Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

Doom is a blogger. Thats enough for me to skip it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

And on film news.. Variety - Disney pulls the plug on Tron 3

Disney decided to put the brakes on development of  “Tron 3,” the latest installment of the cult favorite that originated in the 1980s, because the studio could not find a place on its crowded slate as it looked all the way into 2018, according to an executive at the studio.

The team that had been coming together to make the film got word Friday that Hollywood’s top studio would not go ahead with the film in the foreseeable future, despite the franchise’s popularity and the fact that the 2010 version “Tron: Legacy” made nearly $400 million worldwide at the box office.

“We had never greenlit the movie, but it was in development for some time,” said one Disney executive, discussing the sensitive decision to table the project. “Things in the queue got ahead of it and we have such a big slate out in front of it, we started to think, ‘Where does it go?’ And it’s a pretty big investment to make if you are not even sure when you are going to release it.”

Disney was hoping to make the third “Tron” film for about the cost of the second, which had a budget of $170 million. It was expected that “Tron: Legacy” director Joseph Kosinki would return to direct a new film, with Olivia Wilde and Garrett Hedlund to star. Preliminary preparations had been made in anticipation of filming in Vancouver, Canada.

When Disney looked out at its release horizon, though, it did not see a likely spot for the new “Tron” film.  Walt Disney Pictures already has “Jungle Book,” another “Pirates of the Caribbean”  installment, “Alice in Wonderland, “Pete’s Dragon” and “Beauty and the Beast.” And that’s not to mention other highly-anticipated projects, like director Tim Burton’s “Dumbo,” and a raft of mega-pics that are on the way from Disney’s premium-label subsidiaries — Pixar, Lucasfilm and Marvel.

There had been sufficient reporting about the film’s early development and buzz on fanboy sites that some observers had assumed Disney had given a formal greenlight to the production, but it never had. “I think it could resurface at some point but it’s not going to get the go button right now,” said another individual familiar with the project.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Tim Burton's Dumbo, lol. What animal will Johnny Depp be playing, I wonder? :)

• Like 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Zero Theorem.

It's a Terry Gilliam film. Through and through.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Maybe I would run Disney into the ground, but I would think Tron 3 would be a better bet than a live action Dumbo.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

A live action Dumbo directed by Tim Burton, no less. I'm surprised Disney wanted more from him after the disaster that was Alice...but what do I know? :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Burton's Alice in Wonderland made over a billion dollars worldwide. I think it's an absolutely terrible film, but there's no doubt that it was extremely succesful from Disney's point of view.

More proof there is no God.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I think Alice has been the last Buron movie I am ever going to watch. This movie is... it's so bad. I regret the time wasted on this.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Burton's Alice in Wonderland made over a billion dollars worldwide. I think it's an absolutely terrible film, but there's no doubt that it was extremely succesful from Disney's point of view.

I don't understand how it did: it wasn't even rated well. It was so bad...I didn't even realize until now there was another being made...

I think you guys are missing who the target audience is for these movies.  Alice and Wonderland and Dumbo are going to make money because they are primarily geared towards children.  Tron is not quite as kid friendly of an IP.  

As an aside, my two young children loved the newer Alice.  I tried to get them into original animated one instead, but the prefer the Burton version.  What can you do?  They don't have the same context as us.  

f3c1a9018d18cb4746e156875c04081c.jpg

• Like 7

Adults are usually wrong. It is adults who  are more likely to be pro slavery than children. :) Same with murder, rape, theft, etc., etc.

Children > Adult

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think you're wrong there. Children want everything done for them without payment, so they're pro slavery. Most kids are a-ok with taking what doesn't belong to them, even after repeatedly being told its wrong, so they're little thieves. Constantly telling other kids they're going to kill them, so pro murder. Rape yeah, thats an adult one.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

That's fine, I guess, no TRON 3. I adore Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleitner is a favorite, and literally I've watched Legacy 46 times (because, sound design and Ducati) ... but faith in the director just isn't there, for me.   

All Stop. On Screen.

Ex Machina. Recommend it. Robots and AI. Stunningly beautiful movie. Bit of suspense, bit of thrill in it.

If you're in the mood for it, it really gets you analyzing the moral complexities of AI. It's got a good plot and some nicely crafted characters, but the way I experienced the movie, it's all about the moral implications of AI. Some really big ideas in this movie. What does it mean to be a human? Is there something about being self-awarene that puts us above other forms of life/consciousness? Would machine/human love be morally legit, or a form of slavery?

Camera work is excellent and overall it's a very aesthetically pleasing movie to watch, probably the most 'modern' looking film I've seen. So if you're not crazy about philosophy/futurology, it's still highly watchable.

So this looks hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLGFwkRx2HA

Hey, the 90's are back!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN (1969 aka Doppelgänger) - Roy Thinnes and Ian Hendry are sent to investigate a new planet found in synchronous orbit with Earth - but opposite it from the sun.  There they find a mirror world of the earth.  Produced by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, elements and themes from the TV shows UFO and SPACE: 1999 are on display (as are several cast members who end up in UFO - George Sewell, Ed Bishop and Vladek Sheybal off the top of my head).  The model work is excellent - in some case hard to tell as models (in others...not so much). The big problem is the end of the movie which is in no way satisfying.  The logic stated in the interviews with Anderson (that when one meets their Doppelganger it is right before their death) ultimately makes no sense (because none of the characters involved actually meet their own doppleganger) and basically feels like a nice big middle finger to the audience who'd invested the last 90 minutes investing themselves in the characters.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN (1969 aka Doppelgänger) - Roy Thinnes and Ian Hendry are sent to investigate a new planet found in synchronous orbit with Earth - but opposite it from the sun.  There they find a mirror world of the earth.  Produced by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, elements and themes from the TV shows UFO and SPACE: 1999 are on display (as are several cast members who end up in UFO - George Sewell, Ed Bishop and Vladek Sheybal off the top of my head).  The model work is excellent - in some case hard to tell as models (in others...not so much). The big problem is the end of the movie which is in no way satisfying.  The logic stated in the interviews with Anderson (that when one meets their Doppelganger it is right before their death) ultimately makes no sense (because none of the characters involved actually meet their own doppleganger) and basically feels like a nice big middle finger to the audience who'd invested the last 90 minutes investing themselves in the characters.

That sounds a whole lot like a Twilight Zone episode...:p ...Well, actually, it sounds like a combination of TWO different Twilight Zone episodes, if I recall correctly: one that involves doppelgangers taking over the characters' lives in suspicious circumstances, and one where the characters are on some strangely similar yet different version of Earth for some reason or another. The crazy things and ideas some of these old sci-fi shows/movies had...

A really good Alfred Hitch**** Presents about dopplegangers is THE STRANGE CASE OF MR. PELHAM.  It was adapted into the Roger Moore movie THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF (1970) which is good but not as good as the series episode IMO.

One of the TWILIGHT ZONES you mention is "Mirror Image" (Season 1, episode 21 - A lady finds the people at a Bus Station all act as if she's been there before) and I think "Death Ship" (Ep6, Season 4 - the crew of a spaceship find a duplicate of them and their spaceship on another planet) is the other. 

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The first one is definitely right, because, for some reason, whenever there's a Twilight Zone marathon on, they ALWAYS show that one, without fail - must've had good ratings when it originally aired - so I definitely remember the dumb bus station...and the second one seems about right, too. :)