The BEST 3 RPGs you have ever played

IamNOOB

Hey guys! It is a simple but interesting topic. You have to write down the best 3 RPGs you have ever played, excluding MMO, ofc it is not complusory to put PoE 1. or 2., it is all a subjective opinion thing. I am curious :) Hope to get more people to show their top 3.
:)

• Like 1

I'll blame this on the time and my mental state and other factors, but I'll actually answer this one. Plus, I always want to feed the beast, even if I generally don't. I'll even be a nice guy and not include non computer RPGs, since you didn't specify.

1. Planescape: Torment

2. for simple fun factor, I would include the gold box SSI games, and since Pool of Radiance was the first one as I recall, I'll name that one

3. To keep it fresh, I'm going counter-intuitive and name one that folks might argue is *not* an RPG, but I think the RPG aspects of Sunless Sea actually put it in that category.

In reality? Too many RPGs I've played and loved over the years to come up with a definitive list. Since I've played it, PS:T would always be number one, but I also enjoyed so many of the RPGs over the years. From Temple of Apshai in the distant past to Wasteland 2 more recently. I also pledge for the Torment game but I don't want play it until the official release date and I've gotten to be quite confused with the whole Steam thing. Anyhow, enough late ngiht rambling on my part.

• Like 1

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

1) The first KotOR

2) The first two Gothic games

3) The second Mass Effect

I'd put the first Deus Ex on top, but I don't consider it a pure RPG. Besides, it wouldn't be fair for the other games to include it anyway.

Bioware games tend to be better than Obsidian games, but Obsidian games allways have so much more potential than Bioware games. The problem Obsidian seems to have with most games it makes is the homogenous mood, where as Bioware has diversity of emotions to draw from in their narratives. Take the second KotOR; it's an inferior game to the first one by any measure, but it could've been so much better with the deeper philosophical aspects, but it falls flat with everything feeling the exact same doomy gloomy mystery. Even PoE suffers from this, and I think the folk at Obsidian have recognized the issue. They're brilliant when it comes to creating that mystical feeling, but that's the only thing they ever truly deliver in terms of mood. I know though that the other thing that has held them back have been unfinished games, Tyranny for example feels extremely unfinished, especially the third act which just falls flat and is over in less than an hour. I don't know if this is due to Paradox being difficult or Obsidian running out of inspiration, but it seems to be a recurring theme throughout their history. I'm glad PoE doesn't suffer from that as badly though.

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Everyone says Planescape , Oo

It's an exceptional RPG developed by Black Isle studios, a bunch of whose employees ended up working at Obsidian. This being Obsidian discussion forum... Well, it's not much of a surprise, basically :-P

Speaking of,

1.) Planescape: Torment for being the best RPG book

1.) Fallout for well-contained scope

1.) Pillars of Eternity for doing Baldur's Gate right

1.) Witcher 3 for being the best RPG movie

... I'm not very good at the "Top x thing"

Edit: Oh and special award for RPG that's not quite an RPG with quality of writing as good as Planescape Torment while also not being a book goes to:

0.) Sunless Sea

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

I would consider Pillars as one of the best (at least with patch 3.5), buuut I played way more games and if I could count it down to three it would be:

1. Divinity: Original Sin 

2. Arcanum

3. Fallout 2

and with eight more slots it would be

3.  Divinity 2 (The Dragon Knight Saga)

4.  NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

5.   Pillars of Eternity

6.   Vampire: Bloodlines

7.   Kotor 2  

8.  Alpha Protocol 

9.  NWN 2: Main Campaign

10.  Drakensang: At the River of Time

11.  Dead State Reanimated

Edited by Harry Easter

I will be that guy that will ask what means "best"?)

The RPG's I got most pleasure from, are: (in decreasing order)

1. Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone

2. Morrowind (this and NWN1 were my first RPGs ever)

3. Witcher series (1,2,3)

4. NWN1

5. Dragon Age (Origins, Awakening and Inquisition); Pillars of Eternity

6. NWN2

7. Oblivion

8. Dragon Age 2 (with mods and custom two-handed wizard)

9. Skyrim

On the other hand I understand, that if ordered by [quality * amount_of_work_required] there would likely be:

1. Witcher 3

2. -

3. -

And only then the rest.

Edited by MaxQuest

1 - Planescape: Torment

2 - Baldur's Gate II

3 - Pillars of Eternity

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

As much as I tend to dislike "Top x" threads, it's quite fascinating to see just how similar our lists look, yet on how many aspects of RPGs can a lot of us disagree. Just goes to show how incredibly flexible the genre can be I suppose

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 3