Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

If you watch it for mythology you'll hate it. It screws up everything from a mythological perspective. :hah:

Watched Ragnorak last night. Easily the worst of the three Thors.

Different strokes, I think it's the best movie in the entire MCU. First time they captured the hilarity of Stan Lee-Jack Kirby comics.
  • Like 4

I enjoyed all three, but the weak spot was the second one, IMO.  It has its moments, but I think the story was half-baked.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't care as much about retelling the mythos, it's more it's far removed from the naturalist world of the source material. So it ends up feeling like a bunch of lifted names and homages. Like Napolean trying to reinvoke Rome and failing. The whole time I feel like I'm watching a wealthy family who was told lies about destiny trying to "play-act" their "destiny" to be reality whenever I see Marvel's Thor. The logic that motivated the source characters doesn't translate, so when they do things that are supposed to be in character it feels like a sham. MCU's Thor is especially bad because it not only invokes the original source, but also the comics, toss in the MCU's own material and your left with something that feels like a facade.

At least Loki's connecting to the greater MCU world through the tesseract supplied a modicum of coherence, and Thor's character tends to play better when around the Avengers. Just those first two solo films are quite the travesty.

Ragnarok is the first MCU movie in a very long time where I felt something - and it wasn't pain. More than that, I actually enjoyed myself.

I loved it.

Same for me. The only other movie I enjoyed (to my surprise) was the latest Spider Man.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Wait, what? The first Thor was totally taking the piss, it was arguably the most openly comedic of the first wave of MCU films what with the whole fish out of water and overt "no longer a god" type slapstick throughout. I thought it was good fun myself (actually I've enjoyed all Thor films on a more consistent basis than I have those of any other Avenger, though it's not saying a terrible lot either).

That's a funny way of looking at it. I can see what you mean...because in the first movie, Thor was basically a total nincompoop with little to no self-awareness, leading to slapstick situations because he's just so buffoonish and apparently does not realize that his behavior is ridiculous. Thor 3, in comparison, felt a little slapstick-y not because the characters were stupid idiots, but rather the opposite: it seemed like they were smarter, more tongue-in-cheek and self-aware. I actually liked and enjoyed Thor's character a little in this movie, which I really, really did not in the first movie. The second movie I can't speak as much about, since I can only vaguely remember it and I can only remember being supremely bored...I THINK the humor was mainly supposed to come from other characters, and Thor himself was much more serious, BUT I could be wrong. Now, it's probably just a part of his character progression throughout the series, which I would agree would probably be fine from a storytelling standpoint if I'm looking at it objectively, but I pretty much freaking hated everyone else in those first two movies (besides maybe Loki), too, which means our main character also being an annoying dummy (1st) or super serious boring (my impression from the 2nd) just makes it so that the movies weren't enjoyable. So this was a nice departure from that.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Wait, what? The first Thor was totally taking the piss, it was arguably the most openly comedic of the first wave of MCU films what with the whole fish out of water and overt "no longer a god" type slapstick throughout. I thought it was good fun myself (actually I've enjoyed all Thor films on a more consistent basis than I have those of any other Avenger, though it's not saying a terrible lot either).

That's a funny way of looking at it. I can see what you mean...because in the first movie, Thor was basically a total nincompoop with little to no self-awareness, leading to slapstick situations because he's just so buffoonish and apparently does not realize that his behavior is ridiculous. Thor 3, in comparison, felt a little slapstick-y not because the characters were stupid idiots, but rather the opposite: it seemed like they were smarter, more tongue-in-cheek and self-aware. I actually liked and enjoyed Thor's character a little in this movie, which I really, really did not in the first movie. The second movie I can't speak as much about, since I can only vaguely remember it and I can only remember being supremely bored...I THINK the humor was mainly supposed to come from other characters, and Thor himself was much more serious, BUT I could be wrong. Now, it's probably just a part of his character progression throughout the series, which I would agree would probably be fine from a storytelling standpoint if I'm looking at it objectively, but I pretty much freaking hated everyone else in those first two movies (besides maybe Loki), too, which means our main character also being an annoying dummy (1st) or super serious boring (my impression from the 2nd) just makes it so that the movies weren't enjoyable. So this was a nice departure from that.

Yeah, that's really about the gist of the first movie: Thor walks out of the set of a bad Lord of the Rings rehash into a more "realist" setting (all within the context of MCU of course, so take that with a grain of salt) and comedy ensues from his overly grand and self-absorbed personality in contrast to the others. Hence all of the "I require sustenance, this mortal form grows weak" lines and so on. Future films kind of reimagined him as a quippier and more self-aware character, but his personality in the first film absolutely worked for what Branagh was going for with it, or so I felt. I really liked it, and I didn't find him annoying though, granted, that's entirely your prerogative if you do.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

With a not as horrid supporting cast, I may have very liked it better. Alas.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

She was the worst of the lot. Annoying, can't act, and there's something I find a little repulsive about her to boot. No thanks, please shut the door on your way out, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus

She was the worst of the lot. Annoying, can't act, and there's something I find a little repulsive about her to boot. No thanks, please shut the door on your way out, :p.

Harsh, but I somehow know what you mean.

Only the Brave - I think Starz had it on.

For one of those based on true tragedy/events type films, it's fairly decent. Slower paced, maybe 15-20 minutes too long but in general doesn't turn into melodrama. A large ensemble of chrs. but focuses only on two so most others get short shrift. Effects worked and didn't make me think "CGI" all the time, outside of a dream sequence, and that's a dream so...

The bro-team-building bits and humor were done well. Maybe I'd give it a ... 7/10?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• Like 1