The BEST 3 RPGs you have ever played

IamNOOB

Well glad I'm not the only Xenogears fan, seriously FFVIII really robbed that game of a chance of being considered better than 7 universally

My 3

Baldur's Gate 2

Xenogears

Fallout New Vegas

Morrowind (Introduced me to modding and since that was half the enjoyment I'll give it an honorable mention)

So hard to choose best RPGs, like asking someone to choose the best song or best movie... it depends so much on personal taste, and they're so different.

My top ten in no particular order would be: BG 2+TOB, Fallout 1/2, Mass Effect 2/3, Dragon Age Origins, Knights of the Old Republic saga, Icewind Dale II, A few of the Neverwinter Nights games (MotB), PS:T, Dungeon Siege 1, and last but not least Pillars. Honorable mention to Morrowind, Diablo 2, Guild Wars, and maybe a few others that I'm forgetting.

• Like 1

Skyrim/Oblivion - the people at Bethesda have really mastered making something fun out of a buggy simplistic mess

The first Mass Effect. Film grain + really nice audio and a really cool original universe.

The first English Fire Emblem on the GBA. Hard to explain if you never played those games but that one had a ranking system that incentivised not breaking the easily exploited systems.

(Didnt want to say PoE but I've sunk a sad number of hours into it)

If it was easy to answer - I would not ask the question !
Hah, so this is why I asked for just 3. Problems is most people wrote more than 3. Bad pupils you were in your school days, werent you ? :) I am not implying I am a teacher, do not get me wrong. I am not a teacher in real life. :)

And Tides of Numenera is going to be released this month  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

TBH my expectations for that game have gone downhill throughout this path month. I'll probably play it once to check out MCA's character and George Ziets' work on the Bloom, then I'll shelve it (metaphorically) and never look back.

Well, I'm currently playing it and I agree it is a bit disappointing.

Not a bad game, an overall good experience, but not great either and a lot of flaws.

And not close from Planescape, except from times to times for a couple of nice encounters.

It seems the game was too ambitious.

Console version, totally new game system, the tide concept, tons of promises...

Stating "Torment" in the title might have been a bit over-confident.

Pillars of Eternity seems to have been much more under control.

They reached their purpose, and maybe a bit beyond.

I have just watched "Road to Eternity" and it was really enjoyable to watch this bunch of passionate and talented people working together with a (rather) limited budget.

Making a worthy spiritual successor of some of the greatest PC games ever was a true challenge. Even with crowdfunding, planning it is not enough to succeed.

InXile did fail at it, even if Tides of Numenera is NOT a bad game IMHO.

But congrats, Obsidian, because you did it !

Edited by Elric Galad

1. Never Winter nights - Mod: Higher Ground (been there for ages)

2. Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim

3. Might and Magic series

Eye of the Beholder series. Pool of Radiance (1988). Bardstale (1985 - learned basic english with it cause failed that in school :) ) Wizardry series.  Planescape: Torment. Baldurs Gate. Gothic I. Fallout 1&2.

And resent: Risen I & The Witcher 1. And of cause: Pillars of Eternity.

Baldurs Gate 2.
Dragon Age: Origins.
Skyrim.

Honourable mention would be the NWN series. I pumped many hours into 1 & 2, but mainly into it's persistant world scene.

The campaigns they were sold with were okay. Hordes of the Underdark & Mask of the Betrayer being the stand out examples.

Edited by Androoh

1) Planescape:Torment

2) Arcanum(flawed, but I love it anyway)

3) Wizardry 8

I'd definitely give PoE, BG1&2, the Might and Magics and Icewind Dale honorable mentions, as well.

Edited by One2Many

• 1 month later...

1. PST

2. Morrowind

Those are always my top two. I love lore and world building done right. In Morrowind, I also like how it subverts the "Chosen One" trope even you do end up being the Chosen One in the end only bc you were such a dumb frick that you let others manipulate you for their own ends. (Or you can never figure that out if you just follow the main quest instead of exploring. The game makes sense either way, which I appreciate.)

3. Too many to list and the order of these games changes all the time so I'll just call this my Tier 2 games. I love them all.

Betrayal at Krondor, the Gothics (or 2 if I have to pick one), Realms of Arkania (the whole series but 2 if I have to pick one), the Ultimas (VII esp), Arcanum

4. Next tier would be games like Fallout 1 and F:NV, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Daggerfall, Baldur's Gates, Darklands, Wizardry, and many others that I'm forgetting ATM.

Edited by oaktownbrown

• 11 months later...

2.Pillars of Eternity

1.Arcanum Steam Works of Magic (Would have been my all time favourite but....it was kinda broken, and the ending was rushed.)

2. Fallout New Vegas

2. Fallout 1/2

1.Dragon Age Origins

1. Knights of the Old Republic 2 (Same as Arcanum)

3.  Skyrim with a bunch of awesome mods (Base game is MEH)

3.  Newerwinter Nights 2 (With patches + at least face lift mod)

3. Tyranny 

3. Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines 

4. Mass Effect 1&2

4. Fallout 3

4. Dragon Age Inquisition

Not in this order but these are the best games I've ever played in general. The ones with the number 1. are equally amazing and truly number 1 favourite (But I can't chose...).