What's on the idiot box?

Blarghagh

Watched like 6 hours of Gravity Falls today. Disney XD is having a massive marathon until monday night when they air the series finale. Airing the entire series 4 times. Its extremely good. Supposedly the creator went in trying to do a cartoon aimed at 30 year olds, and was surprised how many kids got into it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Stan Lee's Lucky Man.

Sky got Stan to develop a show for the British side of things. Set in London, James Nesbitt as one of those sparkling, but slightly dodgy cops (with a bad gambling habit) and a flair for solving crimes. Somehow ends up with a mysterious bracelet on his wrist he can't get off, but apparently it has a wonderful yin/yang approach to bringing its wearer luck.

Add in that slightly more British grittiness and lack of outright optimism that most superheroes have in some way, senior police offices considering he might be corrupt, and some form of potential conspiracy trying to recover the bracelet. Oh yes, and of course, the obligatory "mysterious woman" who knows more than she's told the hero.

Four episodes into the series and it's having it's interesting moments. Some rough ups and downs, and occasional flashes of mass stupidity as the plot requires, but it's still managing to be somewhat compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVLxIm8oMl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPa5TRsTIoE

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Excellent cast.

I do have a plot complaint. Right from the start it's stated that every time you through the closet portal thingy time resets. Five minutes later James Franco asks with didn't the other guy simply kill Lee Harvey Oswald. "Can't kill innocent man. Must know for sure." But if you kill Lee and JFK doesn't get killed, wouldn't you then know for sure? And if JFK still gets killed simply go through the closet portal and time resets.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

"Super G is killing it. DEO Agent Alex Danvers answers all my questions about women in utilities kicking ass."

It is entertianing but the writing leaves a lot to be desired. Way too much sexism and  hatred and bigotry.  The actors are good. I do agree this past week's episode was fantatsic - largely because  it ha dno Nazi SJWing to bog it down.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Score! Local NBC affiliate acquires new sports analyst, former Dolphins cheerleader MJ Acosta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4VkjhXKHeY

It's exciting because good cadence and perfect skin really make bad headlines seem okay. And her man is in the USMC, so, welcome to SD, MJ.

All Stop. On Screen.

For the amusingly weird tv trivia..

11181782_10153405128983581_9187228776267

Apparently, they had to select the pinks and pastels specifically for how the exact shades of monochrome grey's would come across on the tv after filming.

Finished the first season of Babylon Five, good lord the writers weren't afraid of pushing the narrative were they? The status quo was not just upset but almost destroyed, very refreshing. All told I absolutely loved this first season, high points were probably the nods to Forbidden Planet and the great machine of the Trell, the Ironheart pshychic incident, as well as the overall weirdness and strangeness of the cast and the sense of wonder and mystery that was evoked perfectly. G'kars speech about the ancient aliens that haunt a certain planet was especially well done, and Londos descent into a self orchestrated doom was masterfully plotted.

I really like Commander Sinclair, very understated but quite conflicted, with a little tongue in cheek twinkle in his eyes.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I enjoyed the first season of B5, but it was the weakest. Still it was a good setup and gives the lay of the "land" so to speak.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I have to say I did enjoy Commander Sinclair's run at the start, it gave a nice grounding to the first season. The appearance of the Ambassadorial Aides worked nicely, that mixture of innocence and naivety shown by both Lenier and Vir when they get introduced and when you compare it to what they're like at the end of the show. The whole first season laying the groundwork and establishing where all the characters were starting from, having a good mix of stand alone episodes, season arc episodes, and all having that scattering that you might not realise at first are parts of the entire show arc bits tucked away.

Something that could have been a touch heavy handed, but worked for me was the religious episode - Every Ambassador showing off their dominant religious thing as part of a cultural exchange, Sinclair not sure what to arrange and then ending on that final setup of a line of priests from as many religious groups as he could and just doing that "this is Mr so and so, a catholic priest, this is Mr ... a Shinto priest, this is Mr.. a such and such priest, and that slow camera pull back of this line filling up one entire bay.

Also, the introduction of Mr Bester. Walter Koenig showing what he can do when he actually has more than a single line or two. ;)

Nonek, not to throw in spoilers, but he does make a few more appearances over the years.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magicians_(U.S._TV_series)

Guys trust me this is good, it may start off looking like another " Harry Potter " copy but its compelling and there is a real dark side to the whole series around magic. If you like the whole magic school summoning thing this is for you  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Guys trust me this is good, it may start off looking like another " Harry Potter " copy but its compelling and there is a real dark side to the whole series around magic. If you like the whole magic school summoning thing this is for you :dancing:

We're digging it, but the main character is kind of unlikeable.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Guys trust me this is good, it may start off looking like another " Harry Potter " copy but its compelling and there is a real dark side to the whole series around magic. If you like the whole magic school summoning thing this is for you :dancing:

We're digging it, but the main character is kind of unlikeable.

Yes, he is too diffident but you can see his potential will grow  ...but  his girlfriend who left the school is smoking hot  :fdevil:

She use to be in Chicago PD. I'm glad you enjoying it...I found it by accident 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I enjoyed the first season of B5, but it was the weakest. Still it was a good setup and gives the lay of the "land" so to speak.

You actually liked Season 5? :geek:

Season 5 had its ups and downs. I would say it's the weakest of the bunch, which isn't too surprising given how it all rolled out. It was an interesting way to play out some of the potential loose ends and teasers of what would happen after the five year story arc. Just a shame the five year got crammed into 4 at the last minute, then stretched back to 5.

I will say the episodes that end season four and five are both damn well done. The final show being set 20 years on, and literally ends with the series creator playing the janitor turning off the lights for the last time.

Hm, of course, we should mention to Nonek the made for TV films they did with a word  of warning before his OCD kicks in to watch them all.

While there's the prequel kind of movie , "In the Beginning" which covers the Minbari War and shows what the main series characters were doing, it should not be watched until you've made your way through the tv show. There's heaps of spoilers to the mysteries upcoming.

"Thirdspace" is technically set between the third and fourth season, and is actually slightly Lovecraftian in it's storyline, but actually has a rather sneaky kind of "Right, we shall never talk about this again" thing going, which is why they get away with no referencing it in the last two seasons.

"The River of Souls" was meant to be in the space between B5 ending and the spin-off series Crusade starting, and they got Martin Sheen to turn up as a Soul Hunter for the movie.

"A Call to Arms" is pretty much the pilot movie for the Crusade spin-off.

The one that was both slightly odd, but also rather good in a bizarre way was "The Lost Tales", which is actually more two linked short stories rather than one full length movie. In ways it comes across as Babylon 5 done as Twilight Zone episodes for the stage. Each short story centres around one main character, and is pretty much shot on a single stage / environment.

Apparently JMS is trying to get a reboot Babylon 5 film shot, but with the possibility of bringing in members of the old cast to play different roles.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

Oh man, we hate that show something awful

I pity your souls

What dont you like about the series if you dont mind sharing?

John Milton 

I agree with Raithe. I didn't mind Season 5. It was a good epilogue to the series and explored things they probably wouldn't have had time to get around to. Definitely one of the best endings to a series I've seen. Interesting, the ending of Season 5 was the original ending of Season 4 not knowing if it was going to be renewed, but they reshot the Season 4 finale with another episode.

I also agree that watching the four other movies 'In The Beginning', 'Third Space', River of Souls', and 'A Call to Arms' is better to watch after Season 5. You could watch them in between seasons but I always watch them after. And then onto Crusade. Crusade is another kettle of fish with the episodes being shown out of order. There's some lists on the internet which debate which order they should be seen. Definitely don't watch them in the DVD order.

• Like 1

And then onto Crusade. Crusade is another kettle of fish with the episodes being shown out of order. There's some lists on the internet which debate which order they should be seen. Definitely don't watch them in the DVD order.

Crusade had a few interesting ideas as well, but as you said, it got shown with episodes out of order which didn't help the overall story or feel of it. But the other major weakness I found, was the music. There was something unique and wonderful about Christopher Franke's scoring of Babylon 5 that just captured the mood and atmosphere so well, so when they did Crusade and they got someone else to do the music in such a different way it felt wrong for something in the B5 universe.

Oh man, we hate that show something awful

I pity your souls

What dont you like about the series if you dont mind sharing?

The characters, the main one in particular, are unlikeable and the pacing seems off

I like the girl who got rejected/became a hedge witch. She's the most realistic character, and I'm quite interested in where her character will go now that her fiance had his memory of her wiped.  I agree with the pacing. It seems like its only been a couple weeks, yet the hedge witch girl had advanced her magic enough to get like 7 tattoos, and the main guy has gotten pretty adept at the hand gestures, so it has to have been longer.

Devastatorsig.jpg