Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Glory 1989.

I find it funny that the movie doesn't live up to its title, there certainly was glory in raising and leading the first all black regiment in the civil war to battle, despite all the odds and racism even among the union, but all the glory was completely lost in the blatant stupidity of war.
Seeing a bunch of people desperately and ecstatically rushing to their certain obliteration is not what I consider glorious, neither does a feeling of glory overcome me when I see hundreds of people stabbing, shooting and beating the crap out of each other like animals. 

I don't get that film. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I saw the RoboCop remake. Surprisingly, it was good. A completely different version of the story, using the same basic ideas. Exactly what a remake should do. Only downside is that it liked beating you over the head with the allegory stick. "We're talking about real life drones, get it? GET IT?"

Justice League War, pretty good, but if these are accurate portrayals of DCs New 52 characters... WTF. Green Lantern was a prick, Superman was a prick, Captain Marvel/Shazam was a prick. Not cool DC.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Mystery of Happiness an Argentinian movie I saw at the Sydney Film Festival because my partner wanted see a movie at the festival. It was meh and a bit creepy weird at times. But because it's an independent film screening at film festivals, it seems to be getting good reviews and the reviewers don't even criticise or gloss over the adultery (implied or otherwise) because it's all about 'happiness' that the characters are enjoying. ugh. Pretentious dreck.

Love. Love. Love. was a nice little short 10 min Russian film that screened before The Mystery of Happiness which was far better.

X-Men Days of Future Past. Great movie can't wait for the next one which will have my favorite villain in it.

• Like 1

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

When I think X-Men villains I think Magneto, Apocalypse, Mr Sinister, and Sentinels. Kinda crazy we had to go through 6 movies to get Sentinels, and 7 to get Apocalypse and Mr Sinister.

Devastatorsig.jpg

When I think of X-Men Villains, I think Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, the Hellfire Club, the Brood, Dark Phoenix, Arcade and The Stranger.

What can I say, I read X-Men's 60s and 70s stuff more than anything else...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

When I think of X-Men Villains, I think Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, the Hellfire Club, the Brood, Dark Phoenix, Arcade and The Stranger.

What can I say, I read X-Men's 60s and 70s stuff more than anything else...

I was born in 82, so I read mostly 80s and 90s and watched the cartoons

We're getting Mr Sinister?

that's the rumor. He was a major part of age of apocalypse.

What would be sweet would be to gt Mojo for the flick after.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

Really, really, really surprised by "Edge of Tomorrow". Was expecting to groan through the whole movie, instead it held my attention from beginning to end. Recommending it to anyone who wants a good popcorn sc-fi movie.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Edge of Tomorrow.

I actually quite liked it. You spend the first quarter of the film disliking Cruise's character quite a bit. They handle the time loop aspect in a fairly interesting manner, and managed to switch up a few things as it went along without getting too silly.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Holy Jesus, I just watched Jobs.

I have 100% no idea what they were trying to say with that film. Jobs kicks his pregnant girlfriend out of their house and that gives him the strength to have a good show at the Computer Faire? Woz leaves the company because Jobs is a prick, so that gets him to shave and dress professionally? 

All of Jobs' meltdowns were written in such a way that you never saw the instigation and you never saw him portrayed as being wrong. It also glazed straight over any of the consequences. He comes off as just a guy that gets super stressed out at times, and not the colossal **** that he was. 

A movie called "night of the demons" from 89 i guess. A real trash horror flick but fun anyway with some creepy demon stuff and sexy chicks... hehe!

Well what else... tried return of the living dead 5 rave to the grave and yes that is a real graveyard of a "movie" and so i skipped it after some time in it. Couldnt watch that damn thing and just viewed some funny scenes from rotld 2 :)

hmm... anyone can point out some good and scary recent movie without the "camera shacking the whole movie" thing?

22 Jump Street

It was hilarious. As good as the first.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

22 Jump Street

It was hilarious. As good as the first.

It was probably better than Jobs.

So, do they continue the running gag from the trailers and poster that it is a shameless sequel?

They run that through a few.

The first one made a joke out of being a shameless reboot.

Started watching Crow's Zero, because people said it's good. After half of it I kicked it out. Can't remember when I've seen something this stupid the last time.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

When I think X-Men villains I think Magneto, Apocalypse, Mr Sinister, and Sentinels. Kinda crazy we had to go through 6 movies to get Sentinels, and 7 to get Apocalypse and Mr Sinister.

After watching Days of Future Past I went out and bought the original with the biggest case of rose tinted glasses I've ever had. I realised about fifteen minuets in what a horrible mistake I'd made. I was expecting Chris Nolan's Batman and instead got the Adam West TV show. It was so cheesy. It's probably a good thing it took six movies to get the sentinels.  

Edited by Serrano

A movie called "night of the demons" from 89 i guess. A real trash horror flick but fun anyway with some creepy demon stuff and sexy chicks... hehe!

Well what else... tried return of the living dead 5 rave to the grave and yes that is a real graveyard of a "movie" and so i skipped it after some time in it. Couldnt watch that damn thing and just viewed some funny scenes from rotld 2 :)

hmm... anyone can point out some good and scary recent movie without the "camera shacking the whole movie" thing?

1988 - NIGHT OF THE DEMONS, US, Directed by Kevin Tenney? Its a fun flick from the time as I recall.  Another horror film from the 80s with Linnea "Return of the Living Dead" Quigley in it.  Thought the end stinger was lame, though as I recall.  Two sequels I've never seen were made and a remake came out about 5 years ago of middling reputations.

For 80s era Demon movies, I'm probably more partial to Lamberto Bava's Dèmoni even if it makes less sense (in the typical Italian horror way) than NotD.

For my part, watched HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2.  I enjoyed it, but less so than the first.  Certain themes were hit so hard they became preachy and the middle section was somewhat slow (substituting family bonding with the Hiccup-Toothless bonding of the first film during the same part of the film).  Action was good, but none of the set pieces matched the end of the first.  Still, as I said I did enjoy it and it was a decent film if not as good as the first.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Lego Movie. I got impatient and ordered it off Amazon instant. The rave reviews were well-earned.

• 2 weeks later...