What are you playing right now?

Blarghagh

If you get the time, here's the Meiji Restoration in a nutshell:

Now I am even more confused. Satsuma and Choshu were apparently anti-western, but it doesn't look like that in the game. There even was that one pro-emperor faction that starts out with western trade routes. So I pretty much played the campaign wrong, because I've constantly developed pro-western. :D Now that might explain why my people were so pissy all the time.

/edit: Ok, it seems they wanted to use western technology to drive out westerners from Japan. Still quite hypocritical, imo.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

428 Shibuya Scramble

A popular visual novel using live action instead of drawing. It's a mystery revolving around a kidnapping case with plenty of expected Japanese wackiness. One moment you're reading about a cop chasing down an international crime syndicate operating in Shibuya, the next moment you're reading about Tama, who is stuck in a cat mascot costume and is trying to peddle a spicy drink as a dietting miracle.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Somehow I missed out on the fact that The Long Dark has a nice story campaign now. I'm playing through it and it is a really nice experience. I enjoyed it as a little survival sim back when I bought it, but having a reason to live is nice. 

Thanks for the heads up. This makes me wanna continue this Canadian desolation bonanza some day. I just recall that I almost died to a wolf straight away, I had to bolt back into that car.

It's really quite good. I'm playing on the easy difficulty, so wolves are pretty easy to scare away. But the narrative is very compelling. I'm in the town of Milton dealing with the first NPC I've met, and it seems like they've really created a good campaign to go with the survival sim aspect. 

If you get the time, here's the Meiji Restoration in a nutshell: https://youtu.be/oIiCsR9rZS8

Now I am even more confused. Satsuma and Choshu were apparently anti-western, but it doesn't look like that in the game. There even was that one pro-emperor faction that starts out with western trade routes. So I pretty much played the campaign wrong, because I've constantly developed pro-western. :D Now that might explain why my people were so pissy all the time.

/edit: Ok, it seems they wanted to use western technology to drive out westerners from Japan. Still quite hypocritical, imo.

Japanese are still known for putting on a face: private vs public morality. Its a neo-confucian thing. Japan watched the century of humiliation in China with anxiety. They opted to industrialize and try imperialism for themselves, doing Great Britain's dirty work in Korea and Manchuria. When Japan became stronk, the west became afraid, and that never ends well. ;) Edited by Ada'tyool

Lamplight City

Feels like a very cool adventure game so far, except for one thing... the main character has a voice in his head that you hear whenever you examine things, and the character has conversations with him as well. And... the voice has an extremely annoying personality and it's honestly kinda ruining a lot of the game for me. It's really too bad.

Aside from that, seems good so far.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

How is it my orders always seem to be the ones shipped on couriers that break down?  A couple of weeks ago, my book order was late a day because of some "courier delay".  Today, my Spiderman game was supposed to arrive but is delayed because of a courier issue.

Fix your damn trucks!

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I was soooo bored over last weekend that I tried some of the free "visual novels" on Steam. From the description/reviews most of these sound like glorified dating sims where you pick one out of 3-5 chrs. to romance throughout the story. There may or may not be an actual plot worth reading inside that sexy-romance arc. Most of such seem to be utter trash where I could barely get through one of the available chr. routes before turning it off as I snorted with laughter, but a couple were above grade/pretty good:

Lake of Voices - largely a moody horror tale, almost zero romance, although you do have influence/route paths for different endings with some of those being almost romantic (really really subtle). Not a very long game per route but some of the influence paths were difficult to discover and most of the endings were dark and not very "happy" at all. If you can figure out the Guide's "bad" ending path, that one was great. Although, I like dark and twisted endings, so...

Cinderella Phenomenon

Falls into the "otome" visual novel category, but in the fairy-tale romance style vs. anything "sexy." A very fracture fairy tale. I liked this one because each chr. route was almost entirely different (once past Chapt 2 or 3 anyway) from the other. The basic story-problem was the same but the viewpoint and events change quite a bit each time. The "fairy-tale curse" the female protagonist and other characters are under were great twists on commonly known fairy tales (largely Grimm fairy tales I think?). The one based on Beauty and the Beast actually almost made me sniffle. Comes with good and bad endings and the bad endings are either bittersweet/somber or outright dark/sad.

For the price of "free" those two are worth an experimental gander.

Of the other freebies I tried, even if they weren't "sexy romance" stories, they were either terribly written/translated and/or just plain boring, although I did appreciate the artstyle in some. An actual 400+ page paper novel is 10000x better ... and some of the more highly rated visual novels on Steam were $30-$40. No thanks. Maybe during a 75% off sale. :p

Edit: btw, I read too fast apparently. I had to always put the "text speed" at highest, which means all text in the box shows up at once, and I was hitting spacebar every second or two, except the occasional long paragraph. That makes most of these visual novels very short, for me. Like, an entire route in 30 minutes or less.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Noticed the squad mates in one Delta Force mission were Mother and Preacher.  Wonder if someone went on to work on Medal of Honor.  Not a bad game, really is the precursor to Modern Warfare style. 

Finally started up Phantom Doctrine as well, but only done one mission so far.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Spider-Man got delivered today, so I've just been messing around with it.  Very early in.

A couple of things:

1-Where are the side missions to do in the open world?  Only missions that seem to show up are the yellow-dot main missions.

