Everything posted by Wormerine
-
Dev Support
Wormerine replied to peardox's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire: Modding (Spoiler Warning!)I would rather have them do, whatever it is they are doing. They are game devs, not streamers or weekly online friends. Whenever there is new thing happening it is great to be able to communicate with devs, ask questions, see their perspective. As it is right now, I know that if there is Obsidian stream I have a reason to watch it. If they do it weekly no matter if they have something to discuss or not, then I will simply stop watching them all together.
-
Star Citizen
Even if the pull it together it seems like a game that will get dull very fast. Take a break for real life errands, to do errands in space world. I can’t wait to play star citizen and ride a metro system to the space port! Really, just a single player campaign would have been grand. Can I have my Freespace3 now?
-
Seeker, Slayer, Survivor not triggering
It's also possible that Obsidian assumes one might go to Magran's Teeth sooner than I tend to go. I generally do all available faction quests first, which means I am pretty much done with majority of games content. In future playthroughs I will probably try to go to MT ASAP to be able to not do SSS in one go.
-
Difficulty fixed yet?
Wormerine replied to mightyjules's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)Well, we are talking about PotD, which unfortunately due to XP float and a lot of mid level optional content you will be way overleveled for half of the game. I found DLC to be really well balanced for the level they are designed for and they scale well. I played both on Veteran and they gave me precisely the level of challenge as advenrtised - keep me on my toes and pay attention to what is happening with occasional death. I hope of a much bigger challenge on my current PotD run. No one advocates increasing lower difficulties, but a more consistant challenge throuout the experience would be welcome. Certainly going to mod the game for my 3rd run. With the loose design of Deadfire I am not sure how Obsidian could fix the difficulty curve.
-
Questionable quest design - Terms of Trade/Dim Prospects *spoilers*
Yeah, I don’t think you can talk to him about the notes if you destroyed the adra - only if you kept it in one peace, in which case chief tries to confiscate the notes nd hide them. I agree that in this particular quest the “drama” seems a bit artificial.
-
Seeker, Slayer, Survivor not triggering
It should trigger of you enter your ship after Magran’s Teeth.
-
Rumours about acquisition by Microsoft
Don’t know much about gaming politics - is it a new turn for Obsidian? They worked with publishers before. Or is that entirely different kind of a deal (the previous ones being one game contracts, while here they will be subjects of Microsofts will?).
-
Difficulty fixed yet?
Wormerine replied to mightyjules's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)There is so much optional content that somewhere above level 10 you will start running into quests below your level, and challenge goes down. Scaling doesn't quite fix things. Expansions and the megaboss are great. I doubt it will get much better than that, unless they seriosuly rebalance XP distribution, though I doubt they would aim it at completionists. There is also a mod, which aparently makes things harder (didn't try it myself just yet).
-
Rumours about acquisition by Microsoft
Came here after RPS report about Kodaku report. Having a publisher support comes with a cash to support a bigger project. But man, major publishers so rarely make actual games nowadays, unless it's Sony exclusive. Still we won't get game on scale of Fallout: New Vegas with crowdfunding.
-
Eothas is Thaos (not literally, duh)
Wormerine replied to Wormerine's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Stories (Spoiler Warning!)haha! Good one. Not really a GoT fan. I gave up halfway through the first episode, when mentioned character was stripped naked by her brother with a comment: "Oh my, how have you grown up." More titties within 15 minutes of the show than I had a patience to handle. I know, it gets better later on.
-
Baldur's Gate 3?
I dunno. Make a roll with a disadvantage.
-
Baldur's Gate 3?
It is called like that, because we talk about it now. Would we have such a lengthy, passionate discussion, if it was just a game in D&D setting? IPs are a powerful thing. Whatever this BG3 will be, I hope it will be decent, preferably seperate from Bhaalspawn saga. But whenever it will be good or bad, attaching it to beloved series does force me to be somewhat intrigued: if I will like it, hate it, or be indifferent about it remains to be seen, but I will keep my eye for it. And that why it is Baldurs Gate3.
-
This game has the worst crpg combat ever.
Wormerine replied to Zelse's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)@Khagmas I will agree with you that multiclassing messed up original system quite bit. Original PoE was built to support soft multiclassing - yes, you couldn’t mix wizard with fighter by you could make wizard-fighter by picking certain talents. Adding multiclassing to old system simply wouldn’t work. Probably, if Obs keep the old system and add couple variables probably everyone would be happy. Too bad they are not a lazy developer. *genuine, no sarcasm here* Deadfire does open new possibilities, but it’s classes are more specialised - I would say it is more of a redesign of the system, rather than iteration or straight up upgrade. Multiclassing is really well done, though. It is clear what you get/can get, and building a character you want is as simply as picking two classes which best fit to what you wanna do. Easily my fav multiclassing system I have seen so far - better than original BGs, not as overwhelmingly confusing as NWN2. I would say a hybrid classes (like cipher) suffer the most as their flexibility isn’t a unique feature anymore. Though with recent DLC I started to appreciate the unending source of heals, mindcontrol and damage that my cipher provides. The new DLC showed how good combat could have been with tighter focus and better encounter design. We even get a genuine resource management in Survivor fights, for the first time in this type of game. I don’t love PEN system, but I still wonder, if it does have serious issues, or if people complaint because it does a good job communicating when you are being inneffective (where in PoE1 I never changed my weapons, and probably were hitting enemies for no damage). My issue with it is, that it rarely leads to interesting decision making.
-
How to steal tablet from Arkemyr's house?
