What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Finished WoL on Hard, go me. I still suck at SC2 though. Plugging along in Cities:Skylines, my city is full of University graduates that refuse to work in industry, which is annoying.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Soma

I platinumed Steins;Gate and I have no shame about that.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Played through one of the more frustrating missions in MGSV.  Had to knock out a communications center (again, for some reason, since I did this already), but this time I wasn't given any weapons and the encampment was full of heavy infantry so you couldn't even just shoot these guys (too thick of armor).  Add to that, you can't pick the time of day so by the time you infiltrate it's sunny out.

As soon as you're spotted, they never fail to see where you go.  And they've got snipers, heavy infantry, and rocket launchers firing at you from all sides.

Not a fan at all of that mission.  I know they were attempting to do a "difficult" version of a mission you take on earlier in the game, but from a story perspective it makes no sense why you have to do the mission with zero starting gear and can't bring a buddy along.  Absolutely zero sense.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Huh, you would think Kenny would be season 2's Kenny for you.

Yeah but in season one he was some kind of bad choice robot from word go. Nick took on that role in season two and it took a few episodes before Kenny truly got the crazy ball back from him.

Edited by WDeranged

Finished Dragon Age 2. 

Yeah, coherence wasn't a particular strength of that ending.  The characters that I roleplay in Bioware games lately tend to have "I'm sick of this **** always happening to me" outlooks, which left me a little short of companions by the endgame.  At the point where you pick your party for the final push, there's a "what about the rest of us" line that made be laugh a bit, as "the rest of us" was just Varric.

Also, I got an amusing bug in Act 3, in that it failed to recognize the fact that, based on my DAO import, Zevran should have bled to death on the side of the road years ago.  Not really mad about that, though, as his quest earned me the best dagger I found in the game, and DA: Keep should be able fix that if/when I go on to Inquisition. 

Anyhow, with that over, I happened to glance at my Steam library and was reminded that I bought the Grim Fandango re-release/remaster a few months back.  So I've started playing that. 

Edited by Enoch

Played through one of the more frustrating missions in MGSV.  Had to knock out a communications center (again, for some reason, since I did this already), but this time I wasn't given any weapons and the encampment was full of heavy infantry so you couldn't even just shoot these guys (too thick of armor).  Add to that, you can't pick the time of day so by the time you infiltrate it's sunny out.

As soon as you're spotted, they never fail to see where you go.  And they've got snipers, heavy infantry, and rocket launchers firing at you from all sides.

Not a fan at all of that mission.  I know they were attempting to do a "difficult" version of a mission you take on earlier in the game, but from a story perspective it makes no sense why you have to do the mission with zero starting gear and can't bring a buddy along.  Absolutely zero sense.

These type of missions are optional. Chapter 2 is full of that crap. In order to progress with the main story you don't have to do them- you can as well repeat any other mission. Also keep in mind you'll have to listen to all the yellow audio logs (just start them and go to the next works as well if you don't want to bother with going through all of them).

Until chapter 2 I loved the game. Then it went downhill fast.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

For anyone who has played and finished MGSV, am I missing out on a lot of cutscenes/content by not visiting Mother Base after every mission?  I'll only visit like once a play session, which usually means I'll do 3 or 4 missions in the field before returning to MB for a shower.

The reason I ask is because I had two cutscenes start up the past couple of times I returned to MB, and wasn't sure if those were scripted to pop up at that point in the game regardless, or whether I triggered it by returning after a specific amount of completed missions.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

FarCry 4; my OCD is slowing me down, I just have to collect all the useless things in the world before I can progress the story. Final stretches now, liberated 100% of the camps and conquered 100% of the towers, it has been fun but I was hoping for bigger changes compared to the previous installation.

These type of missions are optional. Chapter 2 is full of that crap. In order to progress with the main story you don't have to do them- you can as well repeat any other mission. Also keep in mind you'll have to listen to all the yellow audio logs (just start them and go to the next works as well if you don't want to bother with going through all of them).

Until chapter 2 I loved the game. Then it went downhill fast.

That's disappointing.  So I take it a lot of the "main missions" will be just repeats of Chapter 1 missions, but with various restrictions tacked on?

Don't see them as main missions. It's more like repeating action with different rule set. Chapter 2 still has real "main missions", but not anywhere as many as chapter 1.

This is why the ending sucks arse and feels totally rushed.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

FarCry 4; my OCD is slowing me down, I just have to collect all the useless things in the world before I can progress the story. Final stretches now, liberated 100% of the camps and conquered 100% of the towers, it has been fun but I was hoping for bigger changes compared to the previous installation.

Gaming OCD almost ruined AssCreed: Black Flag for me.  I thoroughly liked that game for about 40 hours, but my desire to collect every one of the useless knickknacks combined with Ubisoft's raging boner for making players climb towers got me heavily burnt out on the game.  I wound up taking a 2-3 week break then powered through the final part.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

There is one definite drawback to playing Ultima VII, it really does bring into focus how the RPG genre has stagnated and declined in the twenty plus years since this game was released, even the IE games were a step back in both features and quality from this title. A living world, with believable characters who went about their own lives in a realistic manner, absolutely masses of tools with which to explore and interact with that world, interesting content scattered all over the continent drawing on the last three games heritage, an intriguing plot that shows just how an ideology giving cheap, easy answers may appeal compared to the unattainable quest for the virtues, gameplay that is so much more than just a succession of conversation and combat, and most importantly combat only making an appearance when appropriate rather than being a crutch upon which a game stands.

Granted the combat system is horrible and automated, with very little one can do outside of preparation and spells to affect it, but it seems that we have gone the other way in making RPGs now, with combat being the default gameplay and every other feature of games jettisoned in favour of it. However the magic system is a far more enjoyable approach to combat than the random flailing of melee, with tools to use and abuse in and out of combat, one really is quickly made to feel like a powerful protagonist because of the spells they can invoke, and massively useful outside of combat as well.

Granted the graphics are ancient and basic, but they are colourful, distinctive, and really do the job with a charming aesthetic that is not dissimilar to Poes, which was for me one of the high points of that game. When one is exploring the Deep Forest, taking little trodden paths through the virgin woodland, well one cannot fail to be immersed and uneasy, the beaten path is left so far behind. It is so for most of the landscape, with no loading times at all and once again various means to explore and interact with the land.

One has to wonder why this level of detail, the tools to interact with it, and the quality of narrative and themes have not been matched? When first playing it years ago I had rosy visions of the future that could be built upon such a foundation, and why would no one pursue that for the good of the medium? Granted there are games like the Witchers, the Gothics and New Vegas that have come near this level of detail, scale, interactivity and gameplay outside combat, but they only seem to be catching up after more than two decades. It leaves one a little depressed.

Of course I do not expect games of that calibre as standard, the Ultimas were the flagships of gaming, the cutting edge which usually required a brand new system and much jury rigging to get running (and bugs, well anyone whom played games in that period will dismiss modern technical problems as beneath consideration in comparison,) but there should be something striving to do the same in RPGs. Little Larian cannot afford to make a modern U7 despite Swen's absolutely sterling efforts.

Ah well rant over, feel much more chipper now, thank you for the venting opportunity. Back to Britannia and the endless quest.

Edit: Good Lord my spelling and grammar, abysmal.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Gaming OCD almost ruined AssCreed: Black Flag for me.  I thoroughly liked that game for about 40 hours, but my desire to collect every one of the useless knickknacks combined with Ubisoft's raging boner for making players climb towers got me heavily burnt out on the game.  I wound up taking a 2-3 week break then powered through the final part.

Well, I am also positive on gaming OCD... That's why I still play the DAMNED!!! Star Ocean 4. It's soon freaking 5 years when I started to play the game, and I still feel deep burn in my soul, that it is not finished until I get the damn Platinum Trophy... Thankfully the hardest and the most time consuming part is already behind me, but the Chaos Difficulty, which still awaits me, is pretty hard as well :-/

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours