What are you playing right now?

Gorth

Just bought Grim Dawn. Took a look at the skill trees and I think I will make a lifesteal-focused melee occultist/shaman. Sounds viable to the more seazoned GD players here? Or is the idea of a Conjurer who doens't conjure as bad as it sounds?

You can play a conjurer without summons, that isn't the big deal, and Occultist can be a decent mastery to buff melee, I'm just not sure that a lifesteal melee Conjurer would work all that well (there aren't that many synergies between the life stealing skills of both masteries and the melee abilities) - they're usually played as casters. You'd probably end up with a character that doesn't deal enough damage and has trouble surviving, exacerbated by your lack of gear and that recent defensive Devotion nerf.

Truth to be told, I didn't have much specific things in mind, as I don't know the game mechanics enough to be sure of what synergises. I just saw both masteries had a couple of life-draining skills and thought about stacking them.

I also really wanted to start with the Occultist mastery and do something other than just throwing summons around(As I had my share of summoning builds in Path of Exile).

Could you recomend a more straightforward build for me to get used to game mechanics, then? I don't want to build my first char into a corner, even if I could technically respec out of it later. Something that uses summons is OK, but I don't want to focus on them.

Considering getting the Division but the fact that I dropped Destiny so quickly is stopping me

I dropped Destiny quickly as well. The Division is way better. I am hooked.

I scooped it up with a 23% coupon from GMG

MAR23 is the code if anyone else is interested. Works for any edition or the season pass by itself if you already have the game

I'm getting humiliated in this game. I'm only level 4 and I've died probably a dozen times and half of those were in the tutorial area

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Those heroic vanguard strikes in Destiny are such a pain.  The final boss fight that I just went through was so annoying.  Spamming enemies, enclosed space, and one of the dudes who I was playing with up and quit after we failed the first attempt.

It says recommended light level of 260+.  More like you better be 300+ (which I'm not), because even the weakest enemy takes dozens of shots to kill and some of them can one or two-shot you.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Truth to be told, I didn't have much specific things in mind, as I don't know the game mechanics enough to be sure of what synergises. I just saw both masteries had a couple of life-draining skills and thought about stacking them.

I also really wanted to start with the Occultist mastery and do something other than just throwing summons around(As I had my share of summoning builds in Path of Exile).

Could you recomend a more straightforward build for me to get used to game mechanics, then? I don't want to build my first char into a corner, even if I could technically respec out of it later. Something that uses summons is OK, but I don't want to focus on them.

Actually, it is not necessary to recommend something else. Conjurer vitality caster builds are fun to play - you just said you wanted to melee which is something you won't be doing much because all the abilities you're going to use are spells. :)

Take something like this as your baseline spec: http://grimcalc.com/build/hBgCdn

It has the main damage buffs and abilities you need - loads of vitality damage and with Devouring Swarm an ability that lowers enemy vitality resistance.

The rest is pretty much up to you but I would recommend some points in Grasping Vines, Curse of Frailty for some crowd control as you want them to stay close to your killing fields and Blood of Dreeg as an added layer of defense just in case. A point in doom bolt would give you a powerful single target nuke, points in Solael's Witchfire will buff your damage and the Shaman tree in general has a bunch of great health and suriviability buffs you can pick up.

As far as Devotions go you'd need to pick up a few defensive ones even with the recent nerf and Wendigo is pretty much a given since it plays very much into your hands.

Have fun dropping things on the ground and watching them die. :D

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Those heroic vanguard strikes in Destiny are such a pain.  The final boss fight that I just went through was so annoying.  Spamming enemies, enclosed space, and one of the dudes who I was playing with up and quit after we failed the first attempt.

It says recommended light level of 260+.  More like you better be 300+ (which I'm not), because even the weakest enemy takes dozens of shots to kill and some of them can one or two-shot you.

Try nightfall if you want to see what an annoying strike is supposed to be.

I'm getting humiliated in this game. I'm only level 4 and I've died probably a dozen times and half of those were in the tutorial area

Just take it easy and have fun so that by the time you get to end game there is an endgame. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I've been playing Van Helsing: Final Cut. Its pretty fun. Not at all like Grim Dawn; whereas GD is dark and nihilistic, VH:FC has a buddy-cop sarcasm thing going on. Still, its not every game that lets me run around summoning mechanical spiders to do my bidding while battering with my ghost sidekick.

I've been playing Van Helsing: Final Cut. Its pretty fun. Not at all like Grim Dawn; whereas GD is dark and nihilistic, VH:FC has a buddy-cop sarcasm thing going on. Still, its not every game that lets me run around summoning mechanical spiders to do my bidding while battering with my ghost sidekick.

The sequel was my favorite, just avoid the third one or make sure that you know what you're getting into.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Replacing the classes people had been playing for two games was a bad move. At least it alienated me to a point where I didn't finish the third game. I want my character back :/

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Decided to level up my Titan in Destiny.  My Warlock and Hunter are both at level 40, but it's going to take a while to catch up with my Titan.  He's around level 33.

The gear is absolutely awful at that level.  The best gear/equipment seem to be level 20, and then you don't seem to find any purple gear until you reach level 40.  Right now I've got a green helmet (green!) equipped because it's got the best stats.  Green!

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

finished first difficulty in Grim Dawn with my Conjurer, i must say final fight was pretty hard for me, as my pets where constantly attacking trash mobs instead of boss. Started on warlock character now because i dont feel like my first character can survive higher difficulty without proper items

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Level 35 now in Grim Dawn. My build is a total soup sandwich but its working so far. :lol:

A couple of questions: how often will the dynamite respawn in the various mines? Is there a place to farm Tainted Brain Matter? I think Ive only found it in two chests (which had to be blown open) but are there any mooks that drop it?

