The BEST 3 RPGs you have ever played

IamNOOB

1. Deus Ex 1

2. Pillars of Eternity 1

3. Dragon Age Origins

I know that Deus Ex 1 is not a pure RPG but I still love it.

I also think Fallout 1 is a great RPG, there is nothing like it.

I still have to play many old classics like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape.

I also think that as an action rpg the witcher 1 is a really good game.

Finally I think the best jrpg is final fantasy vii

• Like 1

1&2: BG2 and PS:Torment

I just can't decide which to give 1st place. I know that after playing both for the first time I liked Torment better but BG2 has proved to be more durable for me. I've just played it so often over the years and know it really well.

3:Pillars of Eternity, though both KotORs, Mass Effect 1 and NWN2:MotB are strong contenders here as well

Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Pillars of Eternity

It's really hard for me to say in which order I would put this trio.

Torment is an incredible experience, but does not have the same level of replayability as its pairs. Fantastic musics.

BG2 was a great story, had many nice builds, incredibly epic magical items and overall good everything :-
Pillars is just a more modern version of BG2. More balanced, more mature and more convenient. A couple of things were not perfect in the original game, but White March is already a better version of it. Pillars of Eternity 2 might be incredible on this basis.

I guess isometric 3D party game is really my thing.
I never felt such an appeal for real 3D, mostly because you have less a feeling of tactical RTS-like battles.

Lots of honourable mentions such as Skyrim, FFVII, FFX, Chrono Trigger, Arcanum, Hordes of the Underdark (NWN was not so good overall), Earthbound (Mother 2) and my old beloved Secret of Mana...

Special mention to Icewind Dale 2, great entertainement with surprisingly good writing, exceptional epic musics and my all-time favorite antagonists in RPG, Isair and Madea.

And Tides of Numenera is going to be released this month  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

And Tides of Numenera is going to be released this month  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

TBH my expectations for that game have gone downhill throughout this path month. I'll probably play it once to check out MCA's character and George Ziets' work on the Bloom, then I'll shelve it (metaphorically) and never look back.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Top three? wow thats a tough ask.  Well I'll try.

1. Baldur's gate saga aka Bg1 + TosC + Bg 2 + TOB. Can't separate these games anymore. I just love the whole saga. I happen to do a yearly replay and nowdays with the brand new EE editions. Heck I may have to actually add the siege of dragonspear dlc to that list so its actually: bg1+tosc -> SoD -> Bg2 -> Tob. Hundreds of hours of party based d&d content with RtwP combat can't get any better... Yes i am a baldur's gate nut.  :)

2. Witcher trilogy. The saga gets just better by each game. Witcher 3 itself may be the best rpg i've played in 10 years or so, but previous games are 5/5 for me as well. Great setting, wonderfull main character, awesome storyline...

3. Morrowind + bloodmoon + Tribunal. Its just one of those games I never get bored of. Its so rich and complex in every possible way. One of the most epic rpgs I've played. Larger than life. And the mods just take it to the next level.

If I had more slots...

4. Both kotor games. I'm an huge star wars fan, so I do think they're both almost equally wonderfull. The first one is a more traditional star wars tale with a big story twist. However the sequel gives a whole new spin to star wars universe which is why it is actually quite brilliant. Maybe even better than the orginal game. Just be sure to download the the restoration patch for kotor 2.

5. Planescape Torment. You just have to play this game to understand why it is loved. Best storytelling i've seen in rpgs. A very text heavy game though, but the narrative is so well crafted and its quite well writen. I don't think it is a game which people replay often, but it really blows your mind when you play it first time. I have great expectations for the spiritual sequel, Numenera.

6. Gothic saga aka gothic 1 + gothic 2 gold. First two gothics are definite classics which everyone should play atleast once in their lifetime. Gothic 3 is quite different as it is an openworld game and definitely not same quality, but even it has become quite enjoyable with the community patch 1.75. Besides gothic 3 gameworld is an explorer's dream. :)

7. Dragon Age orgins (+dlcs). I don't really care that much about the sequels (I haven't yet played the inquisition though, so who knows how much I like it), but the first dragon age game was just awesome. The writing was top notch. In particular those great characters such as Alistar, Morrigan, leliana, wynne, oghren, Sten... And the gameplay is just darn well designed. Fun combat, good level design, wonderfull music score and awesome setting. I can't fault this game. And there is tons of mods available as well.

8. Skyrim + dlcs. I have just logged hunderds of hours for Skyrim. I know rpg purists tend to laugh at skyrim, but I just enjoy it. And the modding just takes it to the next level. So well crafted setting and gameworld. Fun gameplay. Open world exploration can't get any better.