Wormerine replied to almostdead's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Stories (Spoiler Warning!)It's also possible to be all sneaky, without combat, if you have high enough mechanic skills to open the vault without the gem - you can sneak in through basement of luminus bathhouse, alas make sure to disarm security system, before ramming through the wall.
-
This game has the worst crpg combat ever.
Wormerine replied to Zelse's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)Thank you. I was about to.
-
Upgrading the "Uniternity Engine"/ "Pillars of Eternity Technology"
As my friend like to say: "If something seems simple, that means you don't know enough about it." PS. I don't either. But I imagine Deadfire engine got modified quite a bit, and porting PoE1 over to PoE2 engine would be quite an undertaking, and it was confirmed as a big investment both time and money wise, when Josh was asked about remastering PoE1 a while ago.
-
Casting outside of Combat
Wormerine replied to Heijoushin's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)I do agree that the overlap of the same abilities throughout different gameplay branches would be a great design - I think that is one of the thing Divinities did really well, and managed to keep pre-combat buffing, while at the same time making it quite trash (not many spells you can cast before entering combat before they expire). Overall, it would be cool if Deadfire had more utility spells/abilities, though the current system doesn't really support it. I think, what I really want in my head is tight combination of IE style game with Fallout2. IE style prebuffing is a no-no for me though. I don't think Deadfire would suffer to much if it were implimented (to few spells long for long enough to make it worth it) but some spells would be a must cast as: 1) without per rest system they would be free 2) they would make you much stronger until they expire.
-
Loving the game, but I have some serious gripes.
Wormerine replied to mmaruda's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)I think that game would greatly benefit from revamped Ship2ship combat system, I am not into making it in a different game genre. I really like that you still act like a captain. I think what they went for is a great idea, it just needs to be... well good. Mechanically. The way game is presented isn't that relavant. The problem is that ship2ship combat is repetitive, and doesn't allow you to make interesting ship builds/choices. I can't think of how you would included horses in Deadfire. Beast of Winter was awesome.
-
Baldur's Gate 3?
I can't say I know, or follow much the D&D tabletop stuff. You might have a point and a better insight. It would, however, question the decision to approach the project from that perspective, though IP owners aren't know to make rational decision (seriously, they are making a D&D movie?!). What D&D has is a solid system, and if they got for more accesible action system they loose pretty much the only reason to use D&D. Unless people care much more about D&D world than I think they would. If it would be CDPR who would be working on it, that wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities - Cyberpunk is an adaptation of TableTop as well. Though who know it will be until we hear or see anything about this potential D&D project if it were them. What I would hope for is D&D trying to compete in Divinity: Original Sin market, rather than blockbuster market.
-
Baldur's Gate 3?
Mighty Number 9. had more issues than not living up to nostalgia hype though. I take it that Megaman 11 is decent.
-
Baldur's Gate 3?
Didn't bunch of key Bioware devs leave the company? Anyone know what they are up to and if still in gaming? To be honest I have no idea who could be doing it. I doubt it's a major AAA project. While a D&D project would be welcome I am not too interested in actual Baldur's Gate sequel.
-
XCOM 2
I am glad this drops. I am ready to dip back into XCOM. I am pretty sure they are working on XCOM3 - Jake wasn’t in charge of this content. They are probably keeping xcom in peoples minds, that’s all. It’s a nice content to - adds stuff for those who are willing to replayed campaign, but mostly give new, shorter content to play through. We will see how things will go, but after I make my way through scenarios I might ditch XCOM2 and reinstall XCOM1 with long war. Not a fan of LongWar2, and vanilla firaxis XCOMs are far too scripted and predictable to be engaging on 2nd playthrough. I started one not too long ago, and got bored within couple missions. I wish there was a decent mod for WotC as its a pretty good expansion.
-
Eothas is Thaos (not literally, duh)
Wormerine replied to Wormerine's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Stories (Spoiler Warning!)It's all for the greater good
-
To buy or not to buy PoE2
Wormerine replied to Jackjonez's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)I don’t think you can go wrong with Deadfire, though I always recommend waiting till game is fully patched and improved, especially if you are not interested in replaying it multiple times. First of all, game systems have changed a lot. While they didn’t abandon what made PoE (and IE enjoyable) it did a lot of changes to the system. Be prepared for different builds, and read tool tips, tutorials and ability descriptions. Interupts specifically work differently than in PoE makin your specific build non existent. I personally feel the changes are for a better, making combat cleaner and more... intentional? However, because combat encourages and revolves more around active abilitites, it can suffer even more than PoE1 when difficulty slides into brainless territory - which unfortunately happens in the latter half of the game due to many optional mid level content and not so much high level content (getting fixed by expansions, though). Overall quality of the game has improved a lot - a lot of fat has been cut, and it is one of those rare RPG, which is both overwhelmingly sprawling and doesn’t waste your time. In spite of what other people said: the writing is overall great, but the loose structure of the title makes it difficult to latch onto any particular storyline or arch. While Deadfire and it’s factions are really well done, I wish Eothas story thread got a bit more “screen time”, though the entire game’s story is quite impressively intertwined with each other. There is a lot of good stuff in it, but the player needs to dig a bit for it, which is not ideal. By contrast DLC present much more straight forward, limited stories, with some really neat set pieces, and they just end up having more momentum. Not a fan of returning companions. Seeing Eder, Aloth and Pallegina is nice, but while new companions seem to have place in Deadfire, the old bunch is just kinda there, especially poor Eder.
-
Casting outside of Combat
Wormerine replied to Heijoushin's topic in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire General Discussion (NO SPOILERS)Good thing that fighter alone has plenty abilities to block enemies from engaging your back line, draw enemies back to him or allow companions to safely disengage.