What is your worst single-class in Deadfire?

Your worst single-class in Deadfire (no subclass)?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Your worst single-class in Deadfire?

• Druid
    • Chanter
    • Rogue
    • Paladin
    • Fighter
    • Ranger
    • Wizard
    • Cipher
    • Priest
    • Barbarian
    • Monk

Yeah single-class paladin is probably in a worse position than ranger or cleric at the moment. It's saving grace is that Paladin combined with a bunch of glasses for multi make a good toon but alone it's nothing special anymore with the nerfed abilities. Maybe you can abuse self-immolation somehow but that's about it. 

I think that Paladins are awesome. Not sure about power, but awesomenes is here.

Could fast heal anyone, and that is always good.

Could deliver powerfull full attack.

Provides passive aura (can even switch it), as well as various party buffs as passive

Have high defenses with minimal cost

Could debuff with inspired beacon.

Sworn Enemy good against bosses

Can regain zeal.

Main main drawback is that Paladin is spread thin on many things, so MC could allow better focus on one aspect.

But the class is alright, and as good as it could be.

Yeah single-class paladin is probably in a worse position than ranger or cleric at the moment. It's saving grace is that Paladin combined with a bunch of glasses for multi make a good toon but alone it's nothing special anymore with the nerfed abilities. Maybe you can abuse self-immolation somehow but that's about it. 

I think that Paladins are awesome. Not sure about power, but awesomenes is here.

Could fast heal anyone, and that is always good.

Could deliver powerfull full attack.

Provides passive aura (can even switch it), as well as various party buffs as passive

Have high defenses with minimal cost

Could debuff with inspired beacon.

Sworn Enemy good against bosses

Can regain zeal.

Main main drawback is that Paladin is spread thin on many things, so MC could allow better focus on one aspect.

But the class is alright, and as good as it could be.

The real issue with paladins is that T8 and T9 are really meh and don't even help the paladins themselves. Half of the kits can't be used solo. Which is why it's better to just multi the paladins and abuse all the free passive talents along with say, fighter to keep them healthy with unbending and dealing damage with cleave.

• Like 1

And you can get good weapon like (seriously dude?)

I was initially going to read your post then did a double take.  Can you please edit out the massive spoilers on where to easily acquire some of the best weapons from your post please? It sure would be appreciated here on the non spoiler forum.

Edited by Karkarov

Yeah single-class paladin is probably in a worse position than ranger or cleric at the moment. It's saving grace is that Paladin combined with a bunch of glasses for multi make a good toon but alone it's nothing special anymore with the nerfed abilities. Maybe you can abuse self-immolation somehow but that's about it.

I haven’t had an issue. Playing a single class Paladin and it does what it’s supposed to do extremely well. Tank and support. That being said I ya I think Crusader is better.

Have gun will travel.

And you can get good weapon like (seriously dude?)

I was initially going to read your post then did a double take.  Can you please edit out the massive spoilers on where to easily acquire some of the best weapons from your post please? It sure would be appreciated here on the non spoiler forum.

Well if some people going to view something as slight as weapon location as spoiler then it's edited. Added spoiler tag to that paragraph.

Sacred-Immolation is so bad lol.

So in POE 1 this turned Paladins from a good support tank to face melters. I have not gotten that far what changed?

Have gun will travel.

Twin shot is still one of the better damaging skill in the game and again, Triple Ice Shot bow with Twinshot. That thing is broke. You have to be a T9 druid/wizard and Monk to break the damage this thing has to offer from just a press of a button.

https://imgur.com/JpZiuVd

Only like, 5-10% of the game encounter don't get instaAoEgipped by it.

That's more because Frostseeker is a very cool weapon. *Please don't nerf*

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

So in POE 1 this turned Paladins from a good support tank to face melters. I have not gotten that far what changed?

It does x fire damages to enemies and approximately twice that amount to the paladin himself as raw damages, so you will kill yourself real quick when you use it. I think the radius is also smaller than it was in PoE 1 but i could be wrong about that.

It does x fire damages to enemies and approximately twice that amount to the paladin himself as raw damages, so you will kill yourself real quick when you use it. I think the radius is also smaller than it was in PoE 1 but i could be wrong about that.

