What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

From Timothy Zahn's social media...

I hear there's some news this morning ...

Yes, it is indeed true: Grand Admiral Thrawn is going to appear in Season 3 of Star Wars: Rebels, *and* I'm writing a new book about him. Here's a link to the Star Wars Books announcement, and there will be a short Q&A up on starwars.com very soon.

I'm afraid there's nothing else I can say right now, except to thank you all for your support and enthusiasm. I'm very excited by all of this, and I hope you'll be pleased at Thrawn's retur...n to the GFFA.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I worked as creature technician on Stranger Things, hope enough people stream so I can get some season 2 work

You did good.
  • Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Watching Robin of Sherwood, the old '80s HTV series, Clannad soundtrack, great cast, lovely English countryside, not much to be criticised other than some period inaccuracies that are easily overlooked.

Wonder if something like this might be made again, with the increasing quality of television and the success of Game of Thrones it seems possible, but I have the nagging suspicion that it would be ruined and made into a blunt tool for some modern message.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

That's a pretty safe bet- the recent BBC Robin Hood was not great. It had some lol SJW tropes such as Tuck being black, the Nasir (? too long since I saw 80s RH) equivalent was an arab girl and the lead was just too weedy to be convincing; but they weren't actually the worst thing about it.

On the other hand, Keith Allan as the sheriff was inspired in his scenery chewing (not quite as awesome as he was in 'Bodies', but close) and while Richard Armitage wasn't as good as previous Guy he did a good job.

• Like 1

Most recent Robin Hood series is from 10 years ago, no?

80s Robin Hood went down the drain when dark haired Robin got replaced by blonde one, IIRC.

Edited by HoonDing
  • Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I totally missed the latest adaptation it seems, though the scenery chewing of the Sheriff remains a constant by the sounds of it, Nicholas Grace is brilliantly venomous and snide in the 80s version. Real shame about young Mr Connery being so underwhelming, the acorn fell quite far from the tree there it seems?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

First pic of the bbc's new adaption of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

DirkGently.jpg?fit=740%2C494&type=vertic

I'll be curious to see how this time around it pans out, the previous attempt a few years ago ran afoul of a  few things.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Maybe someone with more Preacher knowledge can help me out here. I dont think its a spoiler but I'll tag it just in case:

In every episode there seems to be two Easter Eggs, for lack of a better term. The first is that every episode will show a brief shot of the school mascot in the background of a scane or milling about. The second is that Tulip lives with someone who is passed out 100% of the time. What are these scenes nods to in the original story?

Maybe someone with more Preacher knowledge can help me out here. I dont think its a spoiler but I'll tag it just in case:

In every episode there seems to be two Easter Eggs, for lack of a better term. The first is that every episode will show a brief shot of the school mascot in the background of a scane or milling about. The second is that Tulip lives with someone who is passed out 100% of the time. What are these scenes nods to in the original story?

In the book they were on the road pretty much 100% of the time after Jesse meets Cas so it never showed Tulip living with anyone.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

First three episodes of Dark Matter.

I might be mistaken but the set looks much better than in Season. Also, the joke with Three's gun was priceless. I'm wondering if they can keep up with the breakneck pace though. Sure looks like they're firing all their shots off right at the start.

About the death of One I'm a bit torn. Obviously he's the character the audience isn't going to miss all that much (me included), he has served his purpose in mellowing Two, Three and Four (and, in a way, in bringing Six back, I guess) and with Marc Bendavid playing both One and Jace Corso there's always the chance for the actor to come back.

From a writer's point of view it was a great way to add some drama and future conflict to the show, and if push comes to shove they can re-create Derrick Moss from the personality backup on the computer. No one ever stated how long he has infiltrated the Raza. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I just hope Dr. Strange has a cameo in the Defenders. He is the one who traditionally assembles the Defenders even if he doesn't stay on the team for long.

• Like 2

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just finished watching Wolf Hall, its  a very good 6 part historical series ....its grows on you so dont get put off after the first 30 minutes :)

Already seen The Man in the High Castle when it was released + read the book years ago. It's p.cool.

Haven't heard of Wolf Hall yet, will check it out.I 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ooh the Defenders...is the Silver Surfer making an appearance perchance?

Mr Rand should really never grow bumfluff a beard, and Powerman needs his afro and chain belt back!

Tea for the teapot!

Silver Surfer is at FOX so, not in the NETFLIX series.  Namor's rights are complicated (but no longer at Universal) and he's not in it either.  Neither is Doctor "I have a movie coming out in November" Strange.

The line-up ends up being more HEROES FOR HIRE than DEFENDERS.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

They have to have Mr Banner though surely? If not then I shall be in high dudgeon!

Tea for the teapot!

Prepare yourself to be in a high dudgeon, then, Hulk is wandering the nine realms in next years Thor: Ragnarok, so also unavailable.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There has been a lot of different Defenders teams, but the one constant was Dr Strange was the one assembling them. They can put whoever they want on the team as long as Dr Strange is involved in their creation. 2 minute cameo is all he needs.

Devastatorsig.jpg

2 minute cameo is all he needs.

According to Mrs Strange.

• Like 3

Tea for the teapot!

My body is ready

...mostly

first comic book we ever owned were power man.  am not actual a big comic book fan, but we do wax nostalgic 'bout luke cage.

first action figure we ever owned were falcon, but am gonna be honest that we only got it 'cause we thought the redwing accessory made falcon cool.  w/o redwing, sam wilson in the movies doesn't inspire the same kinda nostalgia that does luke cage.  

give us a break.  we were seven or eight when we got the comics and the action figure.

HA! Good Fun!

ps second comic we got were captain marvel #33... which our mother threw away years later when we started living with our parents.  and you wonder why Gromnir is seeming so angry all the time? 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There has been a lot of different Defenders teams, but the one constant was Dr Strange was the one assembling them. They can put whoever they want on the team as long as Dr Strange is involved in their creation. 2 minute cameo is all he needs.

The New Defenders were formed by The Beast.  That one formed after Dr. Strange, Hulk, Namor and Silver Surfer have to stop being The Defenders or else cause the destruction of the world. The Last Defenders were formed by Nighthawk (initially with Tony Stark as part of the 50 State Initiative, later without Stark or government approval). The Fearless Defenders were formed by Valkyrie (but it was really more of a spin-off of the FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS mini, than a continuation of previous Defenders stuff).

So there is precedence for non-Strange formed teams.