RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - VISUAL NOVELS ALLOWED

i think I had Curse of Monkey Island and didn't get into it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I liked the first and second Monkey Island games the most... because I never bothered with any other due to the changed art style which I didn't liked at all. :> This is also why I didn't liked the remakes (well, and the obvious gamepad focus they had, plus you couldn't skip dialog anymore if I remember right... horrible, stupid changes)

Also the Indiana Jones games. I played Fate of Atlantis so, so, so often.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

CMI gave us Murray.  And the pirate song.  Therefore it is best.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I cried the first two times I played through Tales of Monkey Island, therefore it is the best. Who wants to fight me?

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just assume Fenix is too young to know what a huge jump the Monkey Island games were in quality.

I, for one, assume Fenix was quite simply never into adventure games at large. I'm actually pretty sure I did play Monkey Island at some point, but only like first few screens. But, at the time my family actually did have money to buy a computer, Myst was out - and that was an audiovisual revelation ... That I didn't actually enjoy at all. Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Played Monkey Island 1,2,3 back in the days. 2 was the best and the weirdest.

Briefly played Monkey Island 4 on the PS2 in 2001 but it didn't grow on me so I left it unfinished. Haven't played any Monkey Island games since then.

Btw, for those of you who are interested in the Prey: Mooncrash DLC:

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Man, I want Machine Games to make a Quake game similar to the first one. Actually, they released a free episode for Quake 1 a while ago. It would certainly be more interesting than Quake Champions.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I just assume Fenix is too young to know what a huge jump the Monkey Island games were in quality.

I, for one, assume Fenix was quite simply never into adventure games at large. I'm actually pretty sure I did play Monkey Island at some point, but only like first few screens. But, at the time my family actually did have money to buy a computer, Myst was out - and that was an audiovisual revelation ... That I didn't actually enjoy at all.

If Myst was out when you started your pc voyage, then you were a generation after the release of Monkey Island. The release of Myst was towards the end of the whole adventure game dominance, whereas Monkey Island was the height. Even though it really was only a few years, the tech was moving so quickly back then that made a huge difference.

In short, adventure games were pretty much all you had on the PC in the 80's. I started with King's Quest and The Black Cauldron, so when Monkey Island hit the scene, it was a dramatic jump in everything. If Myst was out when you jumped on board, you missed it. I never dug Myst either, we had way more quality action and RPG options by then (Might and Magic III!).

Not that it's a big deal, but as the video you posted showed, it continues to influence more modern games with the way it handled production and many of the gameplay systems. 

Edited by Hurlshot

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

New Tales of... game in the works. Nothing specific announced yet, but small teaser revealed at the end of Tales of Festival 2018.

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/news/new-tales-series-mothership-title-works

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Played Monkey Island 1,2,3 back in the days. 2 was the best and the weirdest.

Briefly played Monkey Island 4 on the PS2 in 2001 but it didn't grow on me so I left it unfinished. Haven't played any Monkey Island games since then.

Btw, for those of you who are interested in the Prey: Mooncrash DLC:

And then rinse and repeat... I'll wait for a sale.

I just love that narrator:

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Steam is launching its creator pages where you can follow and get announcements of new games.

Obsidian doesn't have one, neither does Bethesda for that matter. CD Projekt RED does, on the other hand. Paradox has two! One for developer and one for publisher.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"Deus Ex's freeze-and-strategize tactics"

What ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/evk7ak/game-developers-dump-redshell-tracking-program-after-privacy-backlash

Across Reddit and Steam forums, a few people are getting up in arms about Redshell, a tracking program that game developers use to see how well their advertising is working. To customers, Redshell represents yet another uninvited invasion of digital privacy. And while people on gaming forums being upset isn't unusual—and Redshell itself seems to be mostly harmless—developers are dumping Redshell with unusual speed.