You know I read the ability and it seemed that way too me. My Paladin has a ton of HP because high CON (15 base) and tough but ya you can’t turn it off right? Seems like they need to turn the raw dmg down some.

Have gun will travel.

Twin shot is still one of the better damaging skill in the game and again, Triple Ice Shot bow with Twinshot. That thing is broke. You have to be a T9 druid/wizard and Monk to break the damage this thing has to offer from just a press of a button.

https://imgur.com/JpZiuVd

Only like, 5-10% of the game encounter don't get instaAoEgipped by it.

That's more because Frostseeker is a very cool weapon. *Please don't nerf*

The weapon is fair until you add driving flight and twin shot into it because it gets *4 damage.

If that doesnt work, just use the Flamedragon arquebus and you deal like 200 + 150 bounce per accurate shot (almost guaranteed to crit) and spam evasive fire for 90-100 damage per shot with no cool down, which, maybe, isn't really balanced in anyway when its only weakness is "It's not an AoE".

Edited by Zeitzbach

Call me dimwitted, but why is ranger leading the votes? Maia with blunderbuss nearly has as much DPS as my super monk. Meanwhile, I don't think rogue is worth much except for multiclassing. :/

I feel the same way lol

Have gun will travel.

Call me dimwitted, but why is ranger leading the votes? Maia with blunderbuss nearly has as much DPS as my super monk. Meanwhile, I don't think rogue is worth much except for multiclassing. :/

It's really easy to assume ranger is bad if you don't know where to get their weapons as they don't deal as much damage like people just using dual-wield Full Attack in the early game. It also doesn't help that majority of their T8 and T9 stuff aren't direct attack with big numbers that are very easy to just see and say "opop".

But once you have an idea in mind and is looking to play as a damager, Ranger is probably the 2nd best at everything. The AoE is good with the bow explosion but no where near as Druid AoE. The Burst damage is good but nowhere near Wizard. The DPS is high but lower than Monk. Being #2 at everything is good though because it means there really isn't a situation where they can be considered outright terrible.

Twin Shots is only really good with items like the ice bow that scale really well with it and driving flight. Otherwise it's just two attacks. It's not terrible, but for a tier 8 ability with a bond cost of 3 It's pretty underwhelming. Compare that to what a Scout can have - 60% sneak attack, another 50% from Deathblows, 20% raw Dot (that constantly triggers Predator's sense for the animal companion) and another 10% hit to crit from dirty fighting. For a single class ranger to compete they need twin shots to go back to how it was in POE 1 and Stunning Shots too. Then they'll have a decent level of power compared to other classes.

• Like 2

As long as the ice bow exists like this, Twin shot is broke and anyone slightly min-maxing will be using it on their single-ranger. After all, if we're going to compare classes, at least make sure they are using the good gear and build especially on weapon users in order to give them some leverage against magic users. It's like why we all judge melee users assuming they are using the good unique Dual Saber for huge damage. Once you get that combination kicking, you really will never take it off your hands.

But if you really don't want to use that, Twin shot work with Rod btw (in Deadfire, all 2-handed in the item slots are 2-handed and all ranged weapon are ranged type for talents/skills) And Rod has AoE modal on hit. So double rod, that also double, is a 4-hit AoE. I bet you can see why this will potentially become a problem if they release a scepter or a rod with strong on-hit considering we already have one that grants stealth at 25% rate when you crit. This is why Twinshot is going to be such a problematic damage skill. It's a +100% damage with double on-hit effect that also bounce. Anything with good on-hit will be broken with it.

The real unfortunate skill is the AoE Spin. It doesn't scale with int even if it shows the higher number because everything from the int bonus range will be "Out of reach" and it currently doesn't deal its bonus raw damage (bug).

Edited by Zeitzbach

Twin shots also isnt exactly a spammable ability.  Flame of Devoion cost only 1 Zeal, Charge only cost 2 and does full attacks.

People seem to argue for rangers because of their weapons, but some other classes, esp monk, can wield them even better than rangers.

• Like 1

Twin shots also isnt exactly a spammable ability.  Flame of Devoion cost only 1 Zeal, Charge only cost 2 and does full attacks.

People seem to argue for rangers because of their weapons, but some other classes, esp monk, can wield them even better than rangers.

Twinshot being a 3 cost is NOT an issue. You don't use empowered on Twinshot. You use it on resource because the AoE explosion do not go up on empowered. 3 cost is all it takes to instantly kill a whole group. You can fire it 3 times when you get it and 5 times with empower extra resource. There isn't enough fights in the game that go into 2 digits zone where you need more than 5 twinshot to end it and majority of them end in 2 or 3, 4 if they have a bunch of targets that stay apart.

And accurate wounding shot isn't bad either. Combined with Mark, that's +30 accuracy until the end of the fight for 1 bond each. You have almost 40 accuracy bonus with the white dragon pet and marksman talent. By average with your high accuracy rating, against non 100 deflection fampyr, you should crit on 4-5 arrows. That's easily over 130 AoE damage and 100 more from the arrows themselves per AWS. Flame of Devotion does no where near as much damage while also being single-target.

We need to stop assuming Ranger is terrible because "Monk exists" as that is not an excuse. They may not be the 1st for a DPS class but they are certainly not last either. Even Rogue is crap at dps compared to them because Rogue can't abuse the bow.

Edited by Zeitzbach

Rangers and rogues are kinda fine in terms of power. They are just more of the same as they level up. It is more of a concept problem: devs are not sure what to give them besides what is already there. Rogues can hide and debuff for huge damage, that's it. Rangers have a pet and fight from afar for huge damage, that's it. The opposites are wizards and monks: they can shoehorn whatever whey can think off because these run on high concepts.

Ranger is even terrible as multi class. I had a ranger/cipher and he was just an auto-attack machine that charmed one enemy at the beginning of combat.

Multiclass with rogue and equip two pistols/blunders for full attack ability galore. That's wat I'm doing with Maia for my second playthrough anyway.

First is the canonical Edér, Aloth, Pallegina, Xoti for me.

• Like 1

If my post hasn't been edited yet, I'm still looking to find the error I made typing it.

I never played a ranger so i can't compare, but single class rogue is actually really strong. Sure there aren't many active skills worth taking, but you're very mobile and you have incredible single target dps. Multiclass rogue can't pick the OP gambit skill, they also have a lower sneak attack due to lower class level.

So it's fine to multiclass rogue, but i wouldn't say single class rogues are disappointing at all. It's just you end up picking a lot of passive skills.

Priest obviously, as you basically can't even play without a 'subclass'. Then sadly Ranger, although a melee multiclass Ranger with animal companion can be awesome (but we discuss only single-class characters here) thirs on my list would be the Chanter, I don't see why Rogue or Cipher has so many votes as those two are some of the very best classes in the game. My main char is a multiclass Cipher/Rogue.

IB1OsQq.png

the problem is some people want 'effective' classes, other interesting/fun to play. An effective class can be boring to play and a fun one not optimal.

Sure a rogue can be powerfull, but the ability tree is really weak. What the point to have 5 attack abilities (7as single) with a prohibitive cost compared to other classes? Impossible to find some interesting abilities that fit the rogue? Why a cost 2 for a simple smoke cloud with 1 infliction? Same cost as an upgraded one, so upgrade isn't an option but is mandatory. But why have to buy smoke veil before since the 2 are different skills?

So yeah, rogue do lot of dmg, gambit is OP, but between cripple strike/escape and gambit, you have lot of options both unfun and non optimal.

I am one of those who don't care much for being 'Optimal' and go for fun things, like with my multiclass characters. I truly enjoy the Cipher/Rogue but I had such a mixed background for her in mind already during PoE1, in fact I restarted once from Rogue to make her a Cipher primary who has that lesser backstab ability after the expansion got released. Not to mention roleplay and flavor-wise it was also a good decision as I later got to know to play as a female orlan ex-slave (deadfire galley) cipher got a lot more background/class related unique dialogue options than most other combinations (in my case of pale elf aristocratic druid I barely ever got any)

I will avoid calculations for now that show which class/race/background combos are most immersive and often involved, but at one point I will certainly try that, even if the actual class(es) in question I don't like or find effective.

Edited by Jorian Drake

IB1OsQq.png