You did WHAT Today

Blarghagh

Hit the pool early this morning for the first time. I haven't done much in the way of laps in a few years, and even then it was once in a blue moon, so I've got my work cut out for me. The problem is I am totally comfortable doing the breast stroke and could coast through the 1200 meters for the sprint triathlon that way, but I know front crawl (freestyle) is a good 10-15 seconds faster every 100 meters. That's a couple minutes over the course of the race, but right now I can't do more than 50 meters front crawl without gasping for breathe.

Just need to train and get my rhythm down. 

I did run 4 miles today at a 7:48 mile pace, so that felt good.

edit: Sorry to hear about your cat LC. I don't know how I missed that before I posted. :(

has been a few (more than a few) years since our last half triathlon, but am gonna recommend at least some open water training for the swim, as inconvenient as it may be.  pool laps is a much different challenge than open water, particular open water and surrounded by dozens o' other swimmers creating waves and impeding progress. make sure you do a significant portion o' your swim training in open water or you may be shocked on race day.

good luck.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sorry about your cat LC.

I'm done with work and going to the gym. Currenrtly too cold to jog outside and the treadmills smell like resolution sweat.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

has been a few (more than a few) years since our last half triathlon, but am gonna recommend at least some open water training for the swim, as inconvenient as it may be.  pool laps is a much different challenge than open water, particular open water and surrounded by dozens o' other swimmers creating waves and impeding progress. make sure you do a significant portion o' your swim training in open water or you may be shocked on race day.

good luck.

HA! Good Fun!

Thanks, you've echoed a few other people on that. Hopefully I do not get attacked by any sea creatures. Also that is probably the best way to test out a wetsuit ahead of time. I'd like to do the Santa Cruz Olympic Triathlon in August. I did grow up surfing and bodyboarding, so hopefully it will come back to me easily enough.

That's exactly why I have a slight phobia of swimming in any body of water where I cant see the bottom, including lakes, rivers and oceans. I'm convinced something is going to get me. :lol: I can quash it enough to go snorkeling on a tour in crystal clear reefs but you would never get me to go scuba diving. The crushing black and fear of the unseen is too much for me.  

• Like 1

That's exactly why I have a slight phobia of swimming in any body of water where I cant see the bottom, including lakes, rivers and oceans. I'm convinced something is going to get me. :lol: I can quash it enough to go snorkeling on a tour in crystal clear reefs but you would never get me to go scuba diving. The crushing black and fear of the unseen is too much for me.  

we did a fair amount o' surfing while we lived in berkeley and santa barbara and while we didn't have a fear o' the unknown or of giant cephalopods, sharks scarred us more than a little.  had seen shark bite damage on a few surfers and on more than a few boards... 'cause sharks is seeming more likely to bite boards. stoopid sharks.

see a flash o' silver in the water and it could be a trick o' light, a school o' fish or a shark.  got the heart pumping. more than once something big grazed our leg while we were in the channel island waters and am not too proud to admit we leaked a little urine at such times. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Full and prolonged immersion in water isn't exactly our natural environment. I love water but usually only in contained spaces. Like a hot-tub. :p  I have the same mild fear of wild water that I can't see the bottom of (as well as not liking sand/dirt in my pants...). It's not a serious phobia but it will make me hesitate and I generally won't want to go more than wading. Also, undertows. I've been pulled around/under by them when swimming not very far out on some of the rocky west coasts, and that put me quite off.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Jaws ruined the ocean for me. Then Orca but less so since I didn't plan on killing anything's mate. Then DeepStar 6 because who knows what unknown beasts might want to eat me. I'm probably very delicious. The Abyss actually made me feel slightly safer but still...

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

1989 - 1990 really didn't want you in the water DeepStar 6, Leviathan, The Rift aka Endless Descent, Lords of the Deep and The Evil Below

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"It's not safe out here. (Space) The ocean is wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." 

CluckCluck, I say. :biggrin:

...and today I'm just aimlessly wandering around the house, missing my cat, posting on forums, watching the rain. I might allow myself to temp. gain back a pound this week via buying some chocolate cheesecake. I need some comfort junk food.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm more worried about the bacteria and weird algae that might get me in the local reservoirs. In the ocean I'll be surrounded by a bunch of other potential victims. You don't have to be the fastest, just faster than the slowest. :p

You can't outrun flesh eating viruses. Plus I've been reading the Phoenix Point Novellas and they are creepy.

original.gif?1491564105

• Like 2

An acquaintance suggested I join a Facebook group dedicated to off grid living today. Let that sink in for a moment.

I laughed long and hard about that. Irony is my favorite form of humor!

• Like 7

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Power outage here at 0545. Should have gone back to bed

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

PostMord? :(

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Been living at my new place for about 3 weeks now. We sold the old house and split it into two so now I have my own tiny empire. :)

The place still needs some work but I finally get to do some of the stuff I always wanted to do. I also feel a whole lot better because the old apartment was where I spent the scariest years of my life: Losing mom to cancer, addiction, fights with dad...

Thankfully, I have two of the best companions a man can have:

JaT1Nkt.jpg

Xiu Xiu & Ignus, my companions, till death and beyond!

Off to a better start hopefully. :)

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 3

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Best of luck with the new start!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell