Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

What was that Twilight Zone with Burgess Meredith as a librarian? Set in some kind of totalitarian regime, very stark expressionist cinematography.

Rather good if I remember correctly.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

"The Obsolete Man" (Season 2 Epi 29) - Totalitarian government that has outlawed books declares that Merideth's character (a librarian and a deist) obsolete and plans to execute him.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That was it, thank you.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Some of you guys may have seen this, the recently restored 1980 Fantasy short film Black Angel. It played before Empire Strikes Back in movie theatres. After that, it disappeared and the negatives were lost. Somehow they turned up again and the director restored it:

I didn't think it was great, but it had beautiful locations. Some old school fantasy stuff. Reminded me a little of Excalibur.

And a new https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/black-angel-a-fantasy-feature-film#/story indiegogo campaign is up to try and get a feature produced.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't know how I feel about this yet

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson to Star in ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ Remake

rock-big-trouble-little-china.jpg

EDIT- So emotionally confused that I forgot to include the link

I think Dwayne Johnson is charismatic and funny.

But I worry that - as he's a fairly big action star - the plan is to make him the action star of the movie. One of the best things about the original is that for all of Jack Burton's macho posturing, Wang Chi and Egg Shen were 1000 times more competent. Yeah there's a reason he's there and ultimately gets things right (its all in the reflexes) but...I have a feeling that a remake made carelessly will have none of the charm of the original.

I think Dwayne Johnson is charismatic and funny.

But I worry that - as he's a fairly big action star - the plan is to make him the action star of the movie. One of the best things about the original is that for all of Jack Burton's macho posturing, Wang Chi and Egg Shen were 1000 times more competent. Yeah there's a reason he's there and ultimately gets things right (its all in the reflexes) but...I have a feeling that a remake made carelessly will have none of the charm of the original.

Exactly, part of the fun was that Jack Burton believes he's the hero, when he's just the sidekick. While from everything I've seen suggests that Dwayne Johnson would have fun playing that, whether the studios would actually allow a "major" action star to have that role is another thing. I would half expect them to shift it so that he becomes the actual hero of the story, with Wang Chi as the plucky sidekick.  And that would be disappointing.

Although that news has made me listen/watch to this again :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiAbDkXDgg

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hopefully will be able to watch this soon:

Mad Max Fury Road - hot damn what a ride. It gets a little boring in the middle, but then it picks right up again. Gotta love a movie that dares to be limited by what it is and then excel at it.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I do.

tumblr_inline_mqhj1iqVts1qz4rgp.gif

I like The Rock, but there can only be one Jack Burton.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Some of you guys may have seen this, the recently restored 1980 Fantasy short film Black Angel. It played before Empire Strikes Back in movie theatres. After that, it disappeared and the negatives were lost. Somehow they turned up again and the director restored it:

I didn't think it was great, but it had beautiful locations. Some old school fantasy stuff. Reminded me a little of Excalibur.

And a new https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/black-angel-a-fantasy-feature-film#/story indiegogo campaign is up to try and get a feature produced.

And John Rhys-Davies and Rutger Hauer have been cast. Cool.

• Like 1

Watched San Andreas yesterday. Well what started as a promising disaster movie, soon became an awful, nonsensical, cliche, CGI fest.

Thats really all it has going for it, the CGI is well done. Not even the Rock could save this movie, nor could Alexandra Daddario, who i really like but she is too old to be the Rocks daughter, it just isn´t believable. Stupid stuff like basicly ignoring millions of dead, dialogue no person would ever say, the worst forced love story and the forced characterisation that comes from it just made me hate this movie.

And the ending with the stupid flag and the "we will rebuild everything" crap just made me walk out of the cinema in anger. Waste of money.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Not even the Rock could save this movie, nor could Alexandra Daddario, who i really like but she is too old to be the Rocks daughter, it just isn´t believable.

Weird that there's an issue with Dwayne Johnson and Daddario's respective ages (Johnson is 14 years older than Daddario) but not Gugino's and Daddarios (15 years and assuming Daddarios is playing Gugino's and Johnson's characters child)

Edited by Amentep

The Company of Wolves by Neil Jordan.

A werewolf movie with what I think is a feminist twist, with the female protagonist in her blood red hood of course, wandering off the path into the wild Wald, and embracing her own wild nature and budding sexuality. Which is equal to the men who have embraced their wild nature, and are demonised by the villagers living in the midst of the Wald. It's quite beautifully shot, and is set in the dreamworld of a young girl coming into womanhood. The narrative progresses in an interesting way, mainly relying on storytelling, with an exemplary performance by Angela Lansbury as a formidable old matriarch. Very symbolic imagery throughout.

Lovely German and Belgian shepard dogs used throughout in the place of the obligatory wolves.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

Not even the Rock could save this movie, nor could Alexandra Daddario, who i really like but she is too old to be the Rocks daughter, it just isn´t believable.

Weird that there's an issue with Dwayne Johnson and Daddario's respective ages (Johnson is 14 years older than Daddario) but not Gugino's and Daddarios (15 years and assuming Daddarios is playing Gugino's and Johnson's characters child)

Maybe it´s just me, but yes she plays their child and i would also not believe that she is Calra Gugino´s daugther. She is just to grown up, sure she looks great and younger then her real age (almost 30 now damn) but i would have gone for a real teenager.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Rented Jupiter Ascending last night.

Not bad actually. My two biggest issues is that the soundtrack was terribly generic and the action scenes went on too long. A minor complaint that the leads jump to romance a little too quickly and have no real chemistry, too, but like I care about that in an action film.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."