Blarghagh

You could hypothetically become president by winning something like 11 states by only 1 vote and not getting a single vote anywhere else

This is why I find the US system a bit odd, but hey, it's their playfield and they live with their choices and how they occur. Never really was interested in the mechanics, but it seems odd to me, that you can have such huge disparities between direct and indirect election method and for me it'd be logical that the indirect should move towards the direct one in terms of representation of results

I think that's the entire point of the electoral college system. To prevent population-rich states from dictating federal policy by virtue of having more voters. For better or worse it's working as intended.

It makes sense, it's just not often significant because the idea is...Let's say you have the EU vote on legislation. Pure population would be unfair and would be to the detriment of smaller states like Denmark and the Netherlands, even if they have drastically different cultures that should be recognized individually. Thus, each country needs some degree of more equal representation to account for their cultural differences.

In USA it's less blatantly neccesary since the cultural differences are mild, but I would argue this election is actually one of the first in a while that highlighted the need for the system. I would argue Michigan in particular is a great example of a state with a different outlook on things compared to the average USA state. When our economy is hurting, Michigan feels it first, and as such, Michigan has proven very unpredictable this election cycle because they've experienced issues many other states cannot even imagine. As such, Michigan has a very unique view moving forward that other states probably can't quite relate to.

For this issue, Michigan is a decent-sized State, but imagine if those unique problems were Alaska. Imagine if fracking for example largely occured in Alaska, and because the area was so remote and disconnected from middle America, politicians had an easier time downplaying the problems of fracking. If fracking were a major point for the election, then yes, I would like to see Alaska get their 3 electorate representation even if their population is peanuts compared to most states. Or let's say another election climate change is really affecting certain states that are barely above sea level as the sea level actually begins to rise. You might see a spike amongst these states voting for a candidate against climate change whilst landlocked ones that are less affected hardly consider that issue to be important. Cultures may not differ, but experiences regarding policies definitely can.

But yeah, the system is good in theory, it's just often a spark for frustration because the effects of it can be exceedingly subtle or seldomly pivotal.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

How is it unfair if I take into account only the votes of the entire EU? It doesn't matter how big your homecountry will be, every vote will be just a bite of a EU citizen. No country-tied votes

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

It seems that 47% of eligible voters didn't bother to vote.  So at least there is lot of people that people can blame for next 4 years. No need for self-reflection  :sweat:

It also seems that only ethnicity group that matters in US is whites.

CwztOcgVIAMftXZ.jpg

This would mean that white men would even elect Trump in California.

I doubt you can explain that with just economy.

Looks like a major cultural backlash.

How is the electoral system correcting that? The electors are the sum of representatives and senators of which only senators are chosen on an equal basis. Representatives are chosen on the basis of population and they make up the  majority of a state's electors (apart from the 7 smallest states).

So barring that small adjustment, it is the population numbers that dictate the results of the election.

Wyoming, which has population bit less than 600k has three electoral votes, so about 1 vote per 200k people

California, which has population of about 39 145 000 has 55 electoral votes, which is about 1 vote per 700k people.

But that's just because they have to have at least one representative and two senators. Yes it does make the system more egalitarian (from the point of view of the state as an entity, less so if you're looking at the value of a persons vote), but it doesn't really affect the overall power ratio all that much. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

How is it unfair if I take into account only the votes of the entire EU? It doesn't matter how big your homecountry will be, every vote will be just a bite of a EU citizen. No country-tied votes

Let's not pollute the US election thread with EU politics, but for that to be fair we'd first have to dismantle all EU members' ruling bodies. I'd rather see the current system fixed by, well, simply removing the requirement for votes to be unanimous and somehow making sure retards like Oettinger aren't allowed on the Commission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RrEQ8Ovw-Q

Yeah. Thanks for contributing that guy, Germany. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

That's what happens when you  let google translate your speech into a language you barely speak.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Trump: A small price to pay for getting rid of so many celebrities.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You'll still see their media. Not as if their residency affects people all that much, looking at it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No, it just means you have a misconception about California being an overwhelmingly liberal state.  In actuality it is a very diverse state that Ronald Reagan came out of.

You'll still see their media. Not as if their residency affects people all that much, looking at it.

Ah nobody will leave, i'm just quoting a meme. Personally I think that in a year or so the most hardened celebrity anti Trump campaigner will be attending White House soirees. They've no bottom or morales whatsoever, they just spout what's fashionable at the moment and remain smug elitists.

• Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Why is it surprising that a party which demonizes and marginalizes white men is hated by them in return?
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

No, it just means you have a misconception about California being an overwhelmingly liberal state.  In actuality it is a very diverse state that Ronald Reagan came out of.

Came out of 60 years ago.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/796396412325871616

Theory why Clinton didn't win.

It also make me think that she is speaking about this forum  :aiee:  :wowey:

I think Trump won because of people like her. Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 5

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Personally I feel like Trump was the worst candidate this election but what is done is done and the only course left is to work on the next elections and try to prevent him from restricting too many rights.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

libtard lady :dancing:

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

It's such pathetic demonisation and conspiracy theory crafting that makes me laugh, when Brexit results were announced and now, the desperate need to blame voters who don't align with their own smug elitist positions is always absolutely hilarious. One wonders how such people deal with the real world where not everyone echoes their inane tweeting.

• Like 2

Tea for the teapot!

Came out of 60 years ago.

That's some odd math.  Anyways, this is what California actually looks like:

PoliticalGeogFigure-4_web.png

It's such pathetic demonisation and conspiracy theory crafting that makes me laugh, when Brexit results were announced and now, the desperate need to blame voters who don't align with their own smug elitist positions is always absolutely hilarious. One wonders how such people deal with the real world where not everyone echoes their inane tweeting.

Well there are few bits of thruth in those tweets, for example that some people now must hide their political views for fear of being persecuted

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

My grin is out of orbit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZiI6kVkPXs

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy