What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

Captain Cold is amazing. Apparently men find his overacting hilarious and women find it super annoying.

Does your SO watch with you? My wife wouldn't even give it a glance.

She does, and so does my brother's wife and my friend's SO. Maybe you need to rethink your chosen female. ;)

Missus wont watch The Flash either. :( Although shes on board with Lucifer so far.

Mine hasn't watched Arrow and I don't think she's going to like The Flash but she likes AGENTS of Shield, Agent Carter, and Gotham.   FWIW, she thinks Lucifer is terrible.

Missus wont watch The Flash either. :( Although shes on board with Lucifer so far.

Mine hasn't watched Arrow and I don't think she's going to like The Flash but she likes AGENTS of Shield, Agent Carter, and Gotham.   FWIW, she thinks Lucifer is terrible.

can't figure out why women would hate lucifer. oh sure, the male protagonist is an unapologetic womanizer who is only interested in the female lead 'because she is immune to his charms. and yeah perhaps female audiences might be offended that lucifer's superpower (in addition to immortality) is that people reveal their innermost desires and secrets in his presence, and apparently, all women (save the aforementioned lead) desire lucifer to a comical degree such that they would willingly ignore all common sense or ethical responsibility just to have the chance to do the nasty with the fallen angel. maybe women would be less bothered if the female lead weren't a cliché: the no-nonsense single mother and cop who manages to look like a supermodel in every scene and claims to be annoyed by the womanizing male lead.

that being said, if lucifer were tortured and damaged, avoiding all meaningful human contact until the doe-eyed female protagonist manages give him a reason to live, we bet your wives would absolute love the show.

HA! Good Fun!

ps if Gromnir were lucifer, we would be mighty cheesed off.  in the bible, lucifer is the daystar.  is only one mention o' lucifer in whole bible and not even in all translation. gotta stretch to make sinister. at some point in middle ages, folks began reading lucifer=satan.  what the hell?  talk 'bout bad press.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Saw Magicians, Lucifer, and X-Files over the weekend. My wife and I both hated Magicians a lot but we managed to slog through the first 2 episodes and I can safely say we won't be watching anymore of that. Lucifer I liked more than my wife but it was still a paint by the numbers buddy copy show with special partner. X-Files is a bit more complicated because it did some things that I liked and also some things I felt were pretty dumb. I'll stick with it though since I (want to) believe it's a short series.

Free games updated 3/4/21

can't figure out why women would hate lucifer. ........

If you knew her in RL you could ask her directly instead of theorizing about the reasons; but you don't.    If you like the show, fine.  She doesn't.  Neither do I.  End of discussion. 

can't figure out why women would hate lucifer. ........

If you knew her in RL you could ask her directly instead of theorizing about the reasons; but you don't.    If you like the show, fine.  She doesn't.  Neither do I.  End of discussion. 

end o' discussion?  HA!  thanks.

we don't like lucifer.  so?  

*shrug*

and no, we ain't theorizing 'bout your significant other.  we noted Gromnir's lack o' surprise that women would dislike lucifer.  we got no idea what prompted your SO's dislike and in light o' your most recent comments, we don't s'pose we wish to know more. we made a generalization based on feedback we has received from other women regarding lucifer.  

am not sure what got your shorts in a twist.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

For me it's about lack of suspense in Lucifer. He's immortal and can make people spill out their secrets. Of course he's going to catch the killer and he wont be in any danger while doing it.

I'm still going to watch few episodes of it just to see if the writers somehow manage to add suspense to it.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

For me it's about lack of suspense in Lucifer. He's immortal and can make people spill out their secrets. Of course he's going to catch the killer and he wont be in any danger while doing it.

I'm still going to watch few episodes of it just to see if the writers somehow manage to add suspense to it.

From what I understand this is going to be a two-pronged thing, first I've heard mention that in some form or another Lucifer is going to start "catching" mortality or some such, and two, Amenidiel (the angry angel dude) is going to be manipulating things as a way of pressuring/forcing Lucifer back to Hell.

But I think a lot of people are just going to watch it to see how amusingly snarky/smarmy Lucifer gets rather than any actual plot strengths.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watching Babylon Five and i'm continually surprised that Mr Sinclair doesn't slap Ambassador Kosh in the midst of one of his cryptic pronouncements, the good Lord save us from the condescension of better than thou know it alls.

Edit: Londo and G'Kar, a match made in hell.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Watching Babylon Five and i'm continually surprised that Mr Sinclair doesn't slap Ambassador Kosh in the midst of one of his cryptic pronouncements, the good Lord save us from the condescension of better than thou know it alls.

Just keep watching ;)

• Like 3

Dunno, if Nonek is triggered by the condescension of holier than thou S1 Kosh he might be better off not watching.

Since there's a lot of holier than though pontification to come, S4 is basically nothing but redacted being holier than thou which is precisely what I ended up loathing about later B5.

Spoilered for caution.

Dunno, if Nonek is triggered by the condescension of holier than thou S1 Kosh he might be better off not watching.

But seriously, it's worth it for G'Kar and Londo over that whole arc. Plus while some characters get to deliver lines that are oh-so overblown and space opera camp in some ways, they are also utterly brilliant with the delivery.

"No boom today? Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

"Would you prefer to be conscious or unconscious during the mating? I would prefer conscious, but I don't know what your .. pleasure threshold is."

"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?"

"The last time I gave an interview they told me to just relax and say what I really felt. Ten minutes after the broadcast I got transferred to an outpost so far off the starmaps you couldn't find it with a hunting dog and an ouiji board."

"Don't sweat it. Just be that charming, effervescent commander we've all come to know and love. What's the worst that could happen? They fire you, ship you off to the Rim and I get promoted to Commander. I don't see a problem here."

"No. We have to stay here and there's a simple reason why. Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe and Lao-Tzu, Einstein, Morobuto, Buddy Holly, Aristophanes .. and all of this .. all of this was for nothing unless we go to the stars."

"With luck, they may never find you, but if they do, you will know pain .."

".. and you will know fear .."

".. and then you will die. Have a pleasant flight."

"Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out. [sigh] Civilians. [Looking up] Just kidding about the God part -- no offense."

"No regrets then?"

"A few. But just a few. You?"

"Oh, enough to fill a lifetime. So much has been lost, so much forgotten. So much pain, so much blood. And for what, I wonder. The past tempts us, the present confuses us, and the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast terrible inbetween. But there is still time to seize that one last fragile moment. To choose something better, to make a difference, as you say. And I intend to do just that."

"I apologize. I'm .. sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell. .. As with everything else, it's the thought that counts."

"So, Doctor, who died?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Among my people this is how we celebrate state funerals. Our marriage ceremonies are solemn, sober, moments of reflection, also regret, disagreement, argument and mutual recrimination. Once you know it can't get any worse you can relax and enjoy the marriage. But to start with something like this.. No, it is a very bad sign for the future."

• Like 1

The third episode of the new X-Files was great. It may be one of my favorite episodes ever even though I've probably forgotten as many episodes as I remember at this point.

Spent some time trying to reason out exactly what I hate about Magicians so much but then realized I had better things to do

Free games updated 3/4/21

Nonek, did you watch 'The Gathering' before Season 1? For some reason, they leave it off the Season 1 box set but it's the pilot of the show that was aired back in 1993 and Season 1 started in 1994.

• Like 1

The third episode of the new X-Files was great. It may be one of my favorite episodes ever even though I've probably forgotten as many episodes as I remember at this point.

Spent some time trying to reason out exactly what I hate about Magicians so much but then realized I had better things to do

I loved the third episode of X-Files. It was a great X-Files episodes - no qualifiers. Had some great callbacks too (like Scully's joking she's immortal which is a callback to the Peter Boyle episode where when she asks how she dies he says she doesn't).

And of course the visual nod to Kolchak, the Night Stalker.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Nonek, did you watch 'The Gathering' before Season 1? For some reason, they leave it off the Season 1 box set but it's the pilot of the show that was aired back in 1993 and Season 1 started in 1994.

Fiddlesticks! I thought I was beginning at the beginning as Dickens suggests, i'll have to stop watching the series until i've seen that now, the slightly autistic side of me will allow nothing else. Thank you for the notification however, i'm enjoying this series rather too much i'd say, quite enthralled.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Fiddlesticks! I thought I was beginning at the beginning as Dickens suggests, i'll have to stop watching the series until i've seen that now, the slightly autistic side of me will allow nothing else. Thank you for the notification however, i'm enjoying this series rather too much i'd say, quite enthralled.

The Gathering was done as a "pre-pilot" kind of thing to check for interest and it's more of a tv-movie. It's actually set a year before season 1 starts and covers the station finally going "fully" online with the Ambassadors all arriving. They changed some of the cast between that and season 1, and there are plot reasons given in season 1 - possibly odd notes you'll have discovered by now.

One thing to note is that some of the special effects, makeup and costuming are slightly different. The Minbari are noticeably a lot more "alien" looking in The Gathering than they decided to go with. However, it really does establish some of the characters. Plus, just "beep beep" for the ending. :shifty:

• Like 1

I highly suggest watching the Gathering before continuing. I did the same when I first watched Season 1 all those years ago and I remember characters referring to events that I hadn't seen before. It was a little confusing and when I looked on the internet, I was like 'damn, I've missed the pilot'. And there's some really important story elements that set up the series. Once you watch the pilot, a lot of things will make sense. Sinclair, Garibaldi, Kosh, Delenn, G'Kar, Londo are all in it and establishes their characters.

For some reason they leave it off the Season 1 box set but it really should be part of it as a pre-season pilot episode for this very thing with people not knowing there's a missing episode.

• Like 1

I've been watching the Chelsea Handler Netflix series, and it is pretty good.  Not really a comedy, more of a different perspective on certain topics.  It has some funny moments, but it also depicts this kind of sad struggle that Chelsea Handler has.  It's more thoughtful than expected, really.  She's an interesting character.