The Political Quinceañera Thread

Blarghagh

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Headline doesn't seem backed up there, heh, not a surprise I guess. Hopefully they get another Ozil as a result of this

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I find it slightly funny that Muslims are extremely iconoclast about their messiah and yet they often name their kids after him, including alternate spellings.

Headline doesn't seem backed up there, heh, not a surprise I guess. Hopefully they get another Ozil as a result of this

What's an Ozil?

I find it slightly funny that Muslims are extremely iconoclast about their messiah and yet they often name their kids after him, including alternate spellings.

Ive given up trying to figure them out. My new policy on Muslims (and everyone else) I leave them alone they leave me alone.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What's an Ozil?

Talented footballer, of Turkish heritage.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In other news Arthur Wagner one of the leaders of the AfD ( Alternative for Germany) party has made news by converting to Islam. AfD is the group that said "Islam doesn’t belong in Germany. We see the ideology of multiculturalism as a serious threat to societal peace and cultural unity.” and Wagner himself accused Merkel of "mutating" the country by allowing in Muslim refugees. https://www.thelocal.de/20180124/leading-member-of-far-right-afd-in-brandenburg-converts-to-islam

I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. :lol:

the word "leader" is misleading. While he used to be affiliated with the State-Leadership of the AfD in Brandenburh (the state surrounding Berlin), he is now leading the AfD only within a small voting district in the same state. Regardlessly, this is, of course, highly amusing news.
Out of curiosity since you're there, are there any 'educated guesses' in Germany as to what his reasons are for the conversion? What I saw was 'personal reasons' with no elaboration.
I only saw the same. Though the AfD did say something about freedom of religion, so maybe (if we get a bit conspiratorial) the AfD wants to show that they too can tolerate Muslims; in a fashion similar to how Breitbart uses Milo to claim their acceptance for homosexuality.

Seriously though, I have no idea

Breitbart doesn't accept homosexuality?

Girls:

1) Emma

2) Olivia

3) Ava

Boys:

1) Noah

2) Liam

3) William

As a kid Emma and Olivia were amongst my favorite girls names, and they weren't all that popular at the time. I wonder if it was just something in that generation that just informed a shift in name preferences.

I've also found the Boyd name trends are a little more grating than the ones for girls. Though Noah is a solid name.

maybe people realized that john is boring and annie is just kind of not very good

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

As usual the doings on First St. are more interesting than what's happening on Pennsylvania Ave : http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/24/supreme-courts-big-public-sector-union-c

For my part, all associations should be voluntary. Compelling Union membership and payments for that is very mafia like if you ask me. My career (when I wasn't self employed) has been mostly professional/management so I've never had to deal with being robbed.... I mean paying Union dues. But I've always told myself I'd never work somewhere where membership in anything is compulsory.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

As usual the doings on First St. are more interesting than what's happening on Pennsylvania Ave : http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/24/supreme-courts-big-public-sector-union-c

For my part, all associations should be voluntary. Compelling Union membership and payments for that is very mafia like if you ask me. My career (when I wasn't self employed) has been mostly professional/management so I've never had to deal with being robbed.... I mean paying Union dues. But I've always told myself I'd never work somewhere where membership in anything is compulsory.

I agree here, if you're not in the union, it doesn't make sense that you'd have to pay dues (membership fee) for it.

Ava? srs?

am suspecting gifted is using a recent baby name list as 'posed to overall most popular names.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/century.html

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whats-the-most-common-name-in-america/

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've never met anyone with my first name and it's not that weird like Orangejello and Lemonjello or celebrity weird like Apple, Blue Ivy, and Chicago. I have seen a few schools and churches that shared my name though. I should change it to McLovin

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Really depends on the Union. Just like the government, the larger they are, the more useless they are for the average person. The disparities I've seen just in teacher's unions is crazy. 

Unions are useless right up until the point you don't have them, or need one of their services. Much as insurance is useless, unless you crash your car or burn your house down.

You need a mafia to fight the mafia.

You need a mafia to fight the mafia.

it might be a surprise to folks, but a room full o' lawyers also does the trick.  the mafia were largely emasculated by RICO and federal prosecutors.  sure, the mafia still exists, but is only 'cause the fed doesn't care 'bout 'em much anymore. 

might be one o' the few real world problems largely solved by throwing money and lawyers at it.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, was a bit tongue in cheek about calling both sides in the employer-employee showdown mafia. My last employer was run like ISIS more than the Camorra, though.

Edited by Malcador

Must be due to Russian Hax.

In further Mohammed bin Sultan- shining light of Saudi Arabia- news, the quagmire in Yemen got even worse as the South Yemeni separatists who were the only organised native force fighting the Houthis predictably decided that what they really wanted was an independent southern state rather than to pointlessly fight and die in the north for Saudi and just overthrew whatever dregs of the formal government remained in Aden. And, of course, they used their MbS supplied weaponry to do it. Truly the man is Reverse Midas.

Sadly that sort of thing happens pretty much every week- last week it was a hotel attacked. The security situation in Afghanistan is still dreadful and not improving.

McCabe stepping down - https://www.axios.com/fbi-deputy-director-andrew-mccabe-is-stepping-down-5e60dee9-3fe4-4b18-bf57-fb037c0faabb.html

Although I guess he's on terminal leave, burning vacation days to get to the point he'll get his pension.

Edited by Malcador