Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

World Cup 2018

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
695 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Matches begin tomorrow (from where I am at least). Who do you like? With the US being eliminated (again) I'm pulling for Iceland because, well, why not. Iceland is a cool place (no pun).

The US, Canada, & Mexico will hots in 2026. Does that mean all three get an automatic berth. Ha, what am I saying. Canada & Mexico would be in anyway. It will be nice to see the US get eliminated in pool play rather than the year before like usual.

So who will it be?

• BruceVC, inetryconydot, Ridgemed and 3 others like this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7510 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Canada would only qualify via the host method.  Apparently though, for 2026 that isn't guaranteed for Canada.  Then again the WC is expanding to 48 teams so will be a lot of dross in there anyway (watch France STILL get the easiest group), 

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4959 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't see many appealing matches in the Group stage. The best look to be Portugal v. Spain (6/15) and England v. Belgium (6/28). But perhaps there will be a surprise or two? Maybe Mexico v. Germany or Costa Rica v. Serbia?

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 764 posts
Well Poland will win this year so I look forward to all of our matches.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7253 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock
Maybe the Polish squad will make it out of groups this year? Please? Pretty please?

Obviously our big star is Lewandowski, who is phenomenal, but we have some other decent players too.

Edited by Keyrock, 13 June 2018 - 09:52 AM.

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1291 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'll be watching for certain. Unfortunately I'll be missing the first Argentina match as I got a shoot on Saturday. But oh well. We aren't looking too hot this year but here's hoping.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2613 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
I'm guessing Holland didn't qualify, considering this is the first I've heard of it and usually it's inescapable. :lol: Whenever we're not in it, my country is salty and gives it the silent treatment.
  • algroth likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3108 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Rugby?

Nevermind

Edited by ShadySands, 13 June 2018 - 12:17 PM.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 583 posts

Group F looks like the most interesting. Germany, Mexico, South Korea, and Sweden. None of them suck. Goals scored will matter. Group A looks the most lopsided. Russia will take it pretty easily but Eqypt should be the best of the rest. 

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1291 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm guessing Holland didn't qualify, considering this is the first I've heard of it and usually it's inescapable. :lol: Whenever we're not in it, my country is salty and gives it the silent treatment.

Yeah, it's a shame because I always like Holland. They're a great team to watch and they love to spice things up when drama hits the field too (see their many confrontations v. Portugal for example). :D 

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7510 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Maybe the Polish squad will make it out of groups this year? Please? Pretty please?

Obviously our big star is Lewandowski, who is phenomenal, but we have some other decent players too.

Phenomenal ? Hm.  But certainly is a tough group.  I am hoping England screws up and goes home at the group stage

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2613 posts

Yeah, it's a shame because I always like Holland. They're a great team to watch and they love to spice things up when drama hits the field too (see their many confrontations v. Portugal for example). :D

Ugh, don't remind me. The only year I got really into football I had a huge flamewar with someone here over that match where they were literally ninja-kicking each other. :lol:
  • algroth likes this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7253 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

Phenomenal ? Hm. But certainly is a tough group. I am hoping England screws up and goes home at the group stage
You doubt Robert Lewandowski? Would you believe he once scored 5 goals in 9 minutes?

https://youtu.be/oRZFvSPJBzU

Edited by Keyrock, 14 June 2018 - 02:42 AM.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9255 posts
Don't know about Poland going through, how good is Senegal? Japan is crap.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7510 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Really ? Always expect a decent show from Japan, but they were pretty meh last time.  As for Lewandowski, no I don't doubt him, just that in terms of phenomenal players it's a higher bar. :p

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6501 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ugh, don't remind me. The only year I got really into football I had a huge flamewar with someone here over that match where they were literally ninja-kicking each other. :lol:

Was it with me? I can't remember.

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 875 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Shouldn't be an issue this time with the new video support system.

At least I hope so. I'd be glad if there wasn't a repeat of the 2014 final. *cough*

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2613 posts

Was it with me? I can't remember.

I think so, but I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't want to name names. :lol: I honestly don't know why it was such a big deal to me at the time, and tbh I'm pretty embarrassed about it looking back.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9255 posts
what a **** match

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7510 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Shouldn't be an issue this time with the new video support system.

At least I hope so. I'd be glad if there wasn't a repeat of the 2014 final. *cough*

What was wrong with the 2014 final ? :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users