World Cup 2018

Guard Dog

They could use a good pick-me-up after Brexit.

The English deserve nothing but failure

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Do you wanna know who will be the champion? Then "fix" the symmetry of World Champions centered in 1982. If you move one World Cup later or one earlier from that year, you'll find the same country as champion. Except in 1966/1998 and after 2002. But who knows, maybe there is a pattern.

1982 - Italy

1978, 1986 - Argentina

1974, 1990 - Germany

1970, 1994 - Brazil

1966, 1998 - England/France (1st time winning, they were the home country)

1962, 2002 - Brazil

1958, 2006 - Brazil/Italy (any relation?)

1954, 2010 - Germany/Spain (1st time winning)

1950, 2014 - Uruguay/Germany (They both defeated the home team, Brazil)

1938, 2018 - Italy/???

1934 - Italy

1930 - Uruguay

It's just a coincidence, of course. If you look hard enough you'll find something, as complicated as it may be. But I first saw this before 2002, iirc, and it was almost perfect back then.

Here is my guess: Italy won in 1938, one World Cup after being the home country (in 1934). So, since in 2014 Brazil was the home country, it wins in 2018? :p I hope so, but I don't think the team is doing well this year.

sign.jpg

Willian is awful.

Brazil would be much better off with Douglas Costa or Renato Augusto in his place.

William and Neymar are crap in this WC. They are delaying every attack instead of progressing them. Whenever they get the ball, they have to stand still for at least 2 seconds before doing anything. That annoys me so much.

Just watch England go on to win it all

I don't think they have enough beer in England at the moment if that were to happen...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They should just be refilling the kegs and hooking them up to existing cylinders though, so there's no especial need for more cylinders (just a marginal need, for temporary venues, and a need for more CO2). CO2 is laughably easy to obtain though which is why it's so cheap, so the whole thing stinks of artificial scarcity.

They should just be refilling the kegs and hooking them up to existing cylinders though, so there's no especial need for more cylinders (just a marginal need, for temporary venues, and a need for more CO2). CO2 is laughably easy to obtain though which is why it's so cheap, so the whole thing stinks of artificial scarcity.

I'd bet you're right, moments like the world cup are too good to pass up.

Just watch England go on to win it all

I don't think they have enough beer in England at the moment if that were to happen...

As a non drinker i have to laugh at people upset in any way over that :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just watch Colombia choke and lose today to enhance my disappointment with this tournament.

That was a penalty, goddamit! Man, this refree sure has a few screws loose. Now the match has become a real drag.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Senegal have been decent this WC. Terrible finishing though

For ****'s sake. They conceded

Edited by Malcador

Just watch Colombia choke and lose today to enhance my disappointment with this tournament.

I have to say, watching the Copa América in 2016 was an absolute blast. The level of competition was truly intense, so I'm really hoping Columbia makes it through.

Ed.: Ah, they did. Good then.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Why did Japan move through over Senegal? Seems arbitrary.

All things being equal, Senegal had two more yellow cards.

It would have been totally arbitrary if they had the same amount of cards, because then it would have been down to - literally - flipping a coin. ;)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.