes (Patch 4.0 Beta)

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13308 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Doesn't Enduring Dance work?

Takkik

Takkik

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

ah, and actualy I think I tested and Mortification work too (it did when the 4.0 came out). Ok time to go to bed.

But still feel not that optimal. And the monk don't lack attack abilities. I would have prefered something that work with his existing attacks instead of replacing them.

Anoregon

Anoregon

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I see Forbidden fist as the Monk version of Soul Annihilation - you forgo the bulk of your class abilities to use your generated resource on a specific, repeated attack. However, the Cipher version of the mechanic works better because Soul Blade doesn't dramatically change or reduce focus gains. You are likely going to use the bulk of your focus on SA, but you still have your standard focus generation to use whatever cipher abilities you want as the situation dictates. Forbidden Fist has a much higher opportunity cost due to how it removes the primary form of resource generation from the class. You are locked into a cycle of casting forbidden fist.

brasilgringo

brasilgringo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts

I see Forbidden fist as the Monk version of Soul Annihilation - you forgo the bulk of your class abilities to use your generated resource on a specific, repeated attack. However, the Cipher version of the mechanic works better because Soul Blade doesn't dramatically change or reduce focus gains. You are likely going to use the bulk of your focus on SA, but you still have your standard focus generation to use whatever cipher abilities you want as the situation dictates. Forbidden Fist has a much higher opportunity cost due to how it removes the primary form of resource generation from the class. You are locked into a cycle of casting forbidden fist.

I think one of the key points made in the comments above is that casting FF repeatedly isn't worth the cost/risk, as the self-damage/affliction from curse is significantly worse for the monk than the bonus damage from the FF itself.  The scaling of the damage and duration of the curse were both commented in some detail, in an analysis that I thought was spot on.  In short, you can't really cast FF enough times under the current mechanics.  

I think the suggestion of having a FF bonus apply to all monk attacks, not just the FF itself, is an interesting potential approach here, plus toning down the self-damage/affliction duration.

Takkik

Takkik

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've always seen soul annihilation as a way to dumb exces focus or when you have no abilities interesting to spend. Since Poe1 I've found it's easy to end up with too much focus in short fights, and with multiclassing you end up with a limited range of abilities. For me it always worked as a extra option.

Forbidden Fist on the other end, since it alter the way you gain wounds, make other wound attacks less appealing since you gain far less. Be able to 'spam' your attacks feel more powerfull than using a few time forbidden fist. Forbidden fist would be closer to soul annihilation if it was using all your aviable wounds and doing dmg depending of the number of wounds.

Edited by Takkik, Today, 12:08 AM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Delterius, Archaven, gingersprout, Aranduin