The BEST 3 RPGs you have ever played

IamNOOB

1. Deus Ex

2. Pillars of Eternity

3. WoW (Was way more into the PvE than the rest of the game.)

4. Kotor

5. The Witcher

6. Mass Effect 1 & 2

7. Mario & Luigi Partner's In Time

8. Pokemon Ruby

9. Final Fantasy X & XII

10. Diablo 2

I really need to play VM-B...

Final Fantasy IX

Demon's Souls

Baldur's Gate 2

Probably :p

And in no particular order.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

Pillars Of Eternity

The Witcher 3

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

1. Planescape Torment

2. Witcher 3

3. Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn

Ofc play the expansions as well, but yea. This would be my top 3 list for the rest i could recommend

Vampire the Masquerade : Bloodlines (very highly recommended, i could switch it with Baldur's Gate 2 and not bat an eye)

Knights of the Old Republic 1&2

Icewind Dale 1&2

Dragon Age : Origins

Jagged Alliance 2

Diablo 2 LOD

Hm. Well it depends a bit on what you define as an RPG. Maybe:

Fallout:NV, KOTOR2, with Might and Magic 7 and Baldurs Gate 1 vying for 3rd spot. I'm not sure. I think BG1 is more of a RPG but M&M7 for me has a slight edge in terms of being more fun gameplay. (I tend to focus more on gameplay, then if it's the type, memorable characters over anything else)

...and of course (to those that know of me) I obviously love Final Fantasy XV as much as any of the three above, but I don't really see it as an RPG per se because there's such a lack of choice/control outside of combat. FFXV is more a party-based action/adventure. I also wouldn't count Diablo/like fare, even tho a few of such were some of my most-hours played.

That said I think overall the number of RPG's I've actually played (let alone completed) is fairly small vs. many on these forums.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The downside of a long gaming history... too many to chose from, as any "era" (or decade) would have it's top 3.

New/Modern RPG's my top 3 would be

Fallout 2

Planescape: Torment

Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

They were great games and are still fairly recent. Earlier games (1980's and early 90's on the c64 and Amiga) still impressed me more in some ways, but they may not be something people would agree are "RPG" by todays standards.

Edit to add some examples:

Ultima IV

Rogue

Lords of Midnight (still my all time favourite game, any genre, hands down, even beating Elite)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2. Jagged Alliance 2

There should be re-education camps where people were forced to play this until they learned to love it. Up there with 'Elite' and 'Lords of Midnight' in pure genius. Sadly the kind of games that just seems impossible to recapture the "magic" of. Same thing with Master of Orion 2 imho.

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2. Jagged Alliance 2

There should be re-education camps where people were forced to play this until they learned to love it. Up there with 'Elite' and 'Lords of Midnight' in pure genius. Sadly the kind of games that just seems impossible to recapture the "magic" of. Same thing with Master of Orion 2 imho.

Yea, and im surprised how few people even know about JA2, it is definately a one of kind game and  alot of fun with 1.13 mods as well. MoO2 was at least very famous with 4x players.

yeah 3 is brutal and honestly not sure how much nostalgia will affect my list but:

1. Fallout 1/2

2. Baldurs Gate 1/2

3. Gothic or Planescape

I must say combat mechanics are not great in neither of them but I love them overall

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Fallout.
Jagged Alliance 2.
Vampire Bloodlines.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

If I really had to pick I would go with the below the 3 of these. All 3 Fallouts at

number two I really can not choose between, so I picked them all for that spot.

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

2.  Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas.

3.  Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

(Honorable mentions go to Gothic 1 and 2, Jade Empire and Dragon Age:

Origins. All which sadly did not make it on my top 3 list but I still love a lot.)

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Wasteland, Gothic (all of them!), Deus Ex and Fallout: New Vegas are the RPG's I can play over and over without seemingly ever tire of.

1. Wasteland: open world, skills that increase by usage, contemporary weapons.. all in 1988. Talk about ahead of its time.

