Movies you've seen recently

Tale

A Long Way Down.

Pierce Brosnan, Toni Collette, Imogen Poots and Aaron Paul as four strangers who all meet each other on New Years Eve as they plan to commit suicide jumping from the top of a London tower block, and end up forming a pact to not kill themselves until Valentines Day.

As the story moves along it cycles from each one's perspective in a way. A bit of wry and black humour, along with a certain dose of sentimentality and drama. Manages to pull of that strange mix of light-hearted but sombre atmosphere along the way.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

THE MAGNETIC MONSTER (1953) - OSI (science agents, or A-Men) track a mysterious object creating radiation that kills AND magnetizes metal (including cars, planes, etc). Pretty unusual 50s Sci-Fi, part Dragnet, part-disaster film. Uses some interesting stock footage from the German film GOLD (1934) and stock shots of the old MANIAC computer* and UCLA's differential analyizer for fans of old science equipment. 1st of 3 OSI films from Ivan Tors.

*this leads to one of the best lines in the movie, when Richard Carlson tells the police/military they're compiling data and feeding it to MANIAC, one of the police responds with "What maniac?"

WARRIORS OF THE WASTELAND (1983) aka "The New Barbarians" - post apocalyptic sci-fi for those either (a) obsessed with dune buggies or (b) disappointed that THE ROAD WARRIOR played too coy with the homosexuality of the villains. Scorpion rejected joining the Templars (a group dedicated to killing all life because life caused the apocalypse) and instead he helps people while competing with Nadir (a super-warrior of the wasteland always looking for a fight). Pilgrims come through and are targeted for death by the Templars and the heroes try to save them. Some nice explosions and violence, really bad modded sci-fi cars, loads of goofy (and sometimes poorly explained) ideas and great bad dialogue (at least in the English language version).

For example, the following during a speech from Templar villain, ONE:

SHADOW: "The men I sent to make sure Scorpian was killed have returned!"

ONE: "Punish those men, don't they know its against the rules to interrupt me?"

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Escaflowne: a girl in Gaea. Beautiful movie with excellent soundtrack, but it really needed at least another half hour. Plot and character development flew by way too fast; people unfamiliar with the series probably have a hard time understanding it.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Happy 45th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11. Why not celebrate with the best feature-length film made about it... that was made, and set, in Australia:

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

The Wild Bunch (Director's Cut)

Incredible movie about brotherhood and redemption. Highly recommended.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I watched transcendence with a friend yesterday. What a terrible film. Don't waste your time on this terrible script, terrible directing and terrible pacing. I don't want to dirty more words on it. Just avoid. It's not even so bad it's good, it's just bad.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The Secret Life of Walter Witty.

A very untypical Ben Stiller piece, but probably the best one of his career. It's a travel/personal development movie, that focus on the need to escape or staying in the present. Not really great by any standards - a good feel good movie, that's pretty stupid at times, but always endearing.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

I watched transcendence with a friend yesterday. What a terrible film. Don't waste your time on this terrible script, terrible directing and terrible pacing. I don't want to dirty more words on it. Just avoid. It's not even so bad it's good, it's just bad.

I wish I had seen this before I watched it myself. I don't know what went wrong - it had all the right ingredients to be a good, thought provoking science fiction movie and then it's like everybody just decided "eh, let's make this movie terrible on purpose just for a laugh and see how many people will notice".

• Like 1

Bad Lieutenant 1992, with Harvey Keitel.

I like Harvey Keitel, but this was a strange, strange and bleak film. Also, the amount of alcohol and drugs in this movie is record-breaking. I mean, every 1-2 minutes the protagonist is either drinking booze or taking.....

A: Crack

B: Cocaine

C: Crystal

D: Heroine

E: Different kinds of prescription drugs 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes and then went to the movie theater to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I liked them both. I enjoyed the scenery and I personally felt that there was some good acting in the movies. I especially liked Koba.

The Expendables 3.

They all have obvious fun just playing around with it, and that is entertaining viewing in its own way.

The Expendables 3.

They all have obvious fun just playing around with it, and that is entertaining viewing in its own way.

Pretty popular too  http://torrentfreak.com/expendables-3-leaks-online-100k-copies-down-in-hours-140725/

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What a sad thread. It's like reading twitters of completely random people. They say what they've eaten today and nobody cares and nobody comments, nothing to discuss. What a sad thing. I'm out of here.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

To be fair, it's not one I think is worth the cinema trip, but it is one I plan to pick up for the dvd library.

What a sad thread. It's like reading twitters of completely random people. They say what they've eaten today and nobody cares and nobody comments, nothing to discuss. What a sad thing. I'm out of here.

Oh, that's just because you aren't a part of this community.  Most that do post here have been talking for years and use these types of threads instead of Twitter or other social media.  

For example, I had no interest in the new Spider-Man films, but after a few people here whose interests I commonly share posted what a enjoyable movie series it is turning into, I got on board.  Now you don't tend to see a lot of exposition and discussion about newer movies because no one wants to spoil them and many don't get to watch until after they are out of theaters, so this thread doesn't have the same depth as many others.  When a really good movie comes out, this thread livens up a bit.

But honestly Bester you are better off sticking to your anti-kickstarter caricature.  You've scored some real gems about the follies of crowd funding and your voice is a good counterweight to all the folks that look at them through rose-tinted glasses.  It doesn't really fit in with the close community threads you find in the WoT section, and I imagine most people will simply ignore them from here on out.