What's on the idiot box Part 4 (or something)

LadyCrimson

Is it just me or is Arrow just getting worse and worse? At least thye had the brains to remove the get-out-of-death-free-card before overusing it because obviously bye-bye tension if you can just bring everyone back to life.

It is based on comic books. Uncle Ben is the only one safe from resurrection in comics.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Supergirl. It was alright. They jammed way too much into the first 1 hour episode though. Way too many 'twists' already. Some fo which aren't really twists they were spoiled.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

They were in the show? They must have aged poorly b/c I sure as hell didn't recognize it.. or maybe way too many characters that they likely were on the screen for 2 seconds. LMAO

They were very recognizable as old man and old lady Danvers. 

yeah, we got a chuckle when we saw 'em.

am hesitant to mention this, particularly on this board, but we thought the show kinda bludgeoned us with "girl power."  the bad guys (and good guys) were misogynists who refused to take the protagonist serious just 'cause she were a girl... and we had to have characters specific mention that fact 'cause the writers were 'bout as subtle as a hammer blow to the head.

that being said, am admitting that we never much liked supergirl as a character.  the karen starr power girl were kinda fun for a short period o' time.  am thinking we most liked power girl when she weren't doing superhero stuff as the day-to-day difficulties o' trying to keep starrware industries afloat kinda humanized her.  karen starr were quirky. 

y'know, the only supergirl we did like were the paul dini & bruce timm version from justice league and justice league unlimited

regardless, am doubting we watch another episode.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am sure Gromnir were the only one, but it bothered us a great deal that supergirl, after depositing a plane in a river, at night, fled the scene... 'cause is not as if dozens or hundreds o' people could possibly drown in such a situation. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's weird because gender doesn't have anything to do with why I don't take Supergirl seriously.  Much like Robin, it's because she is pretty much a kid version of a much more serious character.  

No one belittles Wonder Woman.  At least, no one that doesn't want to get punched in the mouth.  

• Like 1

I think Supergirl's biggest problem is that no one ever really was able to transition the character out of the 50s.  The 70s and 80s series are unfocused messes and its clear that no one knew what to do with the character.  Its for that reason that they killed her in Crisis on Infinite Earths (which according to DC is one of the 5 top moments for the character; that top 5 also included two moments that actually weren't Kara Zor-El version of Supergirl which was a bit of a headscratcher).

When they finally brought the character back she was a bit of a mary-sue; better at all of her abilities than adult Superman just to show she was really great.

I skipped the pilot because there was one too many reviews that referenced "The Devil Wears Prada" which I kinda got as a potential vibe for the Cat Grant / Linda Danvers working relationship but...kinda not interested in that.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Best Supergirl was the one from Smallville. HOT and her own person.

Also, a  big part of  super hero is the secrets one must tell but it seems every major character but her boss knows her secret. In fact, it took her 30 minutes of the pilot episode to tell the guy who has a crush on her.

As for the girl power thing. I'm not surprised. It's 2015. I wouldnt' expect anything less.

Edited by Volourn

To be fair, the book series started interestingly enough (with a few clichés) but then wandered into the authors personal political diatribe hidden behind fantasy and various deus ex handwavey stuff to fill it out and wrap it up.

The tv show was entertaining enough with just the right touch of camp to the seriousness. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

To be fair, the book series started interestingly enough (with a few clichés) but then wandered into the authors personal political diatribe hidden behind fantasy and various deus ex handwavey stuff to fill it out and wrap it up.

The tv show was entertaining enough with just the right touch of camp to the seriousness. ;)

While his capitalism vs communism stuff was pretty heavy handed, I actually see a lot of Soul of the Fire playing out now adays.

That said I was a huge fan of the books and the hack job they did adapting the show turned me off pretty quickly. Now that I've cooled down though, and with really not much but some concepts and character names taken from the books I wouldn't mind giving it another go.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Wow, that was some good SHIELD. Made me want to re-watch Pitch Black. 

Pretty decent idea for a bottle episode, yeah. Except of course...

Why kill off Trip and then introduce another love interest for Simmons? Come on, give Fitz a break. Poor bastard, back to the friendzone with you.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ash vs Evil Dead.

Groovy. Be interesting to see how this plays out on an episode basis.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."