The US Election 2016, Part VI

Pidesco

For the love of god, African elephants aren't even endangered. Smh, people will whine that the sky is blue when they should really be on his ass about that neckbeard.

Well, killing stuff for some BS sense of adventure or thrill doesn't have to target endangered life. Waste is waste.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

There's also this:

"All of that and more is available in a Google search. But here’s what most of the media wouldn’t next report.

First, what was with that elephant tail? Donald Jr. told me that TMZ didn’t report that Africans traditionally cut off the tail and make bracelets from the tail hair. TMZ didn’t seem to know—again, because they didn’t do any reporting—that Africans do this as a sign of respect for the fallen animal. And they didn’t report that elephants are over-populated in the area the Trumps hunted and so need to be hunted to prevent them from further destroying their habitat. They didn’t mention that when elephants overpopulate they literally rip down the forest. They didn’t note—and any conservation group could have told them this—the result of an overpopulated elephant herd is death by starvation and disease. Nor did they did contact the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority to find out that hunting is managed scientifically to benefit all species and the ecosystem.

TMZ didn’t respect the African culture enough to even ask these questions".

Doesn't excuse the Leopard though.

Source: Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2012/04/09/tmz-is-wrong-about-donald-trump-jr-and-safari-hunting/#39ef3383206f

Been deer and rabbit hunting myself, but I like the taste of well prepared deer and rabbit. I would never kill an animal just to say I did, tho. Killing a leopard pretty despicable if done for no other reason than to hoist its body for a view. None of this matters. Being a big game hunter is not a reason to vote for or against someone. Rationally, should look at policies and personal qualities that relate to the position the candidate seeks. Course, if Trump or Hillary broke laws in the hunt or were excessive in their hunting. Depopulated an area, or some such. Then it makes sense to factor in that personally dislike. Going on a big game hunt several years ago doesn't seem particularly disqualifying. Sons going on one makes it a complete non-issue.

• Like 2

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.

Exactly - This isn't really a nail in the coffin.  Seeing Hillary and Bill Clinton at the funeral of the Grand Dragon of the KKK on the other hand...

Secretary Clinton Comments on the Passing of Robert Byrd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wo9nqWrwE

As Byrd once announced:

“I shall never fight in the armed forces with a negro by my side … Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.”

-The link's arn't showing, but can easily be found on Youtube.

Edited by Chippy

Trump doesn't do anything himself, except maybe running his mouth.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well, killing stuff for some BS sense of adventure or thrill doesn't have to target endangered life. Waste is waste.

/not sure if serious.

Here in the Midwest we have entire seasons dedicate to killing stuff. Deer, various fowl, maybe bear too but I cant remember. I personally don't sport hunt because I don't like killing stuff.

Well I do hunt occasionally. But only for food. I've never trophy hunted and have never made trophies on any thing I've hunted or caught. But that's just my thing. As long as they are obeying the law and not behaving in a way that is cruel or endangering anyone else I'd say "who cares". 

Some of the worst evil acts in this world begin when one person figures they know better how another person ought to be living. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hey SJW Nazis, whitesplain to this fellow about racism:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMBLg3jS32k

Didn't watch the whole thing, but it was interesting. Fellow went medieval on the interviewer with a broadsword made of words.

Racism is horrible, but the unfounded accusation of racism is just as bad. Silences legitimate debate. Reinforces distrust. Hurts minorities as a group. People complain about Brexit. British Brexit voters are given the Trump treatment. They're either doddering old geezers who don't know their head from their arseholes or they're truly vile racist pigs who want to oppress minorities. It can't be something as simple as wanting to maintain control of your own land. Why should Europe have more control over Britain than the UK has over the larger realm? Why is it racist to determine one's own national identity, structure, and organization. Then, people make absolutely mad proclamations. If the EU seeks to punish Britain, they will be punishing themselves at the same time. It is the tendency of Brussels power brokers, bureaucrats, and apparatchiks to overstep their bounds and seek ever increasing control of member nations that led to Brexit, something far more important to the citizenry as I reckon than the color of someone else's skin.

Not saying Brexit is good. Merely saying that it means more than the dismissively arrogant people make it out to be and considerably less at the same time. Attacking Brexit voters did manage to subdue the movement, but it mostly just moved support out of sight.

The Donald might not win this election, but the same tactics that failed to subdue Brexit might not suffice against Trump. Don't personally think that the polls are wrong, per se, but do believe that he does have some amount of support more than the polls suggest. Not by a lot and it would be foolish for someone to read too much into "hidden Trump supporters," but some of his support has been driven underground. Same thing happened with the Commonwealth of Virginia when they elected Wilder. Polls had him much higher than the vote reflected. He won, but with surprisingly smaller margin. Can debate why, but as I reckon it's undoubtedly the historic nature of the first black governor of the Commonwealth. People were reluctant to say they were against him because they undoubtedly, and from the looks of the coverage, reasonably assumed that they would be branded racist for no other reason.

Rooting out racism at this point causes more unhappiness all around than racism itself. Government should protect the rights of all citizens. That should be it. The accusation has become sufficiently toxic that the population is developing an immunity to it. Like Catholic ex communication, the racist charge will become meaningless, even in cases where real racism exists. How does that serve society?

tl;dr Gave away the secret that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

/not sure if serious.

Here in the Midwest we have entire seasons dedicate to killing stuff. Deer, various fowl, maybe bear too but I cant remember. I personally don't sport hunt because I don't like killing stuff.

That's different from traveling to another continent just to go kill an animal in what I assume is not a great challenge.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Am I the only one here who finds it more than a little hilarious how Trump is giving a speech on the economy in a luxury hotel that was famous not only for being featured in Scent of a Woman but also for being bought out by a Chinese insurance firm? Actually, the State Department stopped using it due to concerns that the rooms were bugged by Chinese intelligence.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Used to have a bow, simple recurve one many years ago. Also had a hand crossbow. The bow could do some damage, but not a lot of pull weight. The hand crossbow was little more than a toy. I've played around with compound bows, but they're far too expensive for a humble chap like myself. Use a gun to kill deer and the money I'd spend on a good bow I'll put into a fancy new smoker that I'll use to make venison.

Bear hunting with a bow sound great until you realize that so many bear hunters simply wait in a redoubt for a bear to come to a baited area. I don't begrudge hunters, especially since some areas of the world encourage hunting for population control. Had a friend in the American Midwest who would get a population control license. That was a while ago. Don't know if you can still get one, but killing off deer was essentially a public service.

What all this has to do with the American election escapes me, but I would love to hunt again. The old lady hates hunting for any reason and pointing out that someone kills the meat she enjoys so much in meals only results in an overnight stay at the couch hotel.

• Like 1

Rooting out racism at this point causes more unhappiness all around than racism itself.

Spoken like someone who's never really experienced racism personally.

How the hell would you know at all what I've experienced? Course, I'm not going to compete for a place in the victimhood hierarchy, so if you want to make assumptions, all good.

Rooting out racism at this point causes more unhappiness all around than racism itself.

Spoken like someone who's never really experienced racism personally.

How the hell would you know at all what I've experienced? Course, I'm not going to compete for a place in the victimhood hierarchy, so if you want to make assumptions, all good.

Quid the point where people say " white people haven't experienced racism "  is an interesting  one and it is nuanced 

I would like your opinion on this. For me personally as a white South African whose family lived through Apartheid I dont think "  black on white "  racism is the same as " white on black " racism 

This is a controversial point and many white South Africans do feel they are victims of racism now that Apartheid is over and many people on these forums always get annoyed when someone says " white people don't understand what real racism is " or " white people cant be victims of racism " 

But whats your view? I'll give you my view shortly, I am just busy with some work commitments  

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

First thing: I sometimes make strongly opinionated posts, but I try my best not to take things personally. I've been exceptionally lucky in many way. For example, the old lady and I recently decided to purchase a new car. I work on my own cars and we keep them for a long time. we have one from the 90s (which we will NEVER sell) and had one from 2003. I wanted at least one car I didn't have to work on all the time, so we got a nice four door sedan. My father in law paid cash for it. That's probably not entirely common and some folks might think I'm lucky for that. Father in law buys a lot of things for us.

The bad things in my life? They're... personal. Reckon some of you lads would think they were tragic, but I never tell even my closest friends about the really terrible things in my life. I typically don't want to think about them. None of them had to do with race. I spose I'll own to aluminumoxide that I haven't experienced racism. Only fair between us mates to come out with the truth.

I've lived in countries where my skin color was the minority. I've lived in a country where my religion was the minority. In my own country, I am technically a minority, which is just stupid.

What I'm trying to explain to you lads is that the charge of racism pursued with all results in candidates like Trump. When people say that none of your thoughts or opinions matter because you've never experienced (insert whatever here), they close off debate and that causes a lot of resentment. Being too free with anti-racism rhetoric results in an increase in racism. As a matter of fact, BruceVC, I have a dear friend who lived in South Africa for a time during apartheid also. She's English originally, but has lived in a variety of countries.

