Movies you've seen recently

Rosbjerg

I doubt it. It's a Will Smith character that says "let's go save the world". He may as well be saying "welcome to earf".

It doesn't bode well with me that a movie will make a joke of itself deliberately, just doing a shoddy job so that people make fun of it.

Although I forgave The Dark Knight Rises because it is a good study on how to ruin a franchise to get out of contractual obligations (I know what you did Nolan) I'm getting the feeling that the Suicide Squad is just doing it for laughs. I don't like when people produce things contemptuously.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Jurassic World. Not too bad. Better than the second and third. Nearly on par with the first.

I thought it was great.

Maybe even better than the first.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Although I was tempted to put this one in the funny things thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgS7nfdRMC8&

EW has published photos with Psylocke, Storm and Apocalypse.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/16/first-looks-at-psylocke-and-the-new-storm-from-x-men-apoclaypse/

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Although I was tempted to put this one in the funny things thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgS7nfdRMC8&

EW has published photos with Psylocke, Storm and Apocalypse.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/16/first-looks-at-psylocke-and-the-new-storm-from-x-men-apoclaypse/

tumblr_mokqxuZZWH1qlxl31o1_500.gif

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Just watched Elysium again, which is an awesome film if it weren't for the god awful stupid ending. Love Jodie Foster in it, and the tech in the movie is sweet, especially those exoskeletons. Remembers me why I lift weights, making myself a poor mans exoskeleton.  :grin:

Oh and I've fallen in love with Jodie Fosters voice, I wish she would voice act for games. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Really? I didn't think The Dark Knight Rises was awful, just mediocre. It's closer to Batman Begins than Dark Knight was. It seems more like Nolan trying to salvage what was left of his original plan when Ledger died.

I think that it was just that what makes it worthy of recognition, because it was just bad enough to kill the franchise without reeking of sabotage. Upon closer inspection however you begin to see just how ridiculous this movie is.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Really? I didn't think The Dark Knight Rises was awful, just mediocre. It's closer to Batman Begins than Dark Knight was. It seems more like Nolan trying to salvage what was left of his original plan when Ledger died.

I think that it was just that what makes it worthy of recognition, because it was just bad enough to kill the franchise without reeking of sabotage. Upon closer inspection however you begin to see just how ridiculous this movie is.

Sounds like you never took a closer look at the preceding films.

• Like 1

Did one of the extras looked like he slip on a banana peel because he fell 2 seconds before batman was even near him? Did the main bad guy had the funniest voice ever?

village_idiot.gif

I thought it was weird that the Diablo 2 voice actor for Deckard Cain played Bane, but maybe that was just me.

(e):

Literally all I could think of anytime Bane talked. Obviously, they're not exactly the same, but they're unique enough voices that happen to sound similar that I can't but help think it. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

watched conan again. is our favorite fantasy movie, though raiders of the lost ark and the empire strikes back are not far behind.

regardless, whenever we get the prayer to crom scene

we cannot help but think o' the following scene from major league  (warning: sweary)

kinda messes with the moment.

HA! Good Fun!

shadysands klingon war song in the music thread got us recalling such stuff.

maybe rewatch this eve.

were not a great adaptation from novel to movie, but we enjoyed it... for the most part.  Gromnir ain't exactly a tolkien-level scholar when it comes to beowulf, but we did teach an art o' the narrative class that included the poem as well as tdkr (as well as other works.)  got a soft spot for beowulf.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Did one of the extras looked like he slip on a banana peel because he fell 2 seconds before batman was even near him? Did the main bad guy had the funniest voice ever?

No, the lead did. Make fun of Bane what you will, he's still less ridiculous than Batman himself. And while I didn't pay attention to a lot of extras, it was filled with plotholes and contrivances you could drive the tumbler through hidden through sneaky editing. Like when the Joker is looking for Harvey Dent at Bruce's fundraiser, Joker throws Rachel out the window, Batman jumps after her, and then it cuts to the next day despite the fact that the Joker is still holding Gotham's richest hostage and they never mention it again. Or when after the truck crash when the Joker comes out with two henchmen, but then the second one disappears because he's inconvenient for the scene. Or why the hell nobody in the police realizes that their honor guard has been completely replaced with people nobody knows. And lets not ignore the fact that every Joker plan relies on complete coincidence and strain believability in every instance. He leads Batman to the next clue using the imprint of a fingerprint from a gun impact that Batman was only able to find because he was developing the technology for it right then and there as he was working on it. That begs the absolutely ridiculous question of "How did he know Batman would create a fingerprint machine for it?"

Dark Knight was still a really fun movie to watch but it's nowhere near the masterpiece some people seem to think it is. Heath Ledger's performance is pretty much the only thing that elevates it. But people thought Dark Knight was so amazing for some reason that Rises had huge expectations attached to it that it was never going to get close to. That doesn't excuse the many flaws that film has (the only thing I really liked in it was Catwoman) but it's just mediocre on a whole. It's really not that different from the rest of the franchise (there's a good case to be made that it is a retelling of the first film). It's definitely not so bad that you could consider it deliberate sabotage.

And about that anyway, sabotage of what? "Contractual obligations"? Nolan was always contracted for three films, and this was written to be the ending. The studio approved it being an ending to that franchise. There was nothing to sabotage. And if it was sabotage, then Nolan must be the worst at sabotage ever because it utterly failed. It has 87% on Rotten Tomatoes (critics loved it), 8.5 on imdb (audiences loved it) and made over a billion dollars worldwide (the studio loved it). In every category that matters (i.e. not nerds being snarky on a video game forum) the film was a rousing success. And it was super memorable too, considering people are still doing Bane impersonations. Not sure where exactly the deliberate sabotage angle comes in.

• Like 2

Dark Knight was still a really fun movie to watch but it's nowhere near the masterpiece some people seem to think it is.

Hear, hear!

That doesn't excuse the many flaws that [The Dark Knight Rises] has (the only thing I really liked in it was Catwoman

She was good in and of herself, but in the context of the plot that character was kinda pointless. You could cut out all her scenes and it would change next to nothing.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Jurassic World

Meh. The dinos were cool but everything else (story, acting) kinda stunk.

Not surprising with that cast, and the film record of the director is less than impressive. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I enjoyed all three of Nolan's Batman films.  I just think they could have all been 30 minutes shorter.  The last one probably could be an hour shorter.

is a silly criticism, perhaps, but while we moderate enjoyed the final batman film from nolan, thomas hardy's bane were a bit distracting for us.  is not that bane were a bad character or terrible acted, but rather that every time thomas hardy spoke, we heard auric goldfinger.

is similar to how we found christian slater's character from heathers channeling o' jack nicholson to be a bit excessive... but at least heathers were meant to be over-the-top.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)