Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ekera

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

InBetween

InBetween

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Not a conversation takes place without going over a few cliched Huana terms. At first this adds flavor to the story as developer perhaps intended but a while into the game it becomes thoroughly irritating, Ac?

• Suen, Incendax, Porcelyn and 2 others like this

Zelse

Zelse

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 97 posts

Di verus i couldnt agree more.

I cant stand Vailians for that reason in particular.

Also Serafen is hard to understand for me personally due to his strong accent and the fact that the voice actor doesnt seem to open his mouth all that much.

The last one is me nitpicking tho. I really appreciated the voiced dialogue a lot overall!

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4697 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I have a hard time with Serafen too, FWIW. Accent and using words and expressions I’m not used to.

Manveru123

Manveru123

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts

Ekera, it is so.

• ShakotanSolari likes this

TheisEjsing

TheisEjsing

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 774 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes! Because real people change their speaking patterns when the novelty of their expressions fade away.

Edited by TheisEjsing, 11 July 2018 - 07:31 AM.

• Achilles, Androoh, Tick and 11 others like this

Queeg

Queeg

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Steam:Queegon
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I have a hard time with Serafen too, FWIW. Accent and using words and expressions I’m not used to.

Serafen is fine and I'm not native English speaker. Try Udyne in bathhouse. :D

• Suen, Lord_Mord, InsaneCommander and 3 others like this

Tick

Tick

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts

Not a conversation takes place without going over a few cliched Huana terms . At first this adds flavor to the story as developer perhaps intended but a while into the game it becomes thoroughly irritating, Ac?

Two games in a series and fake language terms are already clichéd lol.

It started to really stick out and bug my brain about halfway through, especially with Tekehu. But it makes sense that the translation for "Yes" shows up everywhere and eventually my brain got used to it again. After which it sounded pretty natural.

Zelse

Zelse

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 97 posts

Yes! Because real people change their speaking patterns when the novelty of their expressions fade away.

Games are generally expected to be an improvement over reality...

If i had 1 Euro for every guy ive met who is naturally lacking in eloquence id be rich.

I dont want to spend money or my free time to listen to awful speakers repeating the same expression all the time especially if the main focus of the game is dialogue. (In the same way you dont want to play a racing game if the only available car is a honda civic and you have to stop at red lights)

Edited by Zelse, 11 July 2018 - 11:10 AM.

• Vaneglorious likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4923 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Think I'll just ignore any threads with SPOILER-ish titles. :down:

• InsaneCommander likes this

Zelse

Zelse

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 97 posts

Think I'll just ignore any threads with SPOILER-ish titles. :down:

I really respect your consistency.

Skazz

Skazz

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 654 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Isn't that the Colombian singer?

• Tick, Manveru123 and West like this

Tick

Tick

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts

That joke hurts.
  • Skazz and West like this

Purudaya

Purudaya

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts

If i had 1 Euro for every guy ive met who is naturally lacking in eloquence id be rich.

I dont want to spend money or my free time to listen to awful speakers repeating the same expression all the time especially if the main focus of the game is dialogue. (In the same way you dont want to play a racing game if the only available car is a honda civic and you have to stop at red lights)
If I had a Euro for every time a German started a sentence with the word "genau," every time a Brit ended a rhetorical statement with "is/isn't it?" or every time an American interjected the word "cool," I'd be pretty rich too ;)

Cultures have linguistic quirks. I like games that improve upon reality as well, but that doesn't mean they can't borrow from it. It would be much more immersion-breaking if all of the factions spoke the same vanilla iteration of common, imo.

Edited by Purudaya, 11 July 2018 - 11:46 AM.

• bugarup, Tick, illathid and 6 others like this

Tick

Tick

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts

If I had a Euro for every time a German started a sentence work the word "genau," every time a Brit ended a rhetorical statement with "is/isn't it?" or every time an American interjected the word "cool," I'd be pretty rich too ;)

Cultures have linguistic quirks. I like games that improve upon reality as well, but that doesn't mean they can't borrow from it. It would be much more immersion-breaking if all of the factions spoke the same vanilla iteration of common, imo.

I was listening to a podcast teaching German and the German lady said genau so frequently in such a way that it started to give me anxiety.

Should I not be saying "cool?" :(

bugarup

bugarup

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Pffffft, ignoramus. It's Mowgli's panther buddy, copasheshy capisce?

• Tick likes this

Purudaya

Purudaya

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts

If I had a Euro for every time a German started a sentence work the word "genau," every time a Brit ended a rhetorical statement with "is/isn't it?" or every time an American interjected the word "cool," I'd be pretty rich too ;)
I was listening to a podcast teaching German and the German lady said genau so frequently in such a way that it started to give me anxiety.
Should I not be saying "cool?" :(
Yeah, genau is basically the German ekera. I actually really love little colloquialisms like this - and as an American, I find "cool" and "ok" pretty much indispensable ;)

Edited by Purudaya, 11 July 2018 - 11:56 AM.

• Tick likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4697 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, genau is basically the German ekera. I actually really love little colloquialisms like this - and as an American, I find "cool" and "ok" pretty much indispensable ;)

What, no "awesome" in the American mandatory list? ;)

• Tick, Zaret Voruta and Purudaya like this

Purudaya

Purudaya

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 240 posts

What, no "awesome" in the American mandatory list? ;)
Very true, we are a perpetually awe-inspired people.

Edited by Purudaya, 11 July 2018 - 12:00 PM.

• Tick likes this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was going to create a "Gellarde" thread, but I guess it'll be merged with this one, right?

• Tick likes this

juanval

juanval

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like expressions like per complanca, merla and so. They are a mix of italian spanish and catalonian languages.

And I'm glad to see my first surname (Valera) in the game jeje.

• Tick and InsaneCommander like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users