I think all the bosses have a chance to drop brains? I know I've never gotten them from chests, but only from defeating things like Darius and the Warden (and their respective guardians ont he way there).

I finally got a character to level 70 last night. It's my saboteur. After the latest patch, it's much more fun to play than my life-steal soldier (who is level 66). Basically because I don't die every 20 seconds with it.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Gfted1: mkreku is correct. Farm the Warden, for instance. Otherwise, salvage epic items or convert Ancient Hearts (or was it Blood of Chthon?) at the cursed Blacksmith at the Necropolis.

I have the same experience as mkreku. My life-stealish Trickster got stuck in mid-Elite (it dies too often). But my Sorceress does not drop dead too frequently, and right before she was about to kill the end boss at Elite difficulty, she found a Legendary gun during that Retrieve the Cannons-quest in the Aether-infested area just north of Homestead.

And gosh, does it kill or does it bloody murder? Toting it is a dream come true. I'm now near Act 2 in Ultimate, and it's going pretty well. :)

gM461V.jpg

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

So, I was making the rounds over the past weekend visiting friends I'll likely not get to see in a long time, since I'm moving 750 miles away in less than 2 weeks, and I got to play the hot new game on the scene, The Division.  I don't get what the buzz is about, I found the game dreadfully boring.  First, I'll give credit where credit is due, the game looks impressive.  I wish it were in a setting more interesting than wasteland New York, but the graphics are great.  The gunplay is decent enough and getting a good drop feels good.  Beyond that, though, I found nothing interesting about the game.  Why is this a Tom Clancy game (other than milking the name for money)?  What's Tom Clancy about it?

Nothing

Does it have a gripping story?  Not from what I played, probably somewhere around 2 to 3 hours, maybe it gets better later on, but I found it utterly forgettable.  Does it have interesting characters?  I didn't encounter a single memorable character.  The gunplay is fine but the combat is repetitive and tedious.  Kill a bunch of guys in hoodies, kill a bunch more guys in hoodies, fight a super bullet sponge boss, kill some more guys in hoodies, lather, rinse, repeat.  That was one of the things that made me hate Borderlands, how bullet spongey enemies, particularly bosses, were.  But, at least Borderlands had bosses that were different and fought differently than regular enemies.  In The Division bosses are just regular enemies that take way more bullets to kill.  It's super weak sauce.  The dark zone also feels pretty pointless. 

I guess I'm just not cut out for these kinds of looter shooter games, because I haven't found one that I don't hate yet.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Keyrock: That pretty much sums up my take on Borderlands as well. I tried playing it over at a friend's, and it was not for me.

Gfted1: Oh, and the dynamite. It respawns after each session, so just exit to Main Menu, and then rinse and repeat. The Staunton Mine just west of the Arkovia Foothills rift gate, always contains two now, it seems. After the latest patch, dynamite is pretty easy to come by, even bar crafting.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I guess I'm just not cut out for these kinds of looter shooter games, because I haven't found one that I don't hate yet.

This is me. I've never liked shooter looters. My enjoyment of any game that focuses that heavily on loot (even with my recent arpg kick) is limited.

Huh, I gotta say the story and atmosphere is the reason I'm playing Division, not the loot.  Investigating echoes, moving through contamination zones, helping out people in need, saving the green guys from the hoodie guys, listening to cell phones...etc.  I feel like I'm playing a different game, I guess.

I actually feel bad gunning down the thugs though.  The flamethrower guys, now those I feel good about.  Particularly when I hit their tanks and they explode.  Of course, I watched the little Amazon Prime movie ahead of time, and those guys are pretty big jerks. 

Level 35 now in Grim Dawn. My build is a total soup sandwich but its working so far. :lol:

A couple of questions: how often will the dynamite respawn in the various mines? Is there a place to farm Tainted Brain Matter? I think Ive only found it in two chests (which had to be blown open) but are there any mooks that drop it?

To narrow things down a bit, rare crafting materials have a chance to drop from their associated enemy class. Tainted brain matter drops from aetherial corruptions, Blood of Ch'Thon from ch'thonic creatures, Ancient Heart from beasts and manticore eyes from, eh, well, manticores. At least as far as I have heard, those things are apparently all born blind for all the chance you have to get one, and it sure doesn't help that manticores are not very plentiful and can easily kill you if you show up unprepared.

After the recent patch treasure troves (the dynamite chests) can drop them too and dismantling epic 40+ loot gives more than a decent chance to get some. I got more rare crafting materials from dismantling useless epics than I got from hours of farming. Especially those bloody eyes.

While Staunton Mine has a guaranteed dynamite in there I think if you can clear Cronley's Hideout fast enough it's the better alternative. The mobs can drop it too, and I've seen Moneybag drop two of them and most of the other enemies can drop them. Not to mention that you can generally reap a handful of epics to dismantle from all the hero and boss spawns in there. I've had runs in Conley's that yielded 5 dynamites and 4+ epics to use them on.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Grim Dawn question:

How are abilities that do untyped "elemental damage" supposed to work? Will it scale with anything that adds to damage of any element? What resists against it?

yeah i was wondering it myself, i guess its lighning/fire/cold

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Grim Dawn question:

How are abilities that do untyped "elemental damage" supposed to work? Will it scale with anything that adds to damage of any element? What resists against it?

yeah i was wondering it myself, i guess its lighning/fire/cold

Just tested with the Soldier ability that coverts some of Cadence's damage into elemental, and it seems to deal damage split across those three types. I wonder why they didn't make things clearer.

Still Destiny.  Got my Titan up to level 39.  Only one more level to go before I can give him some of the good gear I've got for my other two characters, and replace all his crappy green and blue gear he's currently got equipped.

After that, I might actually give the Division a go.