2. Gothic: open world, ruthless difficulty, brilliant world design, exploration beyond belief.

3. Deus Ex/Fallout: New Vegas (I can't choose between them, sue me): Deus Ex had that player skills/modifiable weapons mix that I love. Not open world, everything else was perfect. Fallout: New Vegas has an abundance of everything, skills, quests, dialogue, you name it. Weak open world design, but it was their first try.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I admire how so many of you can pick only three games. You're truly brave.

Okay, I'll try.

-TES: Morrowind, because of the landscapes, the lore, and the open world, while the guilds still have requirements. No archmages without arcane knowledge here.

-Planescape: Torment, because of this fascinating, creative, and imaginative world, combined with all those stats dependent options. You didn't get to see any additional dialogue or interaction options if you didn't meet the requirements, unlike today, where these options are just grayed out. So playing several times with different characterstats and classes meant discovering completely new aspects of the game. Also, the story was something else, as you don't play a hero to save the world, but follow your own tracks.

-VtM: Bloodlines, because it had so many different ways to play it. Every vampire clan felt different, you had several ways to finish quests, those quests felt different from the usual because of the game world, the game had so many creepy or unique moments, it just stands out. Too bad it was so buggy at its release, but the fan patches finished it. Plus, I liked not having to save the world but to get lost in those vampire politics instead. Being just a pawn in a game of chess was a nice change.

Now, let me cheat with some honorable mentions in no particular order:

-Arcanum didn't make the list because of its terrible balancing. Apart from that, it had great world building, many different approaches to some creative quests, and a great replayability. Also, the options you had differed depending on your character stats, just like in P:T.

-Anachronox is still my favorite space opera RPG, despite the Mass Effect Trilogy. Where else can you get a shrunken planet in your party? PAL will always be my favorite robot companion, and there were so many little details in the world that made it feel alive. Why didn't Anachronox make the list? Because the game is rather static, there are no different character classes to try, no additional options or sidequests you would get with different stats. There are some things that change depending on your party members, though. It's a pity that it never got a sequel, because Anachronox was meant to be the first part of a trilogy, but it simply didn't sell.

-Arx Fatalis has a lot for you to discover. Some spells that aren't automatically in your spellbook, but you have to find them by experimenting with the runes. There were also some secrets hidden in the game world. And you could sometimes use your environment to kill your foes, instead of engaging them in direct combat. I really enjoyed it, but the story was a little generic, and if you don't get your stats right from the start, you'll have a hart time, as you can only get up to level 10, and you need to get your primary skills high. Also, the games that made the top 3 had a little more to offer. Arx Fatalis ist still worth playing, though. I wish the Arkane Studios would finally make a sequel, now that they're done with Dishonored. Really pretty please with sugar, cream, chocolate sirup, and sprinkles on top.

-Fallout 1 and 2 would clearly make the top 5, because of the world, the story, the influence of the character stats and perks, the quests, the different cultures of the different settlements... I could go on forever. But this is a top 3 list, so I had to make a choice. These 2 are clearly my personal number 4 of the best RPGs I've played so far.

Not that New Vegas had been much worse, I just don't like that shooting in real time, because I suck at it. Whatever happened to character skill before player skill.

-The Witcher series has choices and consequences that have actual influence on the later game. Especially in The Witcher 2, where you have to play the game twice to get the whole story. Some may love this, some may hate it, but I loved it. You only get to know the story parts of the side you're playing on, which makes sense. The big picture takes seeing both sides.

I also liked the game world, and yes, I know it's based on a book series. The cities still feel huge, unlike in some other games. If you don't have much room, you need a clever layout to make the settlements feel bigger. Am I right, Oblivion and Dragon Age? Take a close look, you two.

Unfortunately, my current computer can't handle part 3, but I'm saving up for a new one, so I hope to be able to play it early next year.

Of course there are other favorites of mine, but the special places in my heart aren't necessarily better than these. They (Baldur's Gate and Realms of Arkania) just mean more to me, because they had a great influence on my gaming "career", but they don't stand out as much as the other games I've listed, so they don't really belong here.