Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Avengers Age of Ultron.

Honestly, it's pretty much a rehash of the first movie with Ultron and robots substituted for Loki and aliens. Decent enough spectacle, but very light on substance.

In my opinion it's much better than avengers 1. Here's why:

1: Less arguing and more fighting. Super Hero movies are not smart. I don't want to choke down like forty straight minuets of bad exposition. I just want to see guys with powers beat people up; Avengers 2 get's this, and has more action through out to keep me entertained.

2: While the plot isn't "good" (not that a super hero movie even really needs one), it is still better than the story of the first one. 

3: The fights with Ultron are waaay better than the fight(s?) with Loki (if you even consider the Hulk slamming Loki over and over a fight).

I think avengers 1 is a 3/5, and avengers 2 is a 4/5.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Avengers Age of Ultron.

Honestly, it's pretty much a rehash of the first movie with Ultron and robots substituted for Loki and aliens. Decent enough spectacle, but very light on substance.

In my opinion it's much better than avengers 1. Here's why:

1: Less arguing and more fighting. Super Hero movies are not smart. I don't want to choke down like forty straight minuets of bad exposition. I just want to see guys with powers beat people up; Avengers 2 get's this, and has more action through out to keep me entertained.

2: While the plot isn't "good" (not that a super hero movie even really needs one), it is still better than the story of the first one. 

3: The fights with Ultron are waaay better than the fight(s?) with Loki (if you even consider the Hulk slamming Loki over and over a fight).

I think avengers 1 is a 3/5, and avengers 2 is a 4/5.

Given this analysis, how would you rate Watchmen? It should pretty much be the worst superhero movie ever heh

Fortune favors the bald.

Watchmen has a very strong base, the original comic book is terrific. the movie itself could've been better, but it's definitely not the worst superhero movie. actually, I like it more than most recent Marvel and DC movies. the new Avengers are better IMO, but in contrast the source material for them is complete ****e, so it's saved by craftsmanship 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The problem with Watchmen is that it's too loyal to the comic book, ironically. The pacing that works for a comic book is not neccesarily the pacing that works for a movie and Watchmen proved that. I'd much rather have seen a movie loyal to the spirit of the comic book than one to the letter.

• Like 2

The problem with Watchmen is that it's too loyal to the comic book, ironically. The pacing that works for a comic book is not neccesarily the pacing that works for a movie and Watchmen proved that. I'd much rather have seen a movie loyal to the spirit of the comic book than one to the letter.

True, but at least some quotes were fun to see on the big screen:

• Like 4

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Eichmann Show.

BBC dramatization of the Eichmann trial - When Adolf Eichmann was captured and taken to Israel to be held accountable for planning the final solution - as shown from the perspective of the producer and director of the television documentary following it.  Martin Freeman and Anthony Lepaglia playing those parts respectively, along with a strong supporting cast. It follows the initial struggles as they try to get permission from Israel and the judges of the trial to have cameras there, and the issues with the networks. The daily footage of the trial is generally considered to be the first global television documentary.

Starts slowly, but when the trial begins they blend in actual footage from the events, especially with the witness accounts, and those pile on the feels. Kind of highlights how so many people, even large swathes of the jewish population in Israel, didn't really believe the holocaust happened and how the trials global nature and show on television changed that perspective.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched Age of Ultron which was... what I expected. Fun, but not groundbreaking. Couple of odd moments, couple of awesome moments. It's a great movie yet it feels a bit lacking because it doesn't live up to its promise, despite all the things it did deliver.

You mean the awesome thing about Watchmen, right?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

No, that movie proved without a doubt that an adaptation should be just that, adapted, and not straight up copied. The pacing doesn't work. Its scene-to-scene loyalty makes the movie an incredibly boring slog to sit through. I have literally used it as a sleep aid when I have insomnia. This despite the fact that I love the comic book, which is essentially the same in most places.

Edited by TrueNeutral
rephrased

I took the whole family to see Avengers 2.  I was worried about my 5 year old getting through it, but he absolutely loves the Avengers and I figured it was worth it.  He did ask if we could go home about halfway through, but then the action started up and he was happy again.  My 8-year old did great.  It was fun and was more action-y than violent, which I expected after seeing the first one.  I'd call it a pretty safe family movie.

James Spader made the film for me.  I've been watching a lot of The Blacklist, so it was hard not to picture Reddington a bit, but Ultron is one of the better villains I've seen.  Big upgrade from Loki.  Although now I really need to see Captain America 2 and Thor 2.  I'm way behind.

• Like 1

I took the whole family to see Avengers 2.  I was worried about my 5 year old getting through it, but he absolutely loves the Avengers and I figured it was worth it.  He did ask if we could go home about halfway through, but then the action started up and he was happy again.  My 8-year old did great.  It was fun and was more action-y than violent, which I expected after seeing the first one.  I'd call it a pretty safe family movie.

James Spader made the film for me.  I've been watching a lot of The Blacklist, so it was hard not to picture Reddington a bit, but Ultron is one of the better villains I've seen.  Big upgrade from Loki.  Although now I really need to see Captain America 2 and Thor 2.  I'm way behind.

Watch CA2 before Thor2 for better context on Avengers. CA 2 is where Shield gets shut down.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

No, that movie proved without a doubt that an adaptation should be just that, adapted, and not straight up copied. The pacing doesn't work. Its scene-to-scene loyalty makes the movie an incredibly boring slog to sit through. I have literally used it as a sleep aid when I have insomnia. This despite the fact that I love the comic book, which is essentially the same in most places.

Batman Begins is the most loyal to the Batman comics and one of the best comic book movies imo. A lot of Batman Begins is scene to scene from the comic book.

Rorschach basically made The Watchman movie, for me. That guy was great.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Watchmen director's cut is much better, if only for Hollis Mason's murder scene.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just couldn't take the naked glowing neon-blue guy seriously. I've read the comic (I read it after I saw the movie, however) and it obviously works much better in that format. In the film it was just goofy most of the time. I did like the movie overall, better than many I suppose.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Batman Begins is the most loyal to the Batman comics and one of the best comic book movies imo. A lot of Batman Begins is scene to scene from the comic book.

Well, not exactly. It doesn't take a specific comic book and just try to turn that into a movie step by step. It has a lot of scenes that Batman has had at certain points, a lot of them even in the same set of books, but they're switched around and edited to fit into a tightly paced movie with a (mostly) well-told story. Which is the point I'm trying to make - what you really want from an adaptation is that it's loyal to the spirit rather than the letter. Watchmen wasn't really adapted to be a movie, it was just somebody filming using the comic book as a shooting script.

• Like 2

Thor 2 isn't really neccesary, but Captain America 2 is fantastic.

Thor 2 sucked compared to the first one, as for Captain America both were kind of ok. Guess you need to be an American to dig captain America.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Captain America 1 was okay, just a bit of Superhero Indiana Jonesing with a pretty exaggerated adventure movie view of WWII. Captain America 2 on the other hand kinda bashed America more than this forum does - all the threats come from inside.

Also, I'm not American.

Captain America 1 was okay, just a bit of Superhero Indiana Jonesing with a pretty exaggerated adventure movie view of WWII. Captain America 2 on the other hand kinda bashed America more than this forum does - all the threats come from inside.

Also, I'm not American.

True, true, though there is still that patriotic undertone (murica rulez), but then again that is present in almost all marvel movies. Still captain America kind of oozes it. I agree with you that the second one was better then the first one, but that still didn't make it better then ok, at least for me.

The second one doesn't feel that way to me. In fact, that entire movie can be summed up with "America sure ain't what it used to be" with allegorical criticism of corrupt politicians, America's status as "world police", the fall of SHIELD as analogue to the hidden evil in the CIA and NSA and it even pokes a stick at drone warfare on steroids.

For me personally i'd rather see a sequel to Dredd than a dozen more Marvel films.

• Like 6

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I didn't get patriotic undertones from Winter Soldier. If anything, it felt like an attack on organizations like the NSA.

Better than Thor 2 at any rate, which was just bad.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The second one doesn't feel that way to me. In fact, that entire movie can be summed up with "America sure ain't what it used to be" with allegorical criticism of corrupt politicians, America's status as "world police", the fall of SHIELD as analogue to the hidden evil in the CIA and NSA and it even pokes a stick at drone warfare on steroids.

But in the middle of it all there shines a true American hero who never falters from his ideals, so all of that is ok, because if the system does come crashing down he will be there to save us.

As I said, most of marvels movies are like that and captain America even more so, because he is...well captain America.

This is my, probably colored, opinion.

For me personally i'd rather see a sequel to Dredd than a dozen more Marvel films.

QFT

Edited by Sarex