9. Deus ex 1. I've replayed this game dozen times though. It is bloody amazing how reactive the gameworld is even if the main story remains quite linear. I recommand downloading the revision mod which fixes many bugs and updates the visuals, enchants the level design etc without changing the gameplay much. 

10. Pillars of the eternity is nodoubt a great game. It gave me same kind of joy when I'm playing baldur's gates. I just can't wait to import my character to the sequel. I have great expectations Obsdian! :)

Edited by Carados

For just 3 I'd have to go with:

1. PS:T (first rpg I ever played, so its unlikely anything will ever be able to knock it down from the top spot for me)

2. Fallout NV

3. Fallout 2

All far from flawless games; combat in Torment is thankfully pretty rare which is really the only good thing you can say about it, the engines used in the modern fallout games are clearly not made for first-person-shooting even though thats what you spend half the time doing, and Fallout 2 is a bunch of cool set-piece locations with very little connection to each other.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

Witcher was just too good to be true. Probably because it is not American - do not hate me, Americans, but EU authors really make original books / films / games. :)

Did you... Actually bother to check where Obsidian is from before writing that? :-P

I never said Obsidian sucks, on the contrary it is a great RPG power and will remain a great studio in the future. But Sapkowski is just something else, if it was not for his books, CD projekt would have been somewhere else now.

Edited by IamNOOB

Sapkowski's books are above average at best, and highly unoriginal. They're a lot of fun to read, sure, but they're 'just' a mixture of Tolkien fantasy and Celtic/German myths, and he's most certainly not the first one to come up with the concept of dark fantasy (especially as it's firmly rooted in horror fiction that, to my knowledge, mostly comes from US)

Edited by Fenixp

Celtic - not so much, Slavonic - yes, but of course there are common mythological / folklore elements that are similar all over Europe. Sapkowski was original because his character was not superman and had a lot of problems men have or seem to be interested in simple stuff /such as sex/ not saving the world. Geralt is indeed original. And the books were also weird cause tyou surely expect more action /i.e. a witcher swinging swords or casting igni all the time/ but it had much more humour and dialogue than pure action. Plus it had something charming people cannot easily explain !

But topic is about TOP 3 rpgs SO LET us stop arguing about it.

Its a tough one tbh.

The only clear one would be the best

1. Planescape: Torment

The 2nd and 3rd pick could be various games, but for pure nostalgis purposes

2. BG2

3. Kotor 2

PoE is actually not far away from these, but still beneat those

Weird that people keep mentioning Dragon Age and Skyrim, I thought this thread was about RPGs... :)

I think a lot of people under-rate KotoR2 because of its slipshod ending.  If only they'd scrapped one of the planets in the middle of the game and spent that time giving KotoR2 the ending it deserved, it would probably end up on a lot more top-10 (or top-3) lists.

Weird that people keep mentioning Dragon Age and Skyrim, I thought this thread was about RPGs... :)

Those are not the only shooters with swords action "RPGs" people listed over here, either!

• Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think a lot of people under-rate KotoR2 because of its slipshod ending.  If only they'd scrapped one of the planets in the middle of the game and spent that time giving KotoR2 the ending it deserved, it would probably end up on a lot more top-10 (or top-3) lists.

It's true for Dragon Age 2&3, but the first was a true masterpiece - with solid story and characters, challenging fights and high replay factor.

KOTOR2 would never be a Top 3 RPG, because that series had subpar combat. You could mostly leave it on autopilot, and the over the shoulder cam + floating UI + party real time with pause made it so messy that the game had to become piss easy to compensate. It just felt a bit less boring because lightsabers and force choke. If we're talking a game with great writing and bad combat, then PST takes the cake.

DAO was a solid RPG that did everything pretty well - OK writing for most parts, fun combat, pretty good systems, etc. But if we're talking an all-rounder then BG2 is there in Top 3.

(In my utterly insignificant opinion, of course)

Edited by Tigranes

Combat in Planescape is not great, but I don't feel it is that bad neither. Sure it is rather easy and not the main part of the game, but I remember having some fun with combat.

Fighting the rat entity, streets of carceri curst or the box's fiend were a ton of fun. The magical items were epic (that Dak'kon blade, tatoos...) and the NPC had interesting unique perks (morté 75% physical resist...).

Combat acted a bit as a reward for curiosity. The more you speak, the more xp you, the stronger you get. For me it was a part of the experience of being a mighty immortal.

Not to mention combat music :-

("Ssshhh pathfinding, stay hidden, I won't tell them about you...")

Edited by Elric Galad

I also liked Dragon Age: Origins a lot. Especially the spell combos were neat. Too bad the skill/talent system was a bit simplistic and lacked a bit of variety. But the whole game was great.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods