What are you playing right now?

Gorth

Had an epiphany about that document in Rise of the Tomb Raider I seemingly had no access to anymore. Managed to get it, so got the game to 100% completion.

Back to PoE (and Endless Paths) now, Fampyrs are so bloody annoying...

EDIT: made it to floor 11 op the Path, getting a good remind of all the things I disliked about the game. Ugh. Time to take a break from Od Nua at least.

Edited by marelooke

Playing Destiny's MP mode makes me actually miss CoD's hardcore mode, where one or two shots kills the enemy.  I swear I couldn't get a single kill today despite the fact 80% of the time I saw my opponent first, got off the first two shots that hit him, yet still could not kill him.  Then he spots me, shoots me once or twice, and I'm dead.

It's beyond frustrating.  It's one thing if my opponent is constantly seeing me first and gets the first shot(s) in.  But the majority of the time I've shot him two or three times before he even sees me, then he just turns and kills me.

I can't find a gun that works.  The auto rifles have the continuous fire I like, but do absolutely NO damage.  The scout rifle has more damage, but it's like firing a gun from the wild west and so easy for him to dodge when the first couple of shots don't put him down.  And the pulse rifle is sort of in between those two -- shoots too slow, but also doesn't pack a punch.  I live or die based on my fusion rifle and my special powers.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

^speaking of PvP, I ran into my first instance ever of lag affecting a game.  Amazingly, I was actually leading the lobby in score when I noticed that everything just slowed down.  I'd see an enemy coming at me, attempt to shoot at him, but notice my gun wasn't firing.  Then he'd suddenly go from fifty feet away to right in front of me in a blink of an eye.

Of course it just had to happen when I was actually doing well.  :getlost:

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Back to the Witcher 3, just living the life of an itinerant Witcher, wandered back into Novigrad for some reason to hear Priscilla singing of Yen and Geralt. I'd forgotten just how well made this game is, usually singing in video games comes off as far too mawkish and cringeworthy, like Lillyallan's song from Dragon Age or any Bioware cutscene really, but this was actually touching and well implemented. Firmly lodged in ones noggin now as well, i've already caught myself humming a few bars.

Strange that Jaskier doesn't get such a moment.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

More Iron Banner in Destiny.

I don't know how other PvP players are so efficient with shotguns.  When they use them, it's like they walk up to you and kill you in one shot while you're trying to shoot them a million times.  When I try to use shotguns, 80% of the time they kill me before I get close enough, 10% of the time I get off one shot but they kill me before I can shoot again, and 10% of the time I catch a lucky break and kill them.

On the topic of equipment, I actually got a level 310 drop for my artifact slot.  The bad news is my item there was already 304, so it was the last equipment slot I actually needed another 300+ drop.  What's weirder still is the fact I've had FOUR item drops for that slot that were 300 or better.  Yet, every other equipment slot is below 300.  Frustrating trying to level up above 300 for my character.

i never liked shotguns in games either. too random for my taste.

i got a guest pass and i'm trying black desert online. visually it's quite impressive and i don't even have it on medium because the 1GB of my old 7770 cant handle crowded areas (otherwise it runs smoothly). so far i like it, but the one thing i don't like is the housing system that allows all players to own all houses of all towns at the same time

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I have multiple people trying to convince me to play Black Desert Online.  I have a guest pass going right now.  I am trying, but I don't really get it.

Game is just an Asian grinder and given how the cash shop works they're just trying to squeeze players for as much as they can before inevitably failing. I have *no* idea where all the hype for the game came from (a cynical me would consider "paid reviews" and/or "low standards").

I mean, for a game that only has PvP at the highest levels, punishes one for actually engaging in it (unless you P2W your way past that with a cash shop item, then you can gank/grief to your harts content), has a big focus on economy etc. but about 0 character customization (outside of the character creator, and even the character creation leaves much to be desired, eg. I don't care that I can mess with every finger bone if there's only like 10 ugly hairstyles to choose from) without having to open your wallet I really fail to see the appeal. To top it off you're forced to pick a family name for your character(s) but names still need to be unique *major facepalm*

EVE Online has just as good a character creator (I'd even go as far as to say that the BD one is *heavily* inspired by it, to put it mildly), has an even more awesome economy and, for a game where most of the time you don't see your actual player character has *much* more character customization in the way of clothing, hairstyles etc. But it's not F2P and SciFi instead of fantasy.

Anyway, BD might evolve into something. There's stuff there that's good, but it's got a looong way to go and whether it will ever get there given the extremely bad first impression a lot of people got is debatable.

EDIT: tried firing it up again. Apparently their "anti-cheat" system now detects Comodo Antivirus (among a bunch of other common programs) as a "threat", their "solution" is to uninstall your antivirus. Moreover I now found out that apparently that piece of software sends loads of data about your system to their servers, apparently also keystrokes. Maybe I should just get rid of the game entirely.

Edited by marelooke

Well depends on the shotgun type and then on perks on that shotgun. And then if they headshot you or not.  Or maybe they have an auto shotgun. Last week i believe Xur was selling Invective. That is an awesome shotgun. You just come near someone and hold the fire button. He dies. ANd the ammo regenerates after 30 seconds or so.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I was playing AC Unity, but it didn't hold my interest like every other AC game did. Story wasn't that interesting and the side stuff cluttered up the map so much it was overwhelming.

So I started up another playthrough of PoE to go through White March, but couldn't stay interested, played a Transvaal game of Vicky 2 then a CSA games, now playing Flanders in EU4. It needs a regenerate mp for the custom new world, because quitting and reloading the real world so you can generate a new one every time you get 4 islands and a desert for your new world is time consuming. They need to fix colonial regions and trade routes for custom new world too.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Forgot how terribland the Novigrad parts of Twitcher 3 are. Game really takes a nosedive after Velen is wrapped up.

Running back and forth around the city was kinda bland, but the actual story content was good, and it picked up a lot when you get to Skellige.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I have multiple people trying to convince me to play Black Desert Online.  I have a guest pass going right now.  I am trying, but I don't really get it.

Game is just an Asian grinder and given how the cash shop works they're just trying to squeeze players for as much as they can before inevitably failing. I have *no* idea where all the hype for the game came from (a cynical me would consider "paid reviews" and/or "low standards").

I mean, for a game that only has PvP at the highest levels, punishes one for actually engaging in it (unless you P2W your way past that with a cash shop item, then you can gank/grief to your harts content), has a big focus on economy etc. but about 0 character customization (outside of the character creator, and even the character creation leaves much to be desired, eg. I don't care that I can mess with every finger bone if there's only like 10 ugly hairstyles to choose from) without having to open your wallet I really fail to see the appeal. To top it off you're forced to pick a family name for your character(s) but names still need to be unique *major facepalm*

EVE Online has just as good a character creator (I'd even go as far as to say that the BD one is *heavily* inspired by it, to put it mildly), has an even more awesome economy and, for a game where most of the time you don't see your actual player character has *much* more character customization in the way of clothing, hairstyles etc. But it's not F2P and SciFi instead of fantasy.

Anyway, BD might evolve into something. There's stuff there that's good, but it's got a looong way to go and whether it will ever get there given the extremely bad first impression a lot of people got is debatable.

EDIT: tried firing it up again. Apparently their "anti-cheat" system now detects Comodo Antivirus (among a bunch of other common programs) as a "threat", their "solution" is to uninstall your antivirus. Moreover I now found out that apparently that piece of software sends loads of data about your system to their servers, apparently also keystrokes. Maybe I should just get rid of the game entirely.

EVE is a completely different kind of game. i was playing EVE some years ago but it started feeling more like work and i got tired of it.

you see, the thing about BD is that it wasn't what most imagined it to be (me included) and so everyone was in some way or other disappointed with it (some more, some less). and to be honest, so far i find it less grindy than GW2 that was supposed to be a grind free game.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

EVE is a completely different kind of game. i was playing EVE some years ago but it started feeling more like work and i got tired of it.

you see, the thing about BD is that it wasn't what most imagined it to be (me included) and so everyone was in some way or other disappointed with it (some more, some less). and to be honest, so far i find it less grindy than GW2 that was supposed to be a grind free game.

EVE is rather different indeed, though given the focus of BD on trading/economy and the very similar character creator I thought a comparison wasn't entirely crazy. But yeah, EVE ends up being work if you want to get anywhere, it's also the main reason I quit.

