[MONK BUILD] - Let's start buildin some hurtin bombs - POTD, TOI, Blind

* BUILD TESTED AGAINST RAEDRIC HOLD FIGHT ON POTD w/level 4 party no custom companions, muscling it with no door choke points.

Click link to go straight to the post with screenshots of whole fight.

- http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79442-monk-build-lets-start-buildin-some-hurtin-bombs-potd-toi-blind/?p=1691123

* WHAT THE HELL DOES BLIND PLAY THROUGH MEAN?

Click link to find out (links to another post in this thread)

- http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79442-monk-build-lets-start-buildin-some-hurtin-bombs-potd-toi-blind/?p=1691074

Portraits:

(Drag drop to folder: PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\art\gui\portraits\player\male)

male_godlike_fire_a_lg.pngmale_godlike_fire_a_sm.png

Question: How do I possibly beat this game in a POTD, TOI, blind play through with a MONK?

ANSWER: RELAX MY FRIEND, first watch this:

CLICK HERE - Watch this first or click the following image.

hurt.jpg

Question: But, Luzarius, can I really punch through steel, ON PATH OF DA DAMNED?

ANSWER: YES!

image.jpg

@ Level 4 - 46.9 Crit PUNCH

punch.jpg

THE BUILD

Race: Godlike - Moon - Aumana

Special Ability:  Silver Tide (Moon Godlike) – Every Encounter when reduced below 75%, 50%, or 25% Endurance moon Godlike generate waves of healing moonlight that heals Endurance to them and their allies.

Class: Monk

Culture: Living Lands

Stats:

- 19 might (for damage)

- 18 con (so you can take punishment)

- 18 dex (so you can punch fast)

- 3 perception (you want to get hit)

- 10 int (you want to retain willpower)

- 10 resolve (you want to concentrate to a certain degree)

Abilities:

- (lvl1) Torment's Reach: Spam the hell out of this as much as you possibly can, spam it, spam it, spam it.

- (lvl2) Lesser Wounds: - 2 wound threshold so you gain wounds faster.

- (lvl3) Turning Wheel: For every wound you gain 5% of burn damage, to be used against enemies who are vulnerable to burning damage.

- (lvl4) Vulnerable Attack: You punch 20% slower, but gain -5 DR bypass. THE HURTIN BOMBS.

NOTE: I am not a fan of Fist of Anguish, it's not reliable.

Skills I want to get:

- Weapon Focus Peasant: +6 accuracy with unarmed, extremely important on POTD difficulty. (I'm at level 4, will take this at level 5 if possible).

Armor:

- Plate or Brigandine, the highest DR protection armor you can get.

Tactics:

- Have Durance cast consecrated healing and try to stay in it, but don't be afraid to punch the crap out of everything, being aggressive.

- Durance may need to throw his iconic projection to heal you from a distance.

- Spam the hell out of Torment's Reach.

- Have Aloth use the Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff to support you from behind.  (Make sure he doesn't poke your backside with his staff though).

- Don't be afraid to disengage to hurt yourself to gain more wounds.

- Have Durance cast withdraw on you if you're in trouble.

Your Role:

- You are the TANK & DPS. You go in first, you want everyone to hit you first.  I actually use Eder as a tank/dps, 50/50. Eder uses a fine estoc.  Eder & this monk build can hold a frontline very well while Kana, Aloth & Durance are in the back.  You want to get hit as much as possible, build wounds fast and spam the hell out of torment's reach.

PUNCHIN BOMBS FTW!

The Inestimable Lord Raedric meets DA HURTIN BOMBS with level 4 party, no custom companions

raedric_potd_toi_strategy_0007_Layer_28.

Frontal Assault Readric Hold

frtt.jpg

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

I was using a similar build and it was fun, though I used a custom party and had a paladin with an endurance aura as the second tank and that allowed me to havd my monk wear Eders armour which is lesser speed penalty which means faster attacks = MORE PUNCHING BOMBS.

Then when you find the Sanguine armour the real fun begings as now it has frenzy. Then you get a berserker monk with +4 in might and con and 33% more speed= MORE PUNCHING BOMBS

• Like 1

How many times do you play through the game before it stops being blind? :)

But Yes, Monks are a good pick. Also finding Wizards really easy so far. 

The goal is to experience as much of the game as you can in a blind play through.  If you die in Trial of Iron, your second attempt will not be blind up to the point you died. This means up to that point you may change your tactics and approach.  Once you reach the point where you were defeated, the rest of the game becomes blind again.  The ultimate glory comes from beating a game blind on your first attempt in any type of Ironman, Trial of Iron mode. We've done this many times in our twitch channel - http://www.twitch.tv/luzarius

Ideally, you want your first playthrough to be blind 100% of the way through, however the nature of this game encourages you to try new builds.

