Mass Effect Andromeda

213374U

Patch coming out on the 6th:

https://www.masseffect.com/news/the-journey-ahead?sf53509845=1

Patch 1.05 Notes

Improved tutorial placement

Single player balance changes: Ammo crates, armor, weapons, nomad, profiles, attacks, and progression

Multiplayer balance changes: Weapons, cover, and enemies (check back for detailed notes on balance changes)

Added option to skip autopilot sequences in the galaxy map

Improved logic, timing, and continuity for relationships and story arcs

Improved lip-sync and facial acting during conversations, including localized VO

Fixed various collision issues

Fixed bugs where music or VO wouldn’t play or wasn’t correct

Fixed issue where global squad mate banter sometimes wasn’t firing on UNCs

Fixed issue where player was unable to access the Remnant Console Interface after failing decryption multiple times

Fixed issue where fast travel is sometimes disabled after recruiting Drack until the player reloads a save

Fixed issue where Ryder can become stuck in the start of Biotic Charge Pose

Fixes issues related to some saves

Fixed issue where objective sometimes becomes un-interactable for players in multiplayer

Streaming and stability improvements

edit:

Over the next two months we’ll be rolling out additional patches which will go even deeper and look to improve several areas of the game:

[...]

Improvements to male romance options for Scott Ryder

Never change, BioWare.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I think the only thing I'm far enough along was to experience a save game issue where it wouldn't load.

edit:

Over the next two months we’ll be rolling out additional patches which will go even deeper and look to improve several areas of the game:

[...]

Improvements to male romance options for Scott Ryder

Never change, BioWare.

To be fair, the discrepancy between Scott and Sarah has been pointed out by fans (whether it matters or not) and since we don't know what their solution is I can't say if its a good or bad thing they're addressing it.  But I can say they're listening to the fans and trying to improve the game based on feedback.  I'm reluctant to see that as a 'bad thing'.

I gave it a proper shot yesterday. I got bored again. I especially liked the bit where I found box with ammo for my gun in a structure that never saw life from Milky Way.

Isn't there a message that says "re-purposing for use" or something when you pick up alien tech for your guns?  Since Mass Effect guns propel grain size projectiles off of a metal brick with a mini-ME generator and/or use a heat sink to keep firing due to the heat generated in the process,  I took it that you found a scrap of metal close enough to the size, density and whatever other characteristics necessary necessary to make slugs from or to use as heat sinks.  Seems a reasonable handwave to me, given the lore.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

To be fair, the discrepancy between Scott and Sarah has been pointed out by fans (whether it matters or not) and since we don't know what their solution is I can't say if its a good or bad thing they're addressing it.  But I can say they're listening to the fans and trying to improve the game based on feedback.  I'm reluctant to see that as a 'bad thing'.

Nah, not saying it's a bad thing, that's a value judgment I'm reserving. But as someone who's completely uninterested in -and often outright weirded out by- BioWare romance, I can't stop being amused by the fanbase's fixation with them, to the point of protesting against "discrepancies", and even more so by the devs' continued acknowledgment of these "issues".

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Isn't there a message that says "re-purposing for use" or something when you pick up alien tech for your guns?  Since Mass Effect guns propel grain size projectiles off of a metal brick with a mini-ME generator and/or use a heat sink to keep firing due to the heat generated in the process,  I took it that you found a scrap of metal close enough to the size, density and whatever other characteristics necessary necessary to make slugs from or to use as heat sinks.  Seems a reasonable handwave to me, given the lore.

The lore also said that the weapons practically never run out of ammo and only the heat sinks need changing.

Incidentally, they do have tech which allows for nearly unlimited use of guns via the overheating mechanic, which would actually make a lot of sense to use for teams in Andromeda galaxy - but ... Nah.

I get that a lot of Bioware fans are fans of character stories.   Within that context I think they feel cheated if their choice (in this case a gender choice) in character creation provides them with demonstrably less options to pursue character stories.  I'm more of the feeling that they should work with the characters as they are created rather than conform to a specific numerical metric but perhaps the change is additive (adding options for Scott) rather than revisionist (changing existing options for Sara to also go for Scott if they weren't planned to be that way from the beginning).

The lore also said that the weapons practically never run out of ammo and only the heat sinks need changing.

Incidentally, they do have tech which allows for nearly unlimited use of guns via the overheating mechanic, which would actually make a lot of sense to use for teams in Andromeda galaxy - but ... Nah.

I don't disagree with you that it'd have been easier to just use the ME1 mechanic.  But I do think they give an in-game handwave....

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There is an augmentation ("Vintage Heat Sink") for that which you can apply to Milky Way guns. Whether it would be sensible and/or affordable to have the entire AI armory retrofitted with this kind of tech by default is up for debate, but the possibility is there.

Maybe they should have pushed the release back 6 months.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Probably.

And yet I can't feel that video games are mirroring modern movies - studios set tent poles years in advance and will rush out films to meet the tent pole date.

Whether it would be sensible and/or affordable to have the entire AI armory retrofitted with this kind of tech by default is up for debate, but the possibility is there.

It's considered an outdated technology in ME2!

And apparently they broke the Denuvo on this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They considered that, apparently. The game could have used it.

In spite of everything, I'm enjoying it well enough. Origin says I've played 123 hours @22% completion, so it's hard to say I'm not getting my money's worth.

• Like 1

And apparently they broke the Denuvo on this.

Boy, that should be fun to play unpatched.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Mass Effect Andromeda tricked me.  When I first saw how many "mission" planets there were on my map, I thought it was going to be chock-full of stuff to do on each planet.  But two of the planets are so barren and have barely anything to do on them.

Shame on you, BioWare, for getting my hopes up.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

From the link #s posted:

We want to hear from you about your experiences, both what you love about the game and what you’d like to see changed. We’re listening, and we’re committed to partnering with you as we continue to explore the Andromeda galaxy together.

Explains why they closed down their forums...

I did like MEA's exploration. It reminds me of the old ME in a better

The bugs are a killer though. Had I not learned to live with New Vegas I don't think I could have tolerated MEA's release bugs.

The flying around as the Tempest explored new locations was cool at first, but gets draggy.  They really should have allow a toggle option to skip all those flying between points of interest - waste of time after the 1st hour.

... and it took me a week of nothing but eating, gaming and sleeping to complete :p

Explains why they closed down their forums...

Their forums were horrid. The gaming community became a better place when they shut down.

I did like MEA's exploration. It reminds me of the old ME in a better

The bugs are a killer though. Had I not learned to live with New Vegas I don't think I could have tolerated MEA's release bugs.

The flying around as the Tempest explored new locations was cool at first, but gets draggy.  They really should have allow a toggle option to skip all those flying between points of interest - waste of time after the 1st hour.

Yeah this is definitely a 'wait for the patches' title.

One really nice thing about Andromeda is that there is not a ton of DLC to get for it. Yet anyway. The usual torrent of day 1 DLC did not materialize.

According to their preview patchnotes they will add a way to skip the useless planet and system transition scenes tomorrow.

Aside from geometry gaps and quest breaking bugs, this was the single most important thing to fix.

Next up UI and menus.

Edited by the_dog_days

According to their preview patchnotes they will add a way to skip the useless planet and system transition scenes tomorrow.

Aside from geometry gaps and quest breaking bugs, this was the single most important thing to fix.

Next up UI and menus.

Indeed. It would be nice if buttons consistently did the same thing. The same button loads and deletes savegames in different screens, that's a recipe for disaster. Came awfully close to deleting my games at times.

The playtesters of this game need to be punished by a mandatory 100 gameplay hours of Ruins of Myth Drannor. The ones who designed the UI and the controls get 200.

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.