Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Ian Miles Cheong appologized to GamerGate and Gamers in general: http://stillgray.com/post/119992928665/what-games-mean-to-me

Sounds a bit too opportunist to me.

And thus the my prophesy comes true. 

Me: 3

Nostradamus: still friggin' 0.

I'm too lazy to search. What's your prophecy? I throw you a bone as well, here a song to get into the right mood:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ian Miles Cheong appologized to GamerGate and Gamers in general: http://stillgray.com/post/119992928665/what-games-mean-to-me

Sounds a bit too opportunist to me.

And thus the my prophesy comes true. 

Me: 3

Nostradamus: still friggin' 0.

I'm too lazy to search. What's your prophecy? I throw you a bone as well, here a song to get into the right mood:

Posted by Namutree on 04 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

Fighter, on 04 May 2015 - 2:33 PM, said:snapback.png

What the hell happened to Miles Cheong....?

CEMHl_R4_WAAABCbc_png_large.png

He's switching sides again. It's all a progression.

1: He starts as a nazi.

2: He takes a step in the right direction and becomes a SJW. <--- Annoying as they are; I'd take a SJW over a nazi.

3: He's taking another step in the right direction and is going to be critical of both GG and SJW's.

4: Eventually he'll take another step and say he's more sympathetic to GG than SJW's.

The trend will keep going until he's a straight up right wing libertarian.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

lol

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Ian Miles Cheong is not the Muad'Dib.

How can you be so sure about that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Has #gamergate spoken out over the censorship of Dragon Age Inquisition?

- removal of brothel

- removal of sexualized desire demons

- manification and uglification of straight male romance options

- ugly stick all the women in the game except for morrigan, leliana & isabela

- removal of hot boob plate armor

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

- removal of brothel

No I don't think this is on GG radar, but thanks for bringing this important development to the attention of the GG members on this forum

I'm sure you will find  them raising this issue  :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

- removal of brothel

Feminism: Make women ugly!

Here's a fun tangent: Did you know that when a guy comments on a girl's ass and says she's got a nice ass, he's actually subconciously and completely instinctually recognizing that she's got healthy birthing hips and is more likely to provide a safe and healthy birth? I'm afraid I heard this years ago so I don't have a source on that, but during my google search I did find this: http://elitedaily.com/news/world/scientists-think-women-bigger-butts-produce-smarter-children/916018/

The above link at least attests to the fact that I'm not lying and yes, this is a real science that actual people in actual labcoats investigate. Interesting stuff.

Biology is smart. Very smart. And while I'm by no means trying to say that ugly people are universal failures that can't produce anything good, I merely want to highlight that there is a method to the madness of attractiveness, so shaming attractiveness and trying to go against it is a bit counter-intuitive. 

Not to mention how ideological it is, and therefore horrendously impractical. Case example: the USA does not realize how strong it's capitalism game is. Advertisements in the USA are flawless. Comparatively, German ads are more relaxed. Our models in ads often aren't picture perfect or they have something noticeable like a scar on their cheek or whatever. First, it comes across as more amateur and not to be taken seriously, and secondly, the stuff like scars or squinty eyes or whatever does distract from the ad itself, because at the very least you catch yourself staring and asking "I wonder why they chose this person since here I am now questioning why they chose them because it distracts from the ad, and therefore continues to do so."  I would not expect to be shown in an advertisement brandishing my prosthetic on full display so everyone sees my leg is fake because it distracts from the purpose. As such, good luck ever convincing business and marketing to buy into this kind of stuff.

EDIT:  Derpy me, I linked that source just to make a point and chose to read it once I was done. The article directly references the other study I read years ago, so viola. :p

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

- removal of brothel

It's not censorship when they do it to themselves. If a dev goes, "I don't wanna make a brothel ." It's not case of censorship. If some one forced Bioware to not have a brothel; that'd be a different story. Not including features you like, even if they were inspired by feminism (which as far as I know might not even be the case) is not censorship.

Boob plate is annoying and stupid. Good riddance.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Yeah, I read somewhere that not making the female characters attractive was a stylistic choice by the creators, not some sort of caving to outside pressure. So while its a questionable choice, there isn't anything really wrong with it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

- removal of brothel

Sorry, GamerGate cannot help against bad taste in design. It was Bioware's own choice.

Hot boob plate is always awesome, though.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

- removal of brothel

Sorry, GamerGate cannot help against bad taste in design. It was Bioware's own choice.

Hot boob plate is always awesome, though.

The Obsidian  GG committee has studied your request luzarius and decided it has no valid grounds to express outrage and venting. Personally I want to thank the members of the committee for taking time out there busy schedules to address this request  :biggrin:

I hope this matter is now settled  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The DAI decisions were a bit odd given that they were pretty much exact reverse of the ME3 visual design decisions where Ashley and Liara both got some augmentation from the earlier games and you had an invasion of Jersey Shore extras as well.

Here's a fun tangent: Did you know that when a guy comments on a girl's ass and says she's got a nice ass, he's actually subconciously and completely instinctually recognizing that she's got healthy birthing hips and is more likely to provide a safe and healthy birth?

I hate that sort of thing, ever since I found out why red lipstick is attractive it's the first thing I think of when I see it, which can be a bit off putting.

Yes one can't look at the Maypole being erected on the green in the same light either, surprising how much of that kind of stuff veins through society.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The DAI decisions were a bit odd given that they were pretty much exact reverse of the ME3 visual design decisions where Ashley and Liara both got some augmentation from the earlier games and you had an invasion of Jersey Shore extras as well.

Here's a fun tangent: Did you know that when a guy comments on a girl's ass and says she's got a nice ass, he's actually subconciously and completely instinctually recognizing that she's got healthy birthing hips and is more likely to provide a safe and healthy birth?

I hate that sort of thing, ever since I found out why red lipstick is attractive it's the first thing I think of when I see it, which can be a bit off putting.

Why is red lipstick attractive?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

While I'm not a huge fan of boob plate overall, I'm not bothered by it either.  I'm a heck of a lot less bothered by it than by obscenely gigantic (often spiky) pauldrons, I really hate that trend, but that's a personal pet peeve.  It really comes down to stylistic choice and whether it fits within the context of the game/setting.  For example, if your game has exaggerated, hyper sexualized characters (think Dragon Crown) then mail bikinis and boob plate fit perfectly.  Likewise, if you are making a game that takes place in a scorching hot desert or jungle environment, loincloths and skimpy outfits make perfect sense, since wearing heavy full armor would be rather uncomfortable, if not detrimental to your health.  On the other hand, if your game takes place in a temperate environment and the aesthetic looks to mimic real medieval armor (think Pillars) then a mail bikini would feel quite out of place in a game like that.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My personal theory, completely unsupported by anything, is that it's because red is the colour of arousal.

An aroused person often looks flushed and pink. Red cosmetics, such as blushes and lipsticks send subconscious messages to our brains that we should find this attractive.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

" <--- Annoying as they are; I'd take a SJW over a nazi."

Same **** different pile.

No way, Nazis were much better dressers.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My personal theory, completely unsupported by anything, is that it's because red is the colour of arousal.

An aroused person often looks flushed and pink. Red cosmetics, such as blushes and lipsticks send subconscious messages to our brains that we should find this attractive.

I guess, but a lot of women who can't pull off red lipstick end up looking creepy to me, rather than arousing.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yes, lets compare a group that actively engage in genocide to a bunch of weirdos who like to type in caps on twitter.   :getlost:

hugo.jpg

Oh please. If SJWs had the fashion sense like this, we would be in real trouble.

• Like 2

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I guess, but a lot of women who can't pull off red lipstick end up looking creepy to me, rather than arousing.

I've never really seen the appeal of bright red lipstick myself, but red is generally the universal color of physical and romantic attraction.

Jessica_rabbit.png

Edited by GhoulishVisage

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Yes, lets compare a group that actively engage in genocide to a bunch of weirdos who like to type in caps on twitter.   :getlost:

hugo.jpg

Oh please. If SJWs had the fashion sense like this, we would be in real trouble.

I'm Polish, my homeland got freakin' obliterated by Nazis and there are plenty of people in my family a generation or two ago that directly greatly suffered and/or died as a result of Nazis, and even I will admit that their uniforms were freakin' magnificent.  I suppose that if you're going to be an evil scumbag, you might as well be a fabulously dressed evil scumbag.

That said, Nazis got nothing on Polish Winged Hussars in the fabulous military outfit department.

poland11.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

hugo.jpg

I'm Polish, my homeland got freakin' obliterated by Nazis and there are plenty of people in my family a generation or two ago that directly greatly suffered and/or died as a result of Nazis, and even I will admit that their uniforms were freakin' magnificent.  I suppose that if you're going to be an evil scumbag, you might as well be a fabulously dressed evil scumbag.

That said, Nazis got nothing on Polish Winged Hussars in the fabulous military outfit department.

poland11.jpg

Daym, what fabolous as ****. Whatever happened, Poland?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy