Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Saw Wolverine Days of Future Past. Was good, but failed to flesh out characters besides Wolverine very well.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Liked Days of Future Past, also loled at how they retconned all the previous x-man movies.

It's actually pretty savvy, they've rebooted in a way that they can still draw from the previous films without being chained to them. 

• Like 1

It's actually pretty savvy, they've rebooted in a way that they can still draw from the previous films without being chained to them. 

I did not actually mind it, or was against it, it was just kind of funny to me.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Liked Days of Future Past, also loled at how they retconned all the previous x-man movies.

And they can recast Gambit like they did...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

After watching the Hannibal TV Series, I decided to watch the movies again. Haven't watched them in a long time.

Manhunter (1986). When watching this, I immedately noticed two things. The first is how much the TV series is like this movie with Hugh Dancy (from the TV Series) looks like a young William Peterson. The second is the character of Will Graham acts very similar but one notable difference, in the movie he describes what's happening and the schlock horror isn't present which I find very effective. It's almost as if the TV show is mostly based on this movie with snippets from the other movies. The way WIlliam Peterson's Will Graham goes through the scenes by himself, working out things and talking to himself. It was like watching the TV show. Also, Will Graham doesn't rely as much on Hannibal and is able to work out a lot of the things in the movie by himself. Great performances from all the actors.

Red Dragon (2002). I immediately watched this after Manhunter and it was jarring to see Edward Norton in the very first scene coming from William Peterson's portrayal in Manhunter. While I'm a fan of Norton in other movies, he's horribly miscast in this movie. There's a bit of schlock horror when he's describing the same scenes of the first murder which isn't present in Manhunter and it doesn't add anything to the scene. It really is a step down for the WIll Graham character in this movie.

The reporter Lounds in Manhunter had a better role and was able to make him more of a character. You really didn't like him at all in the original movie. Hoffman would have done a better job had he been given the opportunity but there's no character development due to the script. The script is quite poor in a lot of areas and character development really suffers. It was the same as the Jack Crawford character. Better portrayed in Manhunter with Dennis Farina. Harvey Keitel doesn't bring anything to Red Dragon and I blame the script for that as well.

There were some things that were better in Red Dragon like the start with Lecter being captured. It is interesting to see what scenes work better in each movie. There was also a lot more emphasis on the Hannibal character in Red Dragon when he should have been a minor character. It seemed Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal was competing for screen time with Ralph Fiennes' Dolarhyde. One good point with Red Dragon is it's more true to the book than Manhunter. What I didn't like was Will Graham in this version relied too much on Hannibal compared to the original movie where he works a lot of stuff out himself.

I'd probably go with Manhunter due to Norton being horribly miscast, terrific performance from William Peterson, better character development and some scenes just worked better in the original movie, including scenes without the cheap schlock horror.

Silence of the Lambs. (1991)  Really enjoyed this after so many years of not seeing it. Scott Glenn does an amazing job as Jack Crawford. He comes across as competent and knows what he's talking about. It was also a stark contrast with Anthony's Hopkins portrayal of Lecter in this movie compared to Red Dragon. In Red Dragon, he was almost comical in some scenes. In this movie, he only appears for a brief time, around 16 minutes in a 2hr movie, but his performance is quite intelligent and menacing. Also was taken back with how young Jodie Foster is.

• Like 1

Saw Wolverine Days of Future Past. Was good, but failed to flesh out characters besides Wolverine very well.

I felt Wolverine was reduced to a plot device. Any time he actually gets to do something it's relate exposition to the other characters and get taken out of the action, whether by his opponent, or by having temporal seizures. He spent pretty much every action sequence incapacitated.

I felt Wolverine was reduced to a plot device. Any time he actually gets to do something it's relate exposition to the other characters and get taken out of the action, whether by his opponent, or by having temporal seizures. He spent pretty much every action sequence incapacitated.

This is basically how I feel. Although they did sort of gimp themselves with the adamantium not being built into him yet. Meant he couldn't do as much as they may have desired. I was a bit annoyed that we didn't get Wanda in the show, or either of the Summers children given that all of them show up in one form or another during the process.

The disappearance of Havoc was probably the biggest one, but I guess if they had him along the climax would have been moot.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So apparently Marvel doesn't have a very good relationship with Fox, as they are actively trying not to promote the Fox movies with comics. They are supposedly starting to push the Inhumans as a replacement for X-men, and may go as far as cancelling their Fantastic Four titles so as not to help promote the upcoming FF movie. Rumor started with FF and X-men characters being absent from a Marvel 75th anniversary book, and a leaked memo for trading card artists not to use any characters from or relating to the FF in an upcoming card set.

Comicbookmovie.com seems to think its to try to get the FF rights back by devaluing the brand.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Days of Future Past

Why didn't Mystique simply destroy Trasks reputation?

Because he experimented and killed mutants. She wanted revenge.

So apparently Marvel doesn't have a very good relationship with Fox, as they are actively trying not to promote the Fox movies with comics. They are supposedly starting to push the Inhumans as a replacement for X-men, and may go as far as cancelling their Fantastic Four titles so as not to help promote the upcoming FF movie. Rumor started with FF and X-men characters being absent from a Marvel 75th anniversary book, and a leaked memo for trading card artists not to use any characters from or relating to the FF in an upcoming card set.

Comicbookmovie.com seems to think its to try to get the FF rights back by devaluing the brand.

Damn... That Disney business training really rubbed of on them.

Days of Future Past

Why didn't Mystique simply destroy Trasks reputation?

Because he experimented and killed mutants. She wanted revenge.

Yes? Destroing his reputation would have been much better way of doing it. That way you destroy his future, everything he has been working for, and his life. Watch everybody slowly turn their backs at him until he has nothing and no one.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Yes? Destroing his reputation would have been much better way of doing it. That way you destroy his future, everything he has been working for, and his life. Watch everybody slowly turn their backs at him until he has nothing and no one.

At that point she's still "good and Innocent". Plus she is young and filled with rage, she was not thinking clearly as the whole movie pointed out.

Edited by Sarex

Personally I preferred Rebecca Romijn in the role of Mystique, can't see why they've replaced her with the young and less delightfully spiteful wide faced girl that is in X Men: Moody Blues Cover. Romijn had a great ability to say a lot without words that the young lady does not, plus she was obviously far easier on the eye.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I gotta hand it to the advertising folks at Dimension Films for a BRILLIANT piece of advertising.  So they put out a bunch of character posters for Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, standard practice, including one featuring Eva Green and her sweet baby Jesus awesome breasts, knowing full well the MPAA would reject it because lord almighty Eva Green's amazing breasts.  Predictably, the MPAA rejected the poster, turning it into a "story", which in turn means 1000% more people will see the poster than would have otherwise, which in turn, likely means a lot more people going to see the movie because great googly moogly Eva Green's awesome breasts.

In a related story, I'm so going to see this movie (I was going to anyway, since Sin City is one of my favorite movies ever).

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Glengarry Glen Ross

Alec Baldwin sets the tone and Al Pacino gives the best talkdowns to Kevin Spacey, all while Jack Lemmon did the role of his life.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Frozen (2013). I watched this today because one of the main character's (Elsa) will be appearing in the TV show Once Upon a Time next season and I have no idea who or what that character is. I don't get around to watching the classic Disney animated movies anymore but this was actually quite good. And now I can't wait to see her in the TV show.

Saw Maleficient over the weekend. Thought it was pretty good; I think there's a few things they could have developed in a stronger fashion (and rumors of at least 15 minutes cut from the film makes me think some of that may have been).

Still it was a fun revisionist fantasy telling of the Disney version of the fairy tale.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

300: Rise of an Empire (2014). Watched this and not as good as the first one. It was okay but really couldn't connect with the main lead. It was like watching a mix of Spartacus and Strike Back with Sullivan Stapleton as the main character. Felt like a straight to dvd release instead of a blockbuster like the first movie. Seen the first one a few times but this I wouldn't watch again.

Non-Stop (2014). This was fun to watch and really enjoyed it. Liam Neeson was great and I love these type of plane thriller disaster movies. Liam Neeson is beginning to look a little type-cast, however he plays this role well so I don't care.

The Man from Earth.

Wow....I....wow.

It took me awhile, but I found it streaming on Hulu.  I'm watching it now.

Best movie I've seen where nothing happens and people just sit and talk.

Yep, although I get the feeling it would work better as a theater piece.

it was a theatre piece.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The Book Thief - starring Geoffrey Rush

Entertaining movie set in Germany circa WW2 - 

The basic plot is as follows (copied from IMDB)

In 1938, the young girl Liesel Meminger is traveling by train with her mother and her younger brother when he dies. Her mother buries the boy in a cemetery by the tracks and Liesel picks up a book, "The Gravediggers Handbook", which was left on the grave of her brother and brings it with her. Liesel is delivered to a foster family in a small town and later she learns that her mother left her because she is a communist. Her stepmother, Rosa Hubermann, is a rude but caring woman and her stepfather, Hans Hubermann, is a simple kind-hearted man. Liesel befriends her next door neighbor, the boy Rudy Steiner, and they go together to the school. When Hans discovers that Liesel cannot read, he teaches her using her book and Liesel becomes an obsessed reader. During a Nazi speech where the locals are forced to burn books in a bonfire, Liesel recovers one book for her and the Major's wife Ilsa Hermann witnesses her action. Meanwhile Hans hides the Jewish Max Vandenburg who is the son of a deceased friend that saved his life in the war, in the basement of his house and Liesel becomes his friend. One day, Rosa asks Liesel to deliver laundry to the Major and Ilsa invites Liesel to go to her library and tells that she can visit her to read whenever she wants. But in times of war there are many threats and the lives of Liesel, her family and friends will never be the same.

Really liked this - much better than I expected it to be.  :)

Edited by kgambit