2-In combat, I can't seem to find the button/control to focus on a single enemy.  So I'm constantly swinging the right stick around trying to locate new enemies.  One of the things I found made the Batman combat easier was you could select to target one enemy and the camera would focus on that one.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

A couple of things:

1-Where are the side missions to do in the open world? Only missions that seem to show up are the yellow-dot main missions.

2-In combat, I can't seem to find the button/control to focus on a single enemy. So I'm constantly swinging the right stick around trying to locate new enemies. One of the things I found made the Batman combat easier was you could select to target one enemy and the camera would focus on that one.

1. They open up later, as you progess. This is an open world system that's based off of/inspired by Lego Marvel games. The side-missions will be blue. As you progress in the main game, you will unlock more side-missions or if you progress fastly, you will unlock the side-missions after you complete one. It basically works as a secondary campaign in that way.

2. There is no lock-on button, it's pretty much where ever you're facing you'll hit but you can do a slow-mo manual targeting thing by holding the left-trigger (L2) down

Hope this helps, have fun! :)

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Yeah, I finally saw my first side mission.

The characters are taking me a while to get used to because I've always been more of a Batman comic fan, so I'm not all that familiar with the various Spider-Man lore (I know who Kingpin is, though).

• Like 1

A bit more Stellaris. I think there's a good chance that I'll be getting the War in Heaven, so I'm kinda tempted to go full Eldar and make a bargain with The End of the Cycle to shut them down preemptively. I just entered the mid-game and am well ahead but I have bad memories from the last time I tried to resist being press-ganged by a FE. From the event's description, it looks like one isn't supposed to recover from that, but since it doesn't actually show a game over screen, well...

Anyway, does anyone know if the different computers (artillery, line, etc) do anything more than provide flat bonuses? Looks like regardless of the described behavior, all ships only have one speed, one gear: GO, which means every battle devolves into a massive knife fight past the opening volleys.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The biggest thing though, is the new skating system. What an aromic heap! I also like that you can have outside games now too. The backgrounds of the mountains are nice and jubileus :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

A bit more Stellaris. I think there's a good chance that I'll be getting the War in Heaven, so I'm kinda tempted to go full Eldar and make a bargain with The End of the Cycle to shut them down preemptively. I just entered the mid-game and am well ahead but I have bad memories from the last time I tried to resist being press-ganged by a FE. From the event's description, it looks like one isn't supposed to recover from that, but since it doesn't actually show a game over screen, well...

Anyway, does anyone know if the different computers (artillery, line, etc) do anything more than provide flat bonuses? Looks like regardless of the described behavior, all ships only have one speed, one gear: GO, which means every battle devolves into a massive knife fight past the opening volleys.

You're not really supposed to recover from the covenant but it is possible under the right conditions. It's fun to see but it can end with an instant game over after the time runs out.

As far as the computers go, yeah, they're supposed to define the ship's role. It works better with some than others. Now I don't really know what sort of fleet compositions the current patch favors but in the past the game essentially came down to spamming evasion capped torpedo corvettes at your enemies. If that's still the case then you can only pick from one type of computer anyway. ;)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, I finally saw my first side mission.

The characters are taking me a while to get used to because I've always been more of a Batman comic fan, so I'm not all that familiar with the various Spider-Man lore (I know who Kingpin is, though).

Let us know what you think :)

NHL '19 is pretty slick. I haven't bought one in years, and it seems like they've made some pretty big improvement in all the modes across the board.

I gave up on that series because, despite the commercials and hype to the contrary, I actually found stickhandling and making highlight reel dekes even more difficult than in older versions.

I still kind of prefer the old buttons for shots, and the stick for stickhandling because often times with the new setup, I find myself taking a weak shot on net when what I'm trying to do is deke the goalie out.

You're not really supposed to recover from the covenant but it is possible under the right conditions. It's fun to see but it can end with an instant game over after the time runs out.

As far as the computers go, yeah, they're supposed to define the ship's role. It works better with some than others. Now I don't really know what sort of fleet compositions the current patch favors but in the past the game essentially came down to spamming evasion capped torpedo corvettes at your enemies. If that's still the case then you can only pick from one type of computer anyway. ;)

I guess I'll just do it. With some luck I'll see Slaanesh The Reckoning choke on the Tyranids Prethoryn.

Regarding ships I've read that mass corvette spam isn't meta anymore (guess Wiz watched the "corvette vs scourge" vid) and the balance actually leans towards mostly battleship fleets now. Which is why I was trying to make my long-range ships destroy static defenses without exposing themselves to return fire. Not possible without mods, it seems. Vanilla behavior is pedal to the metal regardless of computer role.

Anyway, I just had a pretty stupid bug. Turns out that my immortal chosen one god-administrator... lost the election. As a result, she lost the power quite literally—the Chosen One trait and the associated immortality were removed and she went back to being your run-of-the-mill psychic number cruncher. Guess you can't very well call yourself the "chosen" one if the people actually choose someone else, eh?

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

NHL '19 is pretty slick. I haven't bought one in years, and it seems like they've made some pretty big improvement in all the modes across the board.

I gave up on that series because, despite the commercials and hype to the contrary, I actually found stickhandling and making highlight reel dekes even more difficult than in older versions.

I still kind of prefer the old buttons for shots, and the stick for stickhandling because often times with the new setup, I find myself taking a weak shot on net when what I'm trying to do is deke the goalie out.

I'm not a skill stick fan either. This version has 3 different modes. You can play with classic NHL '94 buttons, a hybrid, or full skill stick.