I guess the problem with BD is that it was hyped up to be more than it was. As I said earlier in this thread: there's some novel mechanics there that could possibly be interesting. There's been attempts at quests that aren't just "kill stuff" either.

But the game is marred by a bunch of problems that I personally found rather painful:

• character costumes are bland, doesn't matter how much you level up, your character will look pretty much the same
  • the cash shop, it's the one way to actually look different (but the same as all other cash shop purchasers, I guess), but prices are insane. And at least one item (the Ghillie suit) could be considered P2W, gamebreaking or at the very least a very bad idea...
  • the writing/translation is not exactly great
  • the first 10 levels fly by, seemingly because quests where shortened(?). I mean, the start of the game seemed to move much too fast to me compared to the levels after that
  • lack of a decent explanation of most systems (I used Youtube to try to figure most of them out)
  • toxic community (really, the forums are a horrible place)
  • the anti-cheat system is broken and refuses to run the game when eg. Avast, Comodo or a few other quite common applications are installed (don't even have to be running), their "solution" so far boils down to getting rid of your anti-virus/anti-malware software.
  • the (combo based) combat system, so far, doesn't seem to live up to the hype. GW2's seems more dynamic to me. Then again, the mechanics aren't that well explained and I'm not that far in yet.

It's been too long since I really played GW2, so making comparisons to that game is a bit hard for me, though at least there I managed to get my character to her final quest (which was a group quest, so I never completed it), albeit years after release. Moreover I found the story a lot more engaging (which likely boils down to the writing/translation point above)

BD might improve over time, and I'll keep an eye on it (assuming they get their anti-cheat fixed), but as I said before I'm not quite convinced that given the negative press and the likely exodus of disappointed players the game will do well enough for that to happen.

Edited by marelooke

Well depends on the shotgun type and then on perks on that shotgun. And then if they headshot you or not.  Or maybe they have an auto shotgun. Last week i believe Xur was selling Invective. That is an awesome shotgun. You just come near someone and hold the fire button. He dies. ANd the ammo regenerates after 30 seconds or so.

Funny enough after my post this afternoon I decided to play some more Iron Banner, wielding a shotgun.  I cleaned up in the match, but did so in a cheap way.  I'd basically just hide around corners, and even though they can see me on their radar, they figure I'm just going to try shooting them with a regular gun.  They turn the corner and ... bam! ... shotgun to the face.

It was also Team Control, so with my exotic auto rifle that chains lightning damage when multiple enemies are close to each other, I cleaned up on the other team whenever they'd all be trying to claim a flag.

Finished my second playthrough of The Old Hunters DLC. The music in the Laurence fight is really great, basically telling his story.

Now I'm pumped for Dark Souls 3. Only nine more days. :teehee:

• Like 2

EVE is rather different indeed, though given the focus of BD on trading/economy and the very similar character creator I thought a comparison wasn't entirely crazy. But yeah, EVE ends up being work if you want to get anywhere, it's also the main reason I quit.

I guess the problem with BD is that it was hyped up to be more than it was. As I said earlier in this thread: there's some novel mechanics there that could possibly be interesting. There's been attempts at quests that aren't just "kill stuff" either.

But the game is marred by a bunch of problems that I personally found rather painful:

• character costumes are bland, doesn't matter how much you level up, your character will look pretty much the same
  • the cash shop, it's the one way to actually look different (but the same as all other cash shop purchasers, I guess), but prices are insane. And at least one item (the Ghillie suit) could be considered P2W, gamebreaking or at the very least a very bad idea...
  • the writing/translation is not exactly great
  • the first 10 levels fly by, seemingly because quests where shortened(?). I mean, the start of the game seemed to move much too fast to me compared to the levels after that
  • lack of a decent explanation of most systems (I used Youtube to try to figure most of them out)
  • toxic community (really, the forums are a horrible place)
  • the anti-cheat system is broken and refuses to run the game when eg. Avast, Comodo or a few other quite common applications are installed (don't even have to be running), their "solution" so far boils down to getting rid of your anti-virus/anti-malware software.
  • the (combo based) combat system, so far, doesn't seem to live up to the hype. GW2's seems more dynamic to me. Then again, the mechanics aren't that well explained and I'm not that far in yet.

It's been too long since I really played GW2, so making comparisons to that game is a bit hard for me, though at least there I managed to get my character to her final quest (which was a group quest, so I never completed it), albeit years after release. Moreover I found the story a lot more engaging (which likely boils down to the writing/translation point above)

BD might improve over time, and I'll keep an eye on it (assuming they get their anti-cheat fixed), but as I said before I'm not quite convinced that given the negative press and the likely exodus of disappointed players the game will do well enough for that to happen.

well, i agree about the costumes and the cash shop (though except for that suit i did not see anything else that looked p2w).

the writing-translation is the same it has always been in this kind of game so i didn't even bother noticing it.

in all mmos the early levels fly by fast and the later levels need some more work. if you focus on combat and you move from place to place following the monster levels, you can get levels pretty fast. if you stay around the same area focusing on other activities, you won't be getting much xp

it's true that there is not much explanation for game systems, but there is an extensive amount of quests that take you through each process step by step and you also have in game access to the wiki

so far i did not encounter the toxic community issue. i actually found it really helpful (at least in game). for example i fell off a cliff in the sea and there was no place nearby to get out of the water so i was at risk of drowning once my stamina ran out. a guy in a fishing boat that was just passing by stopped next to me, let me get on board and gave me a ride to the nearest beach

the game never gave me any trouble with avast or any other program i have installed. i may just have been lucky i guess

the combo system works, you just need to get the hang of it. the biggest advantage of the combo system is that you don't have to map every single skill to a different button, instead you use the same type of button combinations that you would use in street fighter to switch between moves. it makes the combat more fluid and allows to chain attacks and evades seamlessly if you master it without taking your hands off the WASD keys and becoming stationary as you try to reach keys all around the keyboard

let me give you an example of how i used it effectively to kill a lv25 monster while i was lv18 (valkyrie)

S+LMB = uppercut then immediately W+LMB (normally LMB=normal attack and W+LMB=strong attack, but W+LMB after an uppercut engages defense mode and becomes counter attack while blocking all incoming attacks for a few seconds). then RMB=shield bash (can make the enemy turn his back to you, didn't work in this case) followed by S+RMB for what was my currently most powerful attack. then D+LMB for making an attack while evading to the right, S+F to kick the monster away (F=kick that pushes back weak enemies, S+F=strong kick for bigger things), S+E for a magic attack that stuns the target then sprint behind it for bonus damage. while it's back was turned E=graple worked (i wasn't expecting it to) and i forced the monster to the ground giving me an even bigger bonus to damage until it got up. at that point the initial combo was out of cooldown and i could use it again. in the end i killed the monster without losing more than 1/4 of my hp

Edited by teknoman2

-Teknoman2-

Funny enough after my post this afternoon I decided to play some more Iron Banner, wielding a shotgun.  I cleaned up in the match, but did so in a cheap way.  I'd basically just hide around corners, and even though they can see me on their radar, they figure I'm just going to try shooting them with a regular gun.  They turn the corner and ... bam! ... shotgun to the face.

It was also Team Control, so with my exotic auto rifle that chains lightning damage when multiple enemies are close to each other, I cleaned up on the other team whenever they'd all be trying to claim a flag.

Pretty much Destiny PVP in a nutshell. Sometimes you rock and sometimes you wish it would end already. But getting away from the game completely ... that's the big challenge. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

here's what i found out about BDO: the korean version is f2p and p2w. the p2w aspect is not about power ups for players to make them stronger than others though, it's all in the RNG. every single game mechanic is RNG based and in the korean version the system is rigged against the players but whoever wants to, can buy a "RNG bypass" and get the best result in every roll making the game much easier compared to a free player (i.e he can't lose the horse taming minigame no matter how high level the horse is).

in the EU and NA versions that are pay to buy but no subscription, there is no "RNG bypass" but the RNG system is not rigged either so everyone is on a level playing field... except for that suit but from i'm told it only hides the name and they can still see you on the map

-Teknoman2-

The music in the Laurence fight is really great, basically telling his story.

Interesting. I just beat the first boss in the DLC for the first time but I am looking forward to it. Speaking of which, do you remember this? :)

So. Damn. Awesome.  <3

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.