What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

I bought all the B5 seasons, watched the first 1 and a half, then met my GF who wanted to binge Buffy, Angel, Docotr Who and Supernatural and I just never got back to it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

^What can I say, seeing the edited down pilot on broadcast syndication really, really turned me off the series.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I have to say one thing on Babylon Five, how refreshing to see starships that are not designed to be aerodynamic, a small niggle i've had with most sci fi for the longest time.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I have to say one thing on Babylon Five, how refreshing to see starships that are not designed to be aerodynamic, a small niggle i've had with most sci fi for the longest time.

B5 won props from Nasa for the design of the Star Fury, both for the practical engineering in the thought of its design as well as how they portrayed the fighters working in space.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Thus far the ship designs in The Expanse have looked pretty decent. Somebody forgot to tell them about the whole "sounds in space" though; it's completely immersion breaking.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Lucifer

Last night was the pilot and at first look seems to be kind of like Castle, except they replace a witty author with the witty ruler of hell, and crime solving hijinks ensues. Its "ok", Ill give it a few more episodes to see if it grabs me.

Its interesting how they've changed the actor playing the ex-husband from the original pre-air pilot. Seeing that slight editing done for each scene he was in.

The guy playing Lucifer seems to nail the role quite well, and I get the feeling it might become one to watch more for his dialogue and interaction than anything going on with actual plot lines.

The X Files seems sadly lacking. It's watchable and competent. But...

I mean, it's nice and all to see Anderson and Duchovny together again and slipping into their roles, but it's coming across as a very 90's show rather than post 2010.

Where is the update of the conspiracy? Why is it the same tired old stuff that it was when it should be fresh and new and with post 9/11 twists?

Why isn't Mulder bemoaning the smart phone and gps tracking? They throw a mention of Uber but nada about personal data and security breaches? There doesn't seem to be any depth to any of the throw away references and by now everybody is used to the 9/11 Truthers, so why isn't Mulder better than this?

Edited by Raithe

^It is my understanding that they have updated the conspiracy (its not really aliens, its the government using alien tech whereas the original series it seemed it was aliens, competing groups of them working with different parts of the government or alone); Mulder has been underground so long I think he's no longer on the cutting edge of the conspiracy theories (as evidenced by the guy int he first episode)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Eh, you have Mulder's "wait, its not a conspiracy working with Aliens, it's a conspiracy of Humans using Alien tech".

But I guess what I mean is, they haven't really modernised any of it yet. Not in a sense of making what is being done or how it's being done. You'd expect more about the use of internet/social media and post 9/11 surveillance. Beyond that single change, its' still the same old conspiracy that was there in the 90's. The Men in Black rolling up in the last five minutes to hoover up evidence.

Lucifer

Last night was the pilot and at first look seems to be kind of like Castle, except they replace a witty author with the witty ruler of hell, and crime solving hijinks ensues. Its "ok", Ill give it a few more episodes to see if it grabs me.

Its interesting how they've changed the actor playing the ex-husband from the original pre-air pilot. Seeing that slight editing done for each scene he was in.

The guy playing Lucifer seems to nail the role quite well, and I get the feeling it might become one to watch more for his dialogue and interaction than anything going on with actual plot lines.

Like Sleepy Hollow. Ichabod and his disappointment in the future is the main reason I watch.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I didn't like the first episode of X-Files. Absolutely no detective work or discovery of any kind. Someone just comes and says "it's humans not aliens who do all the abducting" and Mulder just goes with it. I was glad to see Scully telling how stupid Mulder was.

The second episode was much better.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Legends of Tomorrow second episode kinda derped out, so I switched over to You, Me and the Apocalypse and it was better. Felt more genuine than anything this week. Supergirl was fun, and Agent Carter.

Bonkers show of the week was Filthy Cities on PBS ... nineteenth-century New York City ... no sanitation, tenement buildings with twelve people per room, no bathrooms, no running water, filth and dead horses and dead, diseased people in the streets frozen solid up to three meters thick in winter, rotting pig heads ground into sausage and dyed red to resemble fresh meat ... lord have mercy. 

All Stop. On Screen.

The second season of Lucha Underground started on Wednesday.  The first season was, no hyperbole, the single best season of a wrestling show I have ever seen.  It was amazing, not just the wrestling itself, but the production and the storylines and characters.  A ninja skeleton that breaks arms for his dark master, an actual dragon, a biker who started out as a jobber and grew into a cult hero, a teleporting succubus? sorceress? ghost? who can summon skeletons, and the lucha libre personification of death itself, just to name a few.  The first season was so ridiculously good that I was momentarily slightly worried that season 2 would be a letdown, that they had blown their wad on season 1.  I mean, how do you possibly follow up a season as good as that?  Then season 2 starts with Vampiro in some kind of secret mental facility in the middle of the desert trying to get his release while fantasizing about murdering his interviewer and drinking his blood.  Cut to The Temple where Mil Muertes is sitting up high watching over the crowd and the ring while sitting in a skull throne.  A MOTHER****ING SKULL THRONE (I cannot possibly bold or capitalize that enough).  And the show just got better and better from there.

CZwFdpyWEAAQenk.jpg

Behold the unfathomable badassery.  Bask in its glory.

Lucha Underground, I'm so sorry I ever doubted you for even a second. :blush:  It's so good to have you back in my life.  :wub:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Snart is a riot, his attitude delivery is the best. And the parka. 

I feel bad for not finishing the LoT episode ... every review I've seen says it was good, weird, exciting, goofy, and/or amazing. 

I'm sure maybe I'm watching it wrong. The Time Master character, though, ugh ...

All Stop. On Screen.