You did WHAT...?!

Amentep

I deleted all of my social media stuff. Facebook, instagram, twitter, snapchat, whatsapp and whatever the hell I had. Feels good.

Heh, I had a lecture in the week about Privacy and Internet Ethics.

The lecturer showed us how easy it is to access Facebook API and developer and just how much information FB will provide to anyone using them.  He then did a "Yeah, I stopped using FB 11 months ago when I found this" but he did amuse everyone present by whipping up a quick thing with the developer and then setting it on his own facebook to show what it extracts.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Worst thing about it imo still is that they make money using your data. You’re a recourse. That’s pretty messed up when you think about it.

• Like 2

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I fill my profile with lies and dog photos.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I maintain multiple profiles, each with a completely different set of lies! (No dog pictures though.)

You've just been found out.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

They fill my feed with all sorts of cool brewing inventions, so I'm ok with it.

Do you remember the other year when a research group asked facebook to let them run a research experiment?

They spent one week using the news feeds of over 600,000 people worldwide. They divided them into groups, and slanted their news feeds to provide positive or negative news and then saw how people responded. Amazingly they discovered that if people only get negative news feeds, they start to post in a negative/down manner themselves, while people who get a majority of positive news feeds tend to post in a more up-beat and happy manner.

The thing of course, is that no-one asked any of the people on FB if they wanted to take part. Apparently it's an automatic agreement to let Facebook do whatever they want when you click accept on those terms and conditions.

I maintain multiple profiles, each with a completely different set of lies! (No dog pictures though.)

You've just been found out.

You mean Volo has.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My facebook page would have you believe i eat, breathe, and sleep ecological engineering. That it is my sole interest. Oh, and I'm facebook friends with my boss and most of my co-workers. And of course pictures of my brother and his family. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I dont even have a FB account, but if I did, it would have a picture of my dog. :yes:

I have an account, since it was a requirement for something I did like 4 or 5 years ago (I don't even remember what it was), but it is literally blank.There is no information on the page whatsoever other than the bare minimum that was needed to create the page in the first place, and that info is hopelessly out of date.  I have visited the page approximately never times since I created it.  I also don't have a twitter, snapchat, tumblr, instagram, or whatever.  Basically, in the social media world, I don't exist.

I've been working as a pizza delivery driver for 3 weeks now and I just had my best day ever.  I pulled in a sweet $82 in tips in 5 hours of driving, that's over $16/hour.  Add in my wage while driving, which is a paltry $4 and a few pennies, and I made over $20/hour for driving around in my comfy car listening to music off my Pandora stations (I have exquisite taste  :shifty: ).  Even if you subtract $10 for gas spent (I highly doubt I used THAT much) I still made a killing tonight.  Not every night is this good, you have some nights that are flat out depressing, but overall the money I'm making is well above what I was expecting to make for one of the easiest jobs I have ever worked.  Having nearly no time to myself sucks, but that extra $1000+ a month in my pocket sure is nice.

:banana:

Edit: I suppose it helps that I live in a major metropolis.  I probably wouldn't make nearly as much if I was delivering pizzas in some Podunk town (by virtue of having far fewer deliveries to make).

Edit 2: Also, I save money on food because free pizza.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The university is putting on a coach to take anyone with a relevant background who might be interested up to the Cyber-Security Expo in London this week, so I decided to sign up for that and register out of curiousity.

• Like 1

How many deliveries did you do in those 5 hours? Whats your average tip per delivery?

Probably around 17 or 18 deliveries, averaging somewhere between $4 or $5 per tip.  Then there are days where it's super dead, like this past Monday, and I only make like 10 or 11 deliveries in that same amount of time and I get stiffed on a tip on some of them.  It all averages out over the long haul.

Edit: Keep in mind that most of those 17 or 18 deliveries were doubles or triples, where I take 2 or 3 orders with me at a time and they tend to be close to each other, or along the way.  It's not 17 or 18 trips from Papa John's to the customer and back.  On a slow night I'll get mostly singles, on good nights it's mostly doubles and triples.  Doubles and triples are where the money is at.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Last night my fitbit charge HR broke. I've been using it for about 3 years and I get a lot out of it, I track my runs, heart rate, and sleep. It has given me some good data, but it also has had some problems syncing, so I decided to upgrade. I shopped around for something that would fill all my health tracking needs and by a bit smarter, and settled on the Samsung Gear Fit2 Pro. I figured it would work well with my Galaxy S8 phone, and I was not disappointed. The coolest thing so far was finding a Fallout Pip Boy theme. I'm in geek heaven. :p

22730165_10210504910043714_6114516603872

• Like 9

Neat, I need to find a suitable face for my smart watch. Useless to me, but I have to use it as it was a gift.

Spent tonight with coworkers, wasn't too bad but wonder why bars have the damn music so loud, and not even good music, all generic gino beats.

Neat, I need to find a suitable face for my smart watch. Useless to me, but I have to use it as it was a gift.

Spent tonight with coworkers, wasn't too bad but wonder why bars have the damn music so loud, and not even good music, all generic gino beats.

so that no awkward silence develops

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I dunno, awkward silence between people is even more awkward with music, at least to me. Next week's outing might be worth skipping, one visitor wants to have a "proper piss up" so that means a pub crawl...on a Wednesday. I am working with alcoholics, well, or 40 year olds that think they are 20. :p

I picked up the mail today and what do I see? Jury Duty.

Grrrr....

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sometimes the worst part of being a writer is meeting other writers. Science-Fiction writers might just be the biggest tossup of the lot. Because sometimes you meet a guy who thinks he's the smartest person in the world who has everything all figured out, and then he opens his mouth and...

I met a guy yesterday who told me about his book. He told me the main reason he even wrote it is because he's read so many other time travel novels and all of them were unbelievable with ridiculous nonsense as a vehicle for time travel, but not him. OH NO. You see he has it figured out because he read an article about DNA one time. You see there's all this junk DNA in your system, if you could just find the part of it that has your position in time and alter that, you could travel through time. He seemed very proud of this and somewhat confident it might be discovered in the future.

But you know what, that's actually fairly normal when dealing with science-fiction writers who are passionate for their craft. If you had heard as many bits about quantum consciousness as I have, you'd be a bit numb to this sort of thing. So I don't mind it too much. But things don't stop there.

Between him talking and the Amazon description, I sort of sussed out what his novel was about. It's about a guy so upset with US politics (circa 2012/2013), so certain the US is on the path to destruction and insolvency, that he hatches a plan to fix it by travelling to the past. Where he tries to save the US by helping the South win the Civil War.

Naturally I just nod my head and pretend to be interested, try not to let the look of sheer terror show on my face.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Oh my god, what the heck is going on with this weekend?? Wolfenstein 2 release, CitizenCon, Stranger Things season 2,... damnit, I ain't got time for all of that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Skip CitizenCon, will be all lies anyway :p

• Like 1