This may come as a surprise, but I have not reached Defiance Bay yet out of all the times I've played.  Do you know why? If I beat this game too quickly, I'm not going to have anything else to play afterwards.  Epic games like this are rare sadly :(

UPDATE

The staff sucks compared to the combo of slicken,chill fog + cold of rime utility skill.

OLD

What do you think of Concelhauts parasitic staff? I've been using it on Aloth and I think it's actually better than Chill Fog.  The staff is incredibly powerful.

Edited by luzarius

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Staff carried me though Act I playing solo Wizard. Depends on your party setup though. Only useful if Aloth is in Mindline or Frontline so you will have to build with the idea in mind that he might draw aggro, so Arcane Veil and Hardened Veil is essential. 

Once you get Kalakoth's Minor Blights however you probably wont use the staff again.

Edited by Omnicron

6ej155.jpg

The goal is to experience as much of the game as you can in a blind play through.  If you die in Trial of Iron, your second attempt will not be blind up to the point you died. This means up to that point you may change your tactics and approach.  Once you reach the point where you were defeated, the rest of the game becomes blind again.  The ultimate glory comes from beating a game blind on your first attempt in any type of Ironman, Trial of Iron mode. We've done this many times in our twitch channel - http://www.twitch.tv/luzarius

Ideally, you want your first playthrough to be blind 100% of the way through, however the nature of this game encourages you to try new builds.

This may come as a surprise, but I have not reached Defiance Bay yet out of all the times I've played.  Do you know why? If I beat this game too quickly, I'm not going to have anything else to play afterwards.  Epic games like this are rare sadly :(

What do you think of Concelhauts parasitic staff? I've been using it on Aloth and I think it's actually better than Chill Fog.  The staff is incredibly powerful.

You are doing "guides" for this game and you haven't reached DEFIANCE BAY yet? :D:D:D

• Like 1

You are doing "guides" for this game and you haven't reached DEFIANCE BAY yet? :D:D:D

Players who do POTD, TOI, blind will understand my logic.  Those who beat the game could easily point out flaws in the build to disprove the effectiveness of the build.  The question is, which are you? :p   After a minute or so, you will feel the sting.

Edited by luzarius

Players who do POTD, TOI, blind will understand my logic.  Those who beat the game could easily point out flaws in the build to disprove the effectiveness of the build.  The question is, which are you? :p   After a minute or so, you will feel the sting.

Apart from that your build isn't that good, my initial post did NOT even touch that subject. The only sting I feel from reading your replies is to have wasted my time trolling you in the first place, since you don't even understand what I'm saying, so busy are you with your own trolling. :)

THE BUILD

Race: Godlike - Moon - Aumana

Special Ability:  Silver Tide (Moon Godlike) – Every Encounter when reduced below 75%, 50%, or 25% Endurance moon Godlike generate waves of healing moonlight that heals Endurance to them and their allies.

Class: Monk

Stats:

- 19 might (for damage)

- 18 con (so you can take punishment)

- 18 dex (so you can punch fast)

- 3 perception (you want to get hit)

- 10 int (you want to retain willpower)

- 10 resolve (you want to concentrate to a certain degree)

Abilities:

- Lesser Wounds: - 2 wound threshold so you gain wounds faster.

- Turning Wheel: For every wound you gain 5% of burn damage, to be used against enemies who are vulnerable to burning damage.

- Torment's Reach: Spam the hell out of this as much as you possibly can, spam it, spam it, spam it.

- Weapon Focus Peasant: +6 accuracy with unarmed, extremely important on POTD difficulty. (I'm at level 4, will take this at level 5 if possible).

- Vulnerable Attack: You punch 20% slower, but gain -5 DR bypass. THE HURTIN BOMBS.

Armor:

- Plate or Brigandine, the highest DR protection armor you can get.

Tactics:

- Have Durance cast consecrated healing and try to stay in it, but don't be afraid to punch the crap out of everything, being aggressive.

- Durance may need to throw his iconic projection to heal you from a distance.

- Spam the hell out of Torment's Reach.

- Have Aloth use the Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff to support you from behind.  (Make sure he doesn't poke your backside with his staff though).

- Don't be afraid to disengage to hurt yourself to gain more wounds.

- Have Durance cast withdraw on you if you're in trouble.

Why take turning wheels if you are going to spam torment's reach? Better to take FoA for long duration prones and knockback for situational use, or long stride for a massive movement speed buff.

I'd look to take dual wield for +20% attack speed and savage attack for +20% damage before vulnerable attack.

Why take turning wheels if you are going to spam torment's reach? Better to take FoA for long duration prones and knockback for situational use, or long stride for a massive movement speed buff.

I'd look to take dual wield for +20% attack speed and savage attack for +20% damage before vulnerable attack.

I was worried about future encounters where something may be immune to crush so a little fire from turning wheels would help, but I see the merit of taking FoA instead.  You've got me thinking now.

I took vulnerable attack early so I could deal with high DR enemies asap.

Guys, holy ****. Is Monk broken overpowered or what? I can't get over how much damage he is dishing out, while being able to tank lol.

I'm wondering if I should just sacrifice speed and get more DR punching power, aka PUNCHIN BOMBS.  Just make the punches hit even harder and harder somehow hah.  Savage Attack like you said.

Wonder if I should go more accuracy for higher chance of the punchin bomb to CRIT.

@ level 5 - Weapon Focus Peasant for +6 accuracy for higher chance to crit

@ next level - FoA

@ next level - Savage Attack

WING CHUN VS HAYMAKERS

Edited by luzarius

Why take turning wheels if you are going to spam torment's reach?

There are times your monk gets more wounds than he can dump .. (could be eating a huge damage spell, or more often paralyze/stun/stuck - and eating a lot of damage ) .. You can then start to "slowly" discharge wounds with torment's reach and turning wheel will keep doing (slowly decreasing) work for each torment's reach discharge .. 

That said Turning Wheel is not an early-mid game perk - it only starts to shine during the later stages - it scales with the monk's endurance & health pools and a party's ability to heal .. You need endgame endurance to be able to keep fighting with 10-15 wounds and maximizing TW potential . TW makes dumping constitution on a monk problematic ..

Monk maximal single target DPS requires both torments reach and turning wheel ..(and swift/lightning strikes) .. 

Edited by peddroelm
  • Like 1

WPNTVf7.jpg

Well, I finally died @ level 4 on POTD, TOI to Raedric and his guards after choosing the [attack] dialogue.

I was going on a killing spree and wanted to see what kind of situations I could handle. I thought I could handle Raedric and all his men without needing a choke point. I immediately got surrounded, I lasted for a while, but this build still got overwhelmed by those archmage casts & priest spells.  I had fine breastplate armor, i had ale & pearlwood chicken before hand.  I had durance put down the healing circle plus the armor of faith, but they still overwhelmed because of that surround.

After choosing the [attack] dialogue with Raedric, you're literally in the worst possible position for a fight, especially on POTD @ level 4.  I had kana, aloth, eder, me and durance (5 man party).

What is the best way to kill raedric without being at such a huge disadvantage after choosing to attack him while speaking to him?  How can I justify this roleplaying wise? I don't want to cheat myself or the game.

It's easy to tell Raedric we'll go kill Kolsc, but then immediately turn on him after securing a choke point. But to actually beat that fight after telling Raedric you're going to attack him to his face and then handle the surround on POTD @ level 4 without any custom companions, that seems nearly impossible.  Any of you guys figure it out?

HOW DO I BEAT RAEDRIC FACE TO FACE ON POTD, TOI @ Level 4 with no choke points and handling the surround with a 5 man party (no custom companions)?  

Edited by luzarius

potions, summons, scrolls, traps, etc if you want to do stuff early instead of holding off a couple levels or using choke-points.

i dont like using choke-points or consumables so i usually come back level 5 or 6 and face-roll him in all my playthroughs.

I think I got it figured out.

1. drink ale and eat pearlwood chicken, (optional, equip everyone with hatchet & shield to make the fallback to the door?)

2. talk to raedric then tell him he's going down, then the fight starts.

3. make sure kana's movement chant is on.

4. slowly move kana, durance, aloth back towards the door, then disengage eder & monk and move them towards the door

5. repeat 4 until at choke point, but heal if need be. Like dudex said, use potions, summons, scrolls and make the fall back to the door.

6. once at door choke point, victory on POTD @ level 4.

This sounds good in theory, but tomorrow will be the test. I'll give an update tomorrow.

Edited by luzarius

1. drink ale and eat pearlwood chicken, (optional, equip everyone with hatchet & shield to make the fallback to the door?)

4. slowly move kana, durance, aloth back towards the door, then disengage eder & monk and move them towards the door

5. repeat 4 until at choke point, but heal if need be. Like dudex said, use potions, summons, scrolls and make the fall back to the door.

This sounds good in theory, but tomorrow will be the test. I'll give an update tomorrow.

That's stupid if you wanna cheese at the door, go there immediately...

Well, I finally died @ level 4 on POTD, TOI to Raedric and his guards after choosing the [attack] dialogue.

I was going on a killing spree and wanted to see what kind of situations I could handle. I thought I could handle Raedric and all his men without needing a choke point. I immediately got surrounded, I lasted for a while, but this build still got overwhelmed by those archmage casts & priest spells.  I had fine breastplate armor, i had ale & pearlwood chicken before hand.  I had durance put down the healing circle plus the armor of faith, but they still overwhelmed because of that surround.

After choosing the [attack] dialogue with Raedric, you're literally in the worst possible position for a fight, especially on POTD @ level 4.  I had kana, aloth, eder, me and durance (5 man party).

What is the best way to kill raedric without being at such a huge disadvantage after choosing to attack him while speaking to him?  How can I justify this roleplaying wise? I don't want to cheat myself or the game.

It's easy to tell Raedric we'll go kill Kolsc, but then immediately turn on him after securing a choke point. But to actually beat that fight after telling Raedric you're going to attack him to his face and then handle the surround on POTD @ level 4 without any custom companions, that seems nearly impossible.  Any of you guys figure it out?

HOW DO I BEAT RAEDRIC FACE TO FACE ON POTD, TOI @ Level 4 with no choke points and handling the surround with a 5 man party (no custom companions)?  

I killed him on hard at level 4, cant be too much worse on PotD. Like you said you are in a bad spot talking to him. So don't talk to him. Position your characters at the door which leads to his study or which goes up to the room for which you get Nedmar's key. Send your tank with a ranged weapon and attack one of them and run back to the door. gg easy. 

6ej155.jpg

thats the same as using choke points and cheesing enemy ai..

anyways if u have to abuse choke points or poor combat ai where they split up after chasing then you are probably under leveled or need to rethink your builds.

im not saying you shouldnt play like that but when u ask the a solution to tackle the battle headon and then decided the solution was to retreat to the door right when it starts isnt really any different.

• Like 2

That's stupid if you wanna cheese at the door, go there immediately...

You don't think getting to the door is enough challenge in itself? Basically you're fighting your way there instead of taking advantage of telling him you'll kill Kolsc, when in actuality you just want to tactically position yourself.

See, if there was a [lie] dialogue option, then it could be justified.  You could choose [lie] with Raedric, then tactically position and kill him after speaking with him.  It would be justified roleplaying wise.

But to actually tell him you'll go and kill kolsc, it's said with meaning and depth, doesn't make sense to turn around and attack raedric right after unless you speak to Kolsc.

Now would this build work for a solo run of PotD,ToI,Expert?

I don't think so.  If anyone can figure that out let me know.

thats the same as using choke points and cheesing enemy ai..

anyways if u have to abuse choke points or poor combat ai where they split up after chasing then you are probably under leveled or need to rethink your builds.

im not saying you shouldnt play like that but when u ask the a solution to tackle the battle headon and then decided the solution was to retreat to the door right when it starts isnt really any different.

Hmm, I guess my point was more about roleplaying immersion than trying to fight him straight up while being surrounded.  Don't get me wrong, fighting him straight up while surrounded would be awesome, but I'm not sure how.

Raven mentioned the use of wizard's double potions.  I actually had four of those potions I could've used for the fight.

BTW, everyone, this build is sound, it's my strategy that needs work. Keep in mind, fighting raedric while surrounded is pretty damn hard on POTD @ level 4.  I'm testing this build against the most difficult fights in near impossible situations.

Hmmm, wizards double potions.  So the rule is, when severely outnumbered, use wizard double potions.

Kdubya mentioned FoA instead of turning wheels, FoA may of made the difference.

Edited by luzarius

lol such a joke thread ,was fun to read tho .

Why cant you just shoot one of raedrics guards when you enter the hall from the door ? this is the most immersive way anyway because why the **** would you want to get in his face and talk if you come there to kill him ? 

fallback to the door stage roflmao ;DDD

Edited by Exoduss
  • Like 1

One more thing, I could easily, easily, easily beat this game right now on POTD, TOI using more choke point strategies than need be.  I've done it with tons of games in front of thousands of viewers on my twitch channel.   I've played and conquered games ten times harder than in Ironman.

The problem is I have no game to play after this, so it's better to take my time and go the extra distance, enjoying each fight, appreciating the roleplaying aspect in addition to the challenge of POTD, TOI.

If anyone here is doing blind playthrough as well and understands what I'm talking about, then we can do this together :)  Normally I'd be streaming, but I can't so this is the best way to share the burden and fun of this play style with the community.

The goal is to beat at least 50% of the game blind without losing at the end.   I've done this many times for many games. I've yet to be defeated by an end game boss in Ironman (of course, that's not saying much since in most games by the time you get to the end you're very powerful).

Edited by Tigranes
quoting a deleted post

I killed him on hard at level 4, cant be too much worse on PotD. Like you said you are in a bad spot talking to him. So don't talk to him. Position your characters at the door which leads to his study or which goes up to the room for which you get Nedmar's key. Send your tank with a ranged weapon and attack one of them and run back to the door. gg easy. 

What can i say....before I played potd I played hard, then I found out hard is only for girly men.

Seriously though, Path of the Damned is much more difficult than hard, at least until you adjust.