Journalism and Bias in the Gaming Industry

Blarghagh

Yes I know you still pretend to support social justice Bruce.

Gamergates victories are simply victories, they are as I stated worth celebrating as is any moral cause, and personally I wish that there were far more consumer revolts such as this with people fighting against corruption and lies. The world would be a far better place, especially if this spread to journalism as a whole and maybe even politics.

Demonisation of the innocent, endemic corruption, the lies of a false narrative parroted by those in power, and their barely literate followers, and most importantly accountability to the common people, these are all things worth fighting for in my opinion. Worthy of celebration as well.

You are free to disagree however Bruce, and post however many smileys seem to be amusing and witty to you.

Yeah I do like the  :teehee: emoticon...but it is accurate because I am chuckling and its because sometimes you make me laugh....but its not malicious 

Oh how is that consumer revolt going ? 8 months in I assume we would have seen the results yet I think RPS, Polygon and other websites are still operating ?

And why would I say I support SJ if I didn't ? Why would i pretend....that makes no sense

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yes such Wilde like wit would amuse you I was quite sure.

Gamergate? Very well thank you for asking, various publications have had to sack staff whom were blatantly moronic and anti consumer champions, such as Leigh Alexander, Ben Kuchera, Bob Chipman, Jim Sterling etcetera. Many publications have been forced to implement ethics policies because of us. Gawker media a cesspit of immorality and poor journalism has suffered millions of dollar in lost ad revenue. Accountability to the public has become a driving force once more. Several pro conusmer publication prioritising ethics and disclosure have been created. The Escapist actually made an acknowledged full about turn, and prioritised good journalism and consumer championing. Female developers have been enabled thanks to Gamergates funding. Undeniable facts and victories worth celebrating as I stated.

RPS and Polygon, I really couldn't care less about: One is the home of an idiot whom laughs at the victims of bomb threats and to all moderate and reasonable people such individuals are scum only to be spat upon. The other is the home of barely literate poor journalism that openly trades in factually disproven lies and a false narrative. Both are rapidly becoming irrelevant, and their childish attempts at humour and awful prose are not the only reasons for this, they are simply untrustworthy and biased.

It's because you're a hypocrite Bruce.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yes such Wilde like wit would amuse you I was quite sure.

Gamergate? Very well thank you for asking, various publications have had to sack staff whom were blatantly moronic and anti consumer champions, such as Leigh Alexander, Ben Kuchera, Bob Chipman, Jim Sterling etcetera. Many publications have been forced to implement ethics policies because of us. Gawker media a cesspit of immorality and poor journalism has suffered millions of dollar in lost ad revenue. Accountability to the public has become a driving force once more. Several pro conusmer publication prioritising ethics and disclosure have been created. The Escapist actually made an acknowledged full about turn, and prioritised good journalism and consumer championing. Female developers have been enabled thanks to Gamergates funding. Undeniable facts and victories worth celebrating as I stated.

RPS and Polygon, I really couldn't care less about: One is the home of an idiot whom laughs at the victims of bomb threats and to all moderate and reasonable people such individuals are scum only to be spat upon. The other is the home of barely literate poor journalism that openly trades in factually disproven lies and a false narrative. Both are rapidly becoming irrelevant, and their childish attempts at humour and awful prose are not the only reasons for this, they are simply untrustworthy and biased.

It's because you're a hypocrite whom Bruce.

Yes I can see how GG has made some progress, well done. Its not all bad you know 

But I was referring to the objective of getting those websites to close down...but they still open and they still don't like GG

Oh no Nonek I really thought we had moved beyond the whole " you are a social justice hypocrite because you go to stripclubs "  story?

Unless there is another reason I am a hypocrite?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nobody was aiming or expecting to close down anything, Gamergate was trying to improve game journalism and still is.

No you're a hypocrite because you proudly confessed to forcing yourself on Prostitutes Bruce, there is no social justice in propagating a trade that is harmful to women, illegal and dehumanising.

As i've stated before your having to peruse Strip Clubs to meet women, and buying of their time is your own affair and perfectly legal. In fact good luck to the young ladies whom are relieving you of your wages.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Nobody was aiming or expecting to close down anything, Gamergate was trying to improve game journalism and still is.

No you're a hypocrite because you proudly confessed to forcing yourself on Prostitutes Bruce, there is no social justice in propagating a trade that is harmful to women, illegal and dehumanising.

As i've stated before your having to peruse Strip Clubs to meet women, and buying of their time is your own affair and perfectly legal. In fact good luck to the young ladies whom are relieving you of your wages.

Nonek you have this whole thing wrong but I am not going to go into detail to refute it because the truth is you don't care about the plight of strippers...it would be demeaning  to my relationship with the girls if I had to explain it to you

Sorry about that :)

John Milton 

I agree that the movement for more accountability in journalism has seen progress, and I think that is a great thing.  But when are we at the point of diminishing returns?  It seems like the decent sites have clarified themselves, the bad sites have been exposed, and now we are at the point where it is just angry people making angry faces at one another with not much else left to gain.

+1. I'm comfortable with the amount of change we've had and I don't think GamerGate is going to achieve much more. The only thing I'm hoping for is that it keeps the push for basedgamer.com going so we're entirely rid of metacritic.

Recently had a guy on reddit PM me asking if I was still a part of GamerGate. I said no and that I felt like GamerGate had accomplished what it wanted within the games industry and was now targeting things I disagreed with and considered a waste of time, as opposed to what I would've liked to see (AKA, go figure out why MSNBC, the BBC and other major news networks did bias, flat-out inaccurate and dishonest portrayals of Gamergate, all in the interest of exposing media bias and/or negligence for the sake of more important stories).

He responded with, and let me quote him on this:

well it seems Gamer-Gate has moved onto creative/freedom of expression. Games getting self-censored by SJW complaints has brought GG to a new front.

That's both something I don't really give so many ****s about and I think that such a "battle" is not feasible. Such a battle would be similar to the case we had here at Obsidian: you have every right to be disappointed in how Obsidian handled the situation, but to claim it was self-censorship under the pressure of SJWs is something you can never hope to prove. You can never prove if the company felt pressured or if they honestly share the opinions of the SJWs and the SJWs merely brought the issue to their attention. What I saw when I tried bringing Firedorn's responsibility and influence over what Obsidian did to the attention of KiA....? I saw a lot of kiddos really anxious to test out their brand new pitchforks they just bought, willing to jump over a couple steps in proving guilt and to demonize a company that much quicker for minor offenses ("how DARE they even speak to SJWs"), all just so that they could justify their anger.

GamerGate could've been something that followed-up games journalism investigations with investigations to some of the bigger journalism names that gave GamerGate bad, dishonest press. Instead, for whatever reason, the remainder is largely choosing to just develop sides and "show no mercy" to developers who disagree with them. By all means, if Ubisoft or Double Fine tells you you're a trash movement, boycott them, and you as an individual have every right to make purchases based on what you do and don't like. (AKA you can skip Obsidian products if you didn't like how they handled it) Treating this like a war on developers with differing opinions or an unwillingness to be hardcore GG supporters themselves though...? That's idiotic.

The remainder can have fun doing that stuff and bringing about absolute zero change while dragging GamerGate's name through the mud, I'll be over here doing anything else with my time.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Just a reminder. Every time you check a review, please check http://deepfreeze.it/ as well to see for possible collusion.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Nonek you have this whole thing wrong but I am not going to go into detail to refute it because the truth is you don't care about the plight of strippers...it would be demeaning  to my relationship with the girls if I had to explain it to you

Sorry about that :)

It's not me whom you should be apologising to Bruce, however feel free to justify your prostitution to yourself in whatever way you wish, I never expected a straight answer as per usual.

Tea for the teapot!

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hey journos. Ever wondered why gamers do not want to read your tripe? Read this and learn.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

To me what was interesting was his comments on Ms Amy Hennig, one of the stalwarts of the industry, and involved in some of the biggest successes of the past twenty years. A woman whom has blazed a trail and yet does not feel that she was at all discriminated against, even though she began working in an era when men were undoubtedly the largest demographic in the field. To hear that she sees the field as a meritocracy is far more believable than Mr McIntosh's sock puppet spouting his uninformed tripe about the evil developers are perpetuating.

To paint developers, whom from what i've seen are mostly civilised, creative and frankly liberal individuals, as sexist and repressive has always seemed quite frankly ludicrous to me. If anything the underlying themes of almost all games has been one of undeniable morality, rather than perpetuating the desperately crafted tropes their detractors invent every week. Like Mr Dyack states this is the negative and harmful misrepresentation that may well deter new people from entering this profession.

In my opinion of course.

Tea for the teapot!

To me what was interesting was his comments on Ms Amy Hennig, one of the stalwarts of the industry, and involved in some of the biggest successes of the past twenty years. A woman whom has blazed a trail and yet does not feel that she was at all discriminated against, even though she began working in an era when men were undoubtedly the largest demographic in the field. To hear that she sees the field as a meritocracy is far more believable than Mr McIntosh's sock puppet spouting his uninformed tripe about the evil developers are perpetuating.

To paint developers, whom from what i've seen are mostly civilised, creative and frankly liberal individuals, as sexist and repressive has always seemed quite frankly ludicrous to me. If anything the underlying themes of almost all games has been one of undeniable morality, rather than perpetuating the desperately crafted tropes their detractors invent every week. Like Mr Dyack states this is the negative and harmful misrepresentation that may well deter new people from entering this profession.

In my opinion of course.

Nonek you do realize that just because a particular women hasn't experienced sexism in the  gaming industry that doesn't  mean that sexism doesn't exist in that industry, you know that right?

John Milton 

In my opinion of course.

Nonek you do realize that just because a particular women hasn't experienced sexism in the  gaming industry that doesn't  mean that sexism doesn't exist in that industry, you know that right?

Its not just her though. Jade Raymond said she didn't have much experience with it either, and they are the only established female game devs to have really commented on it. The ones complaining about rampant sexism in the games industry are people who have never held a real game dev job nor produced anything worth a damn. Yes, that doesn't mean there isn't sexism, but if women who have been in the industry for decades haven't had any experiences of note regarding sexism throughout their career, it can't be as rampant as the LW's claim.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Awaiting the "internalized misogyny"-meme....

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

In my opinion of course.

Its not just her though. Jade Raymond said she didn't have much experience with it either, and they are the only established female game devs to have really commented on it. The ones complaining about rampant sexism in the games industry are people who have never held a real game dev job nor produced anything worth a damn. Yes, that doesn't mean there isn't sexism, but if women who have been in the industry for decades haven't had any experiences of note regarding sexism throughout their career, it can't be as rampant as the LW's claim.

I can produce an excellent link that was posted on Polygon that goes into great detail around the systemic sexism that has existed for decades in the gaming industry. This is from the publishers as well. I have posted it before but can post it again ?

Yes its not rampant but it still exists and Nonek was suggesting it doesn't exist. I was challenging that view 

John Milton 

Publishers, yes. Publishers are the problem. I remember that the devs of Remember Me had to fight tooth and nail to get a female lead into their game. The publishers literally said "you can't have a female lead in your game" and kept objecting to things like a female lead kissing another character ("you can't make a dude do that, it'd be weird!") as if only boys played video games.

Jim Sterling had a great video on the subject, I'll try to find it.

But the point is, the image that's created is that development is a boys club ("that's why they never make good female characters!") when literally the marketing and research departments of giant conglomerates constantly veto that stuff - the developers actually want to make more interesting characters. Literally every developer I've ever spoken to in person is tired of the grizzled brown-haired warrior. But instead of attacking Ken Levine because they didn't put Elizabeth on the box of Bioshock Infinite, maybe attack the people who actually have a say in that?

Essentially, as all things wrong with game development, publishers are at the core. It's not even just that they think only boys play video games. Consider the Galbrush Threepwood thing - you give a female character actual flaws and the publishers run screaming for the hills because it might (who am I kidding, will) offend someone. Publishers are risk averse and in the current atmosphere actually putting women in your games is a bigger risk than not doing so.

EDIT: Here's Sterling's video:

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 3

In my opinion of course.

I'm sorry Bruce but i'm going to take the word of a vastly experienced industry veteran over a false narrative published in a gossip blog like Polygon by barely literate, corrupt, pseudo intellectuals. However you are free to believe the opposite and that developers are sexist, racist and what not, and boycott their games as a method of protest. My own experience states that every developer i've met has been quite liberal, usually highly educated or clever, and interested in pleasing their audience rather than harassing women or trying to create a hate group.

Thus i'll state once more that I don't believe that developers are the sexist monsters you would have them be, and that such an attitude is harmful to the industry as a whole, as well as any woman looking to enter it.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

This stupid conversation will never end as long as every individuall thinks his own view is the ultimate truth. To me this is some pseudo fight about authority and not morality at all. It´s just throwing dirt around and LIES about innocent developers. Just be little and good and dont take your self to IMPORTANT!

It would be much more appropriate to name exactly where this happened and if you cannot point out a case dont make one out of nothing!

It´s the same with all the conspiracy theories of a one world order and to many people have written to much wall of text already  and when not important people dont get the recordnition -they stupidly think they deserve they yell around a lot. This is realy simple.

There are no aliens that capture humans btw.

Edited by NWN_babaYaga

More are speaking out since the interview at Nichegamer. 

CF5UFoPW0AAy8O3.jpg

CF5UF5hWAAA2-Jx.jpg

Hear that? It's the sound of the pendelum swinging back to sanity.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Ian Miles Cheong appologized to GamerGate and Gamers in general: http://stillgray.com/post/119992928665/what-games-mean-to-me

Sounds a bit too opportunist to me.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Ian Miles Cheong appologized to GamerGate and Gamers in general: http://stillgray.com/post/119992928665/what-games-mean-to-me

Sounds a bit too opportunist to me.

And thus the my prophesy comes true. 

Me: 3

Nostradamus: still friggin' 0.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.