What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

Well, the X-Files has wrapped up. The more I think about it, the more I realise there wasn't enough episodes. From the old seasons, there were usually a half dozen episodes that dealt with the mythology throughout each season and the rest of the season had Monster of the week episodes that filled in the rest.

The mythology story for this season comes across as being told in about the same number of episodes (half a dozen) but was squashed into two: My Struggle and My Struggle II. While I liked the content, it would have been better presented over more episodes. The season should have been in the range of 13 episodes at the very least. But with the actors being older now and with other commitments, that may have been harder to do.

I thought the finale a bit duff, but I thought My Struggle I was the weakest of the reboot, so not surprising the second part was a bit of a muddle.

Still I'd watch a Series 11.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I thought the finale a bit duff, but I thought My Struggle I was the weakest of the reboot, so not surprising the second part was a bit of a muddle.

Still I'd watch a Series 11.

I thought Babylon was the worst. Could barely watch it to the end - kept telling myself "it's basically almost over", but it was so cringeworthy and nonsensical I wish I had just stopped.

In regards to the image, I don't know anything about Supernatural, but the rest is spot on. :p

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hey, that kind of nonsense can be perfectly good fun. It just has to, you know, be backed up by the other elements of the show actually being good. :p Like I said, I don't know anything about Supernatural, so I can't really comment on this specific case...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

To be fair, Supernatural is one of those where the cast have a great chemistry, and the dialogue can have that right sort of inner-smirk, tongue-in-cheek camp awareness while they have fun being silly about the seriousness.

On the downside, it was kind of geared around a storyline that culminated around the..5th or 6th season? I can't remember exactly, and was meant to end there. However due to the sheer amount of fans, they've kept it going and kind of gotten into that habit of introducing some variations of bigger, bad each season.  Although I will admit, I have the last..3 seasons I think stacked up to watch at some point because I haven't bee keeping up.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The seasons after 5 have their ups and downs, season 10 was terrible, but season 11 has been good so far

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I thought Babylon was the worst. Could barely watch it to the end - kept telling myself "it's basically almost over", but it was so cringeworthy and nonsensical I wish I had just stopped.

I thought Babylon was muddled. I liked parts of it but others weren't so good. And the Lone Gunmen cameo was an utter waste.

It didn't really come together -:but I still enjoyed it more than My Struggle part 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My Struggle I was just kinda boring and bad, but it wasn't "make-me-want-to-leave-the-room" bad like Babylon felt. :p

Watched Fuller House for like 4 hours. It's definitely a worthy successor to Full House. Cheesy, family friendly, and full of cameos

Devastatorsig.jpg

Agent Carter - Season 1. Heard it was good and decided to check it out. Glad I did. It's kind of like a sequel to the first Captain America movie but set in the 1940-1950s as you see what happens afterwards. Two different stories playing out after the movie with the TV show showing the past as well as the new movies showing the present. I really like that.

Intruders Interesting series by Glen Morgan, writer from the X-Files. First couple of episodes started off slow but by the middle it turned around. Cancelled after one season but still enjoyed it.

Eleventh Hour (UK) with Patrick Stewart. Only four episodes but quite good and always good to see Patrick Stewart. There is a U.S. remake made a couple of years later with Rufus Sewell which I haven't seen, but will check it out some time to compare it to the original UK version.

Finished rewatching Kindred: the Embraced after 20 years or so.

Acting is absolutely horrible, aside from main character and the Nosferatu primogen.

Pity though it never continued.

Ventrue dude died in a car crash I think. Since he was the main character they didn't bother. At least thats what I heard

Devastatorsig.jpg

Acting is absolutely horrible, aside from main character and the Nosferatu primogen.

Ventrue dude died in a car crash I think. Since he was the main character they didn't bother. At least thats what I heard

Never seen it. Back in the late nineties on a whim, I ended up going on a quest to find the dvd set. Must've hit atleast 5 video stores. None had it. 

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

For the sad news that might have gotten missed in the whole Oscar fallout..

Frank Kelly, the actor who played Father Jack died today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-35682191

18 years to the day that actor who played Father Ted passed.

• Like 1

Forever. Damn, that was a pretty good show. Sort of a mash up with Highlander, Elementary and Castle. Pity it was cancelled after one season but it sort of finishes at the end of the season anyway. No real cliffhangers which is good.

It was a good show, they had that nice arc to the first season that as you said did kind of wrap up. They did leave a few things hanging and open for the 2nd season to pick up, but alas, we won't see it.

It was actually a slight flip around of a show called  New Amsterdam a few years back, an immortal who ends up a homicide detective who worked with a medical doctor..

Anyhewt, it's kind of interesting how many series these days seem to involve some variation of an Englishman with strange powers teaming up with an attractive American cop and saving lives in a quirky manner.   Forever, Sleepy Hollow, Elementary, Lucifer...

• Like 1

Mark Frankel died in a motercycle accident.  Since he was the one universally agreed positive of the show, and the producers felt they couldn't replace him or that character, it was decided not to continue, IIRC.

For the sad news that might have gotten missed in the whole Oscar fallout..

Frank Kelly, the actor who played Father Jack died today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-35682191

18 years to the day that actor who played Father Ted passed.

Fek!

Pardon my Gaelic.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Just watched the final episode of Suits in the latest season...all I can say is it was hectic and brilliant 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela