Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

I think that the twist is: there is no twist

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The Maltese Falcon, a good flick - never really seen much of Bogart's work, but I definitely see what the fuss is about.

Have you tried Casablanca yet?  Depending on the perspective, that's either a film about a tragic love triangle, the underdog in war, or a tale of heart-warming friendship...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Not yet, but it's on the list - purple hair is studying Film and Media, so she has to see all the classic movies, which gives me a perfect opportunity to do so as well. And it's all in the name of supporting your girlfriends education, awesome :)

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Before I saw Casablanca I had seen maybe 3 other black and white movies, all of which were terrible and it made me avoid them. Casablanca was so good it made me start actively seeking out some.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Not yet, but it's on the list - purple hair is studying Film and Media, so she has to see all the classic movies, which gives me a perfect opportunity to do so as well. And it's all in the name of supporting your girlfriends education, awesome :)

Also, I thoroughly advise you to dig up some of the Cary Grant films - both the screwball romance comedies, and the wander into thriller territories.

The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, Charade, North by Northwest, Gunga Din,  Arsenic and Old Lace, and To Catch A Thief stand out.

Edit: Actually, on consideration, I could almost see Rosbjerg pulling off the Cary Grant attitude, style and charm himself...

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Before I saw Casablanca I had seen maybe 3 other black and white movies, all of which were terrible and it made me avoid them. Casablanca was so good it made me start actively seeking out some.

Was Citizen Kane one of them?  :biggrin:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

saw It Follows and was disappointed. it starts off nice, but loses its pace rather early into the movie. the last third is mind numbingly boring

I liked it a lot.  It has a real slow-burn to it, but I thought for a low budget horror it was quite effective.  I thought the idea of the walking menace wouldn't really play and yet...it did for me.  It added a sense of dread just seeing someone walking in the background.

It and Ex Machina were great, I thought, and I was glad to see both get recognition and wider releases.

For my part, I watched Evil Roy Slade:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I liked it a lot.  It has a real slow-burn to it, but I thought for a low budget horror it was quite effective.

that part I actually liked. I didn't like how uneven it was near the end of the movie, where it just starts going in circles and ends nowhere 

Walsingham said:

Saw Touching the Void (2003) - or, "why I'll never personally be interested in extreme mt. climbing."

Then saw part of Jaws 2 - or, "why I'll never personally be interested in water skiing over open ocean."

;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally managed to watch The Imitation Game. Benedict Cumbercatch managed to make a surprisingly interesting portrayal of a brilliant character with (probably) Asperger's syndrome.

Also saw Mockingjay, which felt a little tedious despite all the action.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Yeah, I don't like swimming anywhere I cant see the bottom. There be tentacle monsters down there. :unsure:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Was Citizen Kane one of them? :biggrin:

No, I want to see it eventually though. Mark of Zorro was probably the one I enjoyed most besides Casablanca though

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yeah, I don't like swimming anywhere I cant see the bottom. There be tentacle monsters down there. :unsure:

The Cthulhu variety or the Japanese one? 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Jem was one of those cartoons I only watched if there were no other good options (yay for no cable) but besides the names and maybe the makeup this seems way different from what I remember

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

They don't have the Misfits or the sci-fi elements, which is 2/3rds of Jem. What's the point?

Devastatorsig.jpg

Reminds me of years ago vacationing in Crete. We had decided to swim towards an island visible from the tourist trap beach resort we were in because well, it was a challenge. The bottom was partially visible most of the way , seaweed and vegetation on the bottom and lots of.. shadows. At the mid point when the way back and the way forward was about the same distance someone decides to bring upo whether there were sharks in the miditerranean, being from the frozen north not something that was common knowledge. 

Entirely ruined the rest of that swim.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

What's this that i've been hearing about Mad Max being a sidekick in his own movie? True/false?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I haven't seen the movies since i was a kid, so i do not remember much except awesome explosions. I just felt that it sounded quite odd to put a main character in the background.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They don't have the Misfits or the sci-fi elements, which is 2/3rds of Jem. What's the point?

Yeah...a little dissapointed.  I've already seen the Josie and the Pussycats film.

What's this that i've been hearing about Mad Max being a sidekick in his own movie? True/false?

I don't know, not seeing the movie, but there was originally a plan to do an animated movie called Furiosa that would have been about Charlize Theron's character, primarily.  Some people have assumed this is a live action version of that script, but I've been told it isn't, that that story would have been a prequel to this one.

But until I see it, can't say how the film actually shapes up.