My aim isn't to trivialize racism. My point is that it's not some magical force, no matter how terrible it is. When I hear some people who have never faced some of the outright ugliness I have in my life tell me about a time they went into the store and someone followed them, I smile politely. I am determined not to be angry with people on this issue. I have worked tremendously to help some people who are not the same race as me. I didn't do that because they were a minority and I felt bad. I didn't do it because I had racial guilt. I did this because they were my friends. Imagine if one of you lot knocked at my door in the middle of the night, I would try to help you. As long as I was assured of the old lady's safety first, of course.

• Like 2

My aim isn't to trivialize racism.

Well, you kind of failed at your aim then, because saying **** like "rooting out racism at this point causes more unhappiness all around than racism itself" is pretty much the definition of trivializing racism. But that's not really the problem: the problem is that you've never experienced racism yourself, yet you still feel free to judge just how much unhappiness it causes. To me, it kind of sounds like those old-time medieval biology texts whose writers sure as hell haven't seen the animals they're talking about, but sorta-kinda heard some legends and that made them experts on the matter. And we all know how reliable those texts were.

My point is that it's not some magical force, no matter how terrible it is.

Congratulations, you're agreeing with the people you claim to disagree with, then.

Racism will never leave, as long as we keep crying about it. That goes for all problems as well

Yup, because the good ol' "stick your head in the sand and hope it goes away on its own" method of problem-solving has such a great track record of being proven successful.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Racism will never leave, as long as we keep crying about it. That goes for all problems as well

And what exactly happens if we stop crying about it?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

stuff

And here I thought we were bonding through our disagreement. Saying that it is not exactly the issue you present it to be is not the same as saying it's not any issue at all. Guess your point is I can't talk about a charge leveled against me because I've never faced it. Which amounts to telling me to shut up and agree you because you speak with authority. But I kith that this is an issue where you long for the final say. Have your final say and I'll let my comments stand as they are for other people to judge. Around here, I imagine I'm in the minority and so might be pilloried for my views. That's all good, mate. I encourage you to keep talking. Man of my word, I'll leave your next response unanswered.

And what exactly happens if we stop crying about it?

Absolutely nothing. ...But hearing one more lecture from people about the evils of racism will have the same effect. Anyone who believes that racism can be rectified in society is misguided.

First thing: I sometimes make strongly opinionated posts, but I try my best not to take things personally. I've been exceptionally lucky in many way. For example, the old lady and I recently decided to purchase a new car. I work on my own cars and we keep them for a long time. we have one from the 90s (which we will NEVER sell) and had one from 2003. I wanted at least one car I didn't have to work on all the time, so we got a nice four door sedan. My father in law paid cash for it. That's probably not entirely common and some folks might think I'm lucky for that. Father in law buys a lot of things for us.

The bad things in my life? They're... personal. Reckon some of you lads would think they were tragic, but I never tell even my closest friends about the really terrible things in my life. I typically don't want to think about them. None of them had to do with race. I spose I'll own to aluminumoxide that I haven't experienced racism. Only fair between us mates to come out with the truth.

I've lived in countries where my skin color was the minority. I've lived in a country where my religion was the minority. In my own country, I am technically a minority, which is just stupid.

What I'm trying to explain to you lads is that the charge of racism pursued with all results in candidates like Trump. When people say that none of your thoughts or opinions matter because you've never experienced (insert whatever here), they close off debate and that causes a lot of resentment. Being too free with anti-racism rhetoric results in an increase in racism. As a matter of fact, BruceVC, I have a dear friend who lived in South Africa for a time during apartheid also. She's English originally, but has lived in a variety of countries.

My aim isn't to trivialize racism. My point is that it's not some magical force, no matter how terrible it is. When I hear some people who have never faced some of the outright ugliness I have in my life tell me about a time they went into the store and someone followed them, I smile politely. I am determined not to be angry with people on this issue. I have worked tremendously to help some people who are not the same race as me. I didn't do that because they were a minority and I felt bad. I didn't do it because I had racial guilt. I did this because they were my friends. Imagine if one of you lot knocked at my door in the middle of the night, I would try to help you. As long as I was assured of the old lady's safety first, of course.

This is a very good post. You make some honest, candid and accurate points  :thumbsup:

I still need to make my post around this but I need time to focus on this and until I have finished work for the day I wont be able to do that

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela