RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

It did have a nice OST though. That's something.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

UT99 and UT2008 are the only ones I've played. o_O

UT 2008 looked ok but it just...died on release somehow, or shortly after. The bad parts were the tacked-on Tutorial campaign and the floaty controls.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Was the floatiness due to low-grav?

I remember messing with all the console commands when I was a kid, adding low gravity and infinite jumps for peeps online. Team Fortress (original) was my favorite though, back when it was free lol

The new UT kinda reminds me of LawBreakers for some reason

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

https://www.ea.com/news/details-command-and-conquer-remastered

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

A month ago, we let the Command & Conquer™ community know we were bringing the franchise back to the PC, starting with a remaster initiative. The reaction from fans has been amazing, with many of you sharing your favorite C&C moments from the past 23 years. We have been reading these comments and listening intently. And now, we are ready to reveal our first PC offering and how your suggestions are already influencing our approach.

Today, I’m thrilled to tell you we are going back to the beginning. We have decided to remaster Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn. And while this is incredibly exciting on its own, we’re also aware of how passionate the community is about the Red Alert universe. So, we will also remaster the original Command & Conquer: Red Alert™. But what about the classic expansion packs you may ask - Covert Ops, Counterstrike, and Aftermath? Well, C&C and Red Alert wouldn’t be the same without them, so all three expansion packs will be bundled with the base games into one remastered collection - without microtransactions.

In addition to the excitement and support of this remaster initiative over the past month, there has also been a healthy skepticism that we can pull this off. How are we possibly going to remaster these titles while maintaining the authenticity of the original experiences? Bottom line, there is no better way to achieve this than to partner with some of the talented developers who brought these original games to life.

So, after years of the fans asking for their involvement, I am humbled to announce that EA is going to partner with Petroglyph Games to develop the C&C remastered collection.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You've never seen anything more stupid and beautiful at the same time

As always, emulation looks like crap. Missing textures, decales, light sourcing frame issues. Gettimg close though. Just waiting for a PS3 emulator that can actually work for more than a few seconds.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Pick yoself up n try again foos!

Rip to the queen

• Like 1

So is EA going to essentially murder Westwood Studios for a second time?

Nah, they're just showing Blizzard how it's done yo! That is until everybody discovers that the remasters are only being released on the mobile phones...

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

So is EA going to essentially murder Westwood Studios for a second time?

Yeah, I'm not sure what a "remaster" would entail. Just touching up the engine to accommodate higher resolutions? Not an entirely bad idea, because the core gameplay is still fun and works today. But they already did that for The First Decade IIRC, and there's a limit to how much you can upscale that without making even Mammoths look like ants. And any changes beyond that will probably affect gameplay, and then we're crossing into remake territory, rather than "remaster".

Much as I'd like a solid C&C game, in the age of MOBAs, I can see a number of ways in which they'd botch a remake. This is EA.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Let's see how high we can run up the page count before a mod notices.

THQ Nordic has acquired Bugbear Entertainment and Coffee Stain Studios.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They won't.

Mods are already systematically wiped out by Microsoft assassins.

Delete this or we're coming for you next.

• Like 6
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Tale, please vote for Return Of Oprah Dinn to be Best Independent Game on the IGN service stream. It's on the choices :)

Are IGN doing a game awards, too?

Yarp. They sure are! :)

I linked to the voting page in the What Are You Playing Right Now thread I believe

Ohhh I see what's going on now, IGN is just live-streaming the VGA's and not doing their own. I was hoping we'd get multiple game awards, thats would have been cool.

In other news, no Random Video Game News thread has ever reached, much less passed, 50 pages.

Doing my part for history!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken