Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Illiterate morons, touch harsh.

Not really, you regularly call me stupid and have even claimed I have syphilis which has rotted my brain due to my relationships with  prostitutes (despite the fact syphilis is curable if treated early.)  :biggrin:

But guys Alum does makes several valid points, these are really about people making generalizations around articles and people trying to understand nuances.

I would encourage all of us to take this advice constructively. :)

You have accused me of being a liar, grandstanding, pursuing a false agenda, spewing rhetoric and various other things Bruce. 

Yes but the difference is you have demonstrated all those things, not all the time but particularly on the GG thread

No I haven't Bruce, I have debated honestly, made my opinion and position known and argued against false narratives. You are free to believe that I have grandstanded and spewed rhetoric but lied and pursued a false agenda, pursuant to your own self admitted reliance on facts i'll need to see some evidence for this.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Basically, my concern with the casual dismissal of "hey, it's a game based on Slavic folklore, you can't have minorities or they will inevitably feel shoehorned in" is that, well, despite adolescent bull**** like TW1's sex cards, the writers at CD Projekt have largely proven to be decent storytellers. I think "no, it's impossible for them to write minority characters who don't feel tacked on" is selling them short. I'm pretty sure they could find a solution if they wanted to.

I can't speak for anybody else but I haven't stated that the game can't have minorities, as there already are many green, grey and so on, however it's perfectly valid for the darker skinned humans to find it hard to reach the Northern Kingdoms usually and especially during wartime. It's also perfectly valid if the designers choose not to include a demographic who are more than rare in that locale, to the point where Zerrikania is almost a myth to the common folk. If one finds this objectionable then one has a logical recourse, simply boycott the game.

Personally I choose to support the designers artistic vision and right to make a game without having to adhere to foreigners politically correct checklists. Then again I don't find it repellent to play a different race, gender, species or in a different culture in a game, and I certainly don't expect designers to make every protagonist an Englishman to appeal to me. In fact i'd be bored if they did, as i'm an Englishman in real life and seek something different and exotic from my escapism.

Such as a genetically engineered mutant whom is not technically of the human species anymore.

Edit: Off to barbecue some steaks, good afternoon.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Basically, my concern with the casual dismissal of "hey, it's a game based on Slavic folklore, you can't have minorities or they will inevitably feel shoehorned in" is that, well, despite adolescent bull**** like TW1's sex cards, the writers at CD Projekt have largely proven to be decent storytellers. I think "no, it's impossible for them to write minority characters who don't feel tacked on" is selling them short. I'm pretty sure they could find a solution if they wanted to.

Yes, they can. Should they be forced to?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

despite adolescent bull**** like TW1's sex cards,

Aww, I loved Witcher one's sex cards, it just reminded me of things that us guys do in RL. I thought it was clever. 

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Yes, they can. Should they be forced to?

I don't know, is a person trying to breach the subject of minority representation in gaming forcing anyone to do anything?

I mean, basically, some people come across as having this predicted chain of events that's inevitable to happen unless we push against the SJWs with all of our might oh my God do SOMETHING:

Step 1: Developer makes a game which features something socially conscious folks find objectionable.

Step 2: People talk about it on twitter! They're saying unkind things!

Step 3: ???

Step 4: CENSORSHIP ENSUES

Note that in these hypothetical scenarios, Step 3 is never really elaborated upon.

Whereas the more realistic chain of events would look more like this:

Step 1: Developer makes a game which features something socially conscious folks find objectionable.

Step 2: People talk about it on twitter! They're saying unkind things!

Step 3: After a few weeks, the discussion dies down because the Internet's attention span is comparable to that of a hamster.

Step 4: Nothing changes whatsoever.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

What if Zerrikanians are also white?

1152cc3a2754a2d.jpg

Then when humanity came from wherever they came in the conjunction, it was only a small amount of Slavs that made it over.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands