What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

"New episode of Supergirl. bets one yet but one dissapointing  evil sexist piece of crap scene. Where they are bragging that Grant hires 90% of her senior bosses are women. How is that being celebrated but when men do it is evil, sexist, and wrong? LMAO That is what feminism SJWs are all about; LMAO HYpocrisy at the highest level."

I meant to put this dumb post in this dumb thread not the other dumb thread. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Incoherent plot made more disjointed by lots of different groups with little to no reason to care about any of them- with the exception of Noah Bennett- which consequently made it very difficult to follow the plot or care about the characters.

I think this is probably why I'm not liking it.  It just seems so incoherent, and often times, it feels as though nothing actually ever happens during an episode.  It reminds me a bit of people who talk a lot, but don't really have anything interesting to say.  They just talk for the sake of being heard.

• Like 2

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I started watching Billions, its got  several prominent actors including the lead actor from Life, Damian Lewis

The show is really good and focuses on the illegal practices that the financial sector in the USA is sometimes involved in 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billions_(TV_series)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Heroes reboot had largely the same flaws the latter seasons had. Incoherent plot made more disjointed by lots of different groups with little to no reason to care about any of them- with the exception of Noah Bennett- which consequently made it very difficult to follow the plot or care about the characters. It even has the exact same super power problems (inflation/ deflation depending on plot requirement) and to an extent at least the same senseless heel/ face turns as the original series, albeit not to the contortionate extremes they went to with Sylar.

I've actually still found it fairly enjoyable despite its flaws, but it should have been far far better than what we got and I cannot blame anyone for rolling their eyes at it.

This is a good post, for ages I have been wondering why Heroes Reborn was really grabbing me...but I still watched

I find in entertaining but yes now that you mention it there are too many disparate groups for you care about too much

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Second Chance.

I was mildly curious about this, and took the plunge. Watched the first two episodes and they've kind of caught me up.  In many ways it seems to be riffing off the old show "Now and Again" in the general premise. Aging man gets killed and someone restores him to life in a body that's superior to normal, and shenanigans ensue.

This time around it's an aging and forcibly retired Sherrif (who was corrupt, but never for himself, only to get the bad guys) gets killed because his FBI son is investigating the wrong thing. A private corporation run by a prodigy brother and his sister use Mad Science! to restore him to life in an attempt to develop a cancer cure for the sister. He then promptly gets involved in tracking down his murderers while dealing with the situation, and so on.

Tim DeKay turns up as the FBI son (I guess he got used to playing the FBI in White Collar), and the rest of the cast seem fairly competent at what they're doing.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So, Heroes Reborn's finale was as dumb as the rest of the series.  I hate those "video game" moments, and of course, the finale had to feature that particular storyline prominently.

And of course it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, despite the fact that by all accounts, it was a one season-and-done.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Watched Legends of Tomorrow.

Spent more time pointing out continuity references to others than paying attention to the story. I think I watched it wrong.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A just and humane outcome, methinks with Heroes Reborn being cancelled. Leave superheroes to the experts (Marvel & DC), Mr Kring!

Yeah, thats no surprise it was cancelled 

John Milton 

I haven't watched Heroes since the end of the first season.  Didn't see any reason to return on the reboot but I hoped it'd be good for the people who had liked the show.

Heroes Reborn is really Season 5 but set a few years later as they refer to events in previous seasons as well as the Season 4 finale. Also, a few characters (actors) do return from the original series. But like the previous seasons, the quality declined and this was no exception to Heroes Reborn.

If anything, it did put closure on the Season 4 finale and finishes off the original series.

Steven Moffat will leave Dr Who after its next season (2017, no non Xmas episodes for 2016) being replaced by Broadchurch's Chris Chibnall. I do hope Moffat stays around as an episode writer, he had major flaws as a show runner due to his tendency to hand wave more than a gaggle of Queen Liz impersonators at a street parade but they were largely masked in his standalones. Not that keen on Chibnall as a show runner, Broadchurch S1 was decent enough but his standalone episodes for Dr Who have been average. Having said that there really isn't an obvious successor this time around.

Can't say I'm surprised; I think Moffat has done some good stuff as a showrunner but the finale to Season 8 (as far as I've gotten at the moment) was a disaster of jumbled together concepts that was never really brought together in a way that made it seem like his vision for the series was flagging.

Might be unfair to say that because I dunno how Season 9 has turned out, but Season 8 really made me think that maybe Moffat was out of gas.

I can't say I'll judge Chibnall as showrunner based on episodes he's written (and not having seen Broadchurch, a bit hard to judge off of that) as showrunning is a bit different in the skillset dept.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

After finishing Star Trek: Deep Space Nine I was on the lookout for something similar and Mrs Nonek found a series called Babylon Five, so far i'm quite impressed, it takes itself a little too seriously but the situation and setting is I hesitate to say a little more interesting than the DS9 one. Whether that pays off or not is another thing of course.

The special effects are either terrible or fantastic, of very mixed quality.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Seriously B5 is worth the long watch.  The one thing that you should be aware of, is that it seriously is a multi season arc to the story. The unfortunate side is that when they got told that they wouldn't get the 5th year to wrap things up, the creators and writers struggled to compress two years of story into one season... and then after shooting it they got told they were actually getting a 5th year. So they had to stretch out a few things and do some "post story" consequences and what happens now. The final year had a lot of interesting concepts and a nice approach, but still didn't quite match up to the earlier stuff.

The character evolution on so many of the characters are brilliantly done.   (key note: G'kar and Londo.  Plus, the ambassadorial aides Vir and Lenier).  Ivanova and Garibaldi also get a lot of really well delivered lines, with that amusingly sarcastic bite.

They do poke fun at themselves a few times, but try to do that serious issues with a foot in the slightly campy-sci-fi area.

While the sfx and cgi can be a bit ropey by todays standards, they actually helped establish a lot of the techniques of how to achieve quality sci-fi sfx on a minimal budget that actually got translated later to how films achieved thing. - Random Film/TV production trivia.

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Thank you Raithe, much obliged, also may I just say Talia Winters...ding dong.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I've started watching Psych too.  It is fun - the only episode I'd seen before was the pilot which is longer than normal and got edited down on the syndicated version.  Watching the uncut version I realize why it felt like so much was missing.

Weirdly in a month or two I'm going to start watching Babylon 5 too for the first time like Nonek.

• Like 2

I rewatched B5 a month or so ago so will be interested in any reactions. It's a series I should theoretically love and did for a bit, but I ended up disliking it enough that I never finished watching its initial run and struggled to finish the rewatch.

I had a similar reaction to BSG (remake) for that matter.