The snowball started a week ago with a post on reddit about Holy Potatoes! We're in Space?!, a space exploration game. Within a couple of days, these small potatoes had started to grow as other users found the Redshell analytics program installed on their own games. General paranoia and frustration over digital privacy rights and surveillance fueled the spread of the post into other gaming communities. The list expanded into a Google spreadsheet that included games like Civilization VI, Kerbal Space Program, and Elder Scrolls Online.

Seems like something people shouldn't be too surprised at.

WHO states that there exist Gaming Addition

http://www.who.int/health-topics/international-classification-of-diseases

Serious: Probably exist, there are online disorders or eating disorders, could be gaming.

Pros: Scientists could publish research about VGA, also get funds for that.

Public health system could fund therapy either by psychotherape or alternative like soccer youth team, or painting lessons.

There could be complex disorder with compulive gaming being easy to spot, but ill could have more in mind, like depression or something like that.

Less Serious: Can i take sick day to play Deadfire?

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/evk7ak/game-developers-dump-redshell-tracking-program-after-privacy-backlash

Across Reddit and Steam forums, a few people are getting up in arms about Redshell, a tracking program that game developers use to see how well their advertising is working. To customers, Redshell represents yet another uninvited invasion of digital privacy. And while people on gaming forums being upset isn't unusual—and Redshell itself seems to be mostly harmless—developers are dumping Redshell with unusual speed.

The snowball started a week ago with a post on reddit about Holy Potatoes! We're in Space?!, a space exploration game. Within a couple of days, these small potatoes had started to grow as other users found the Redshell analytics program installed on their own games. General paranoia and frustration over digital privacy rights and surveillance fueled the spread of the post into other gaming communities. The list expanded into a Google spreadsheet that included games like Civilization VI, Kerbal Space Program, and Elder Scrolls Online.

"tracking" "mostly harmless", those don't belong in the same sentence without a negation.

• Like 3

It's Vice, they're a corporate stooge so long as it's the right corporates. They'd also be concerned saying anything that might put gamers in a positive light lest said gamers turn out to have 'gator' at the end.

WHO states that there exist Gaming Addition

http://www.who.int/health-topics/international-classification-of-diseases

Serious: Probably exist, there are online disorders or eating disorders, could be gaming.

Pros: Scientists could publish research about VGA, also get funds for that.

Public health system could fund therapy either by psychotherape or alternative like soccer youth team, or painting lessons.

Less Serious: Can i take sick day to play Deadfire?

You can get addicted to gaming for sure, I very much doubt it's unique enough to deserve a separate category though. You can get addicted to pretty much anything that has a reward reaction, as it's the reward reaction you usually get addicted to.

It's Vice, they're a corporate stooge so long as it's the right corporates. They'd also be concerned saying anything that might put gamers in a positive light lest said gamers turn out to have 'gator' at the end.

Yeah, quite obviously so. There's so much wrong with that article...

To comply with the General Data Protection Regulation—or GDPR—in Europe, Redshell began encrypting IP addresses and Steam IDs

Just...no...that's not how the GDPR works. Encrypting information you don't have the right to collect in the first place doesn't suddenly make you GDPR compliant.

It's also funny that they mention it not being in the EULA for at least one game, as if it being in there would have somehow made a difference. Afaiu (ianal) you need explicit consent for the collection of any personally identifiable data, these things being hidden in EULAs nobody reads that are written in legalese being exactly one of the things the GDPR was designed to combat.

The entire thing seems like a massive GDPR violation and given the speed with which it was dropped it seems as though the companies involved (or their lawyers at least) are well aware of it...

Could be pretty interesting if someone decided to take this to court. Preferably a German one as they're seemingly quite fast and keen to set examples when it comes to privacy given ICANN was one of the first to lose a case about the GDPR for requiring more data than they strictly needed.

EDIT: typo

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 2

"tracking" "mostly harmless", those don't belong in the same sentence without a negation.

Well, Vice was the only one I had found at the time, It's on PCG and others now.   Interestingly some people are a-okay with it, some saying it's needed to make the games better.