Character Race  

136 members have voted

1. 1. What race will you play with first in PoE?

• Aumaua
    • Dwarf
    • Elf
    • Godlike
    • Human
    • Orlan
  2. 2. In RPGs, do you ever play with the dimunative races? (halfing, gnome etc.)

• Never
    • Only if I have a party of 6 to work with
    • I might role one for a main character
    • Often

I like small characters, and would play Dwarf in this game. But Godlike have better racials currently, and you can pick any size. So I'll probably be a Godlike of some sort with the Dwarf size. If Dwarves got better racials at some point though, I'd definitely go Mountain Dwarf.

Orlan are neat, but I don't like that their lifespan is shorter than humans, and they're too ...wild for me. I like the industrial, undergroundyness of dwarves.

I gotta admit, I've got a fetish for humans. There's just something sexy about them that makes me wanna roleplay, if you know what I mean. :dancing:

In all seriousness though, I'm not imaginative enough to identify with something that I'm not, so it's humans - humans everywhere for me.

Ill be playing whatever race that gives a bonus to whatever class I decide to play as my main.

This.

In terms of the smaller races ... typically I don't choose one as my main, possibly because I'm very short myself and I'd rather fantasy-play someone who isn't, haha. ;) But I like having them in my party and eventually, if I replay enough times, I eventually get around to choosing one as the main.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Playing the BB I have tried the different races depending on the class I wish to try.  So far I actually don't have a favorite race.  In the BG games I usually favored Half Elf.  In IWD games the one race I did not choose was human.  

I am thinking of starting PoE with a Elf Cipher but may change my mind.  I also like the monk class and find the ranger interesting when played as a board and sword type.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I always go elf first. But not really in that "OMG ELVES ARE ULTIMATE COOL AND OTHER RACES SUCK!" way or anything. It's more just because I started out in D&D as an Elven Wizard, and to keep me from spending any more time than I already do at character creation. I look through the other options, briefly, but I've kinda already decided "Gonna go with an Elf Wizard, or the closest thing to that depending on the game."

Thing is, the differing races have to be interesting enough to me for me to actually try them out in a replay. I mean, the game does, too, but, assuming it is, there are plenty of races I've just not felt were distinctive enough (or wouldn't offer me a significant difference in playthrough) to warrant another replay.

When I do replay, though, I try to kill two birds with one stone: completely different race, and completely different class.

I'm weird, though. I also love to make contra-trope characters. That's one of the things I love about a lack of weapon restrictions, etc. I always start with an Elven Wizard, but I like to make him non-cliche. Maybe he wields a kusarigama, and gave up some of his magic-boosting feats to be actually-pretty-proficient with that weapon. Maybe he has (in PoE's context) tons of Mechanic skill, instead of the typical Lore and academic knowledge Wizards often possess. That sort of thing. I also love making brutish Wizards (full-orc Wizard? YEAH!), and Hafling/Elven fighters and such.

I can't help but play with all the possibilities. :)

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Going with a Nature Godlike first, probably with elf parentage.

So many people voting for human, though. I'm kind of disappointed. Not that I have anything against humans, some of my best friends are human, but they're already everywhere. Almost every game out there forces you to play human. I'd have thought that people would've got a bit tired of all humans all the time and choose something different in those rare cases the opportunity presents itself.

• Like 2

As much as I really like the idea of being a Godlike born to Elves with some interesting powers, I'll likely go as a Human on my first play-through. The idea of being a Barbarian from the Living Lands is too appealing to do anything else. I very rarely play Dwarves. I have before, even as my main character, but I never finished that campaign of BG2. It really seems like something about the troupe of Dwarves is kinda played out. I suppose a lot of people like Colin McComb feel the same way about Elves (or Halflings/Gnomes for that matter), but I'm not one of them. I may end up playing a Dwarf, if only because I love Dwarf Fortress so much. Urst Kuletborik will save the land with his mighty axe, or at least die trying.

Edited by .Leif.

Ill be playing whatever race that gives a bonus to whatever class I decide to play as my main.

This.

In terms of the smaller races ... typically I don't choose one as my main, possibly because I'm very short myself and I'd rather fantasy-play someone who isn't, haha. ;) But I like having them in my party and eventually, if I replay enough times, I eventually get around to choosing one as the main.

In my latest play through I was a Cipher and chose a Death Godlike because I thought it looked cool. A few screen later when I was distributing my attribute points I noticed that the Death Godlike racial bonuses didn't align with the little stars that the character sheet recommends so I backed out of the creation process and chose a Hearth Orlan. :lol:

I like the little guys-- I've actually got a Gnomish character going in a rather intermittent PnP campaign right now. 

As for PoE, I appreciate the ways that Obsidz is trying to mix up some of the cliches, but Elves and Dwarves remain rather boring to me.  I was never a fan of the D&D planetouched.  Humans probably make for a nice blank slate in jumping into a faction-heavy game in a new setting as this seems likely to be, but I think I might go for an Aumaua, just to be wacky. 

Edited by Enoch

I think I play an wood elf cipher in PoE. The first time I play on normal because I want to role play and I don´t need an optimized char for hard combat. ( And I have no idea what optimized means when I play it the first time).

simple equation (mathematically not really correct):

elf = fighter/mage

cipher = fighter/mage

elf = good bow user

About small chars: Usually I do not have them, but when I played BGT last time, I was a gnome fighter/illusionist.

Maybe I play an Orlan later. When I saw them the first time I thought: "Cool, I can play as goblin!"

I'm trying to pick between an orlan or elf barbarian. My heart is telling me pale elf, but my head is telling me that the hearth orlan bonus is too good not to get.

I'd be very surprised if the Hearth Orlan bonus isn't nerfed to hell and back before release, though. Either way, I'd really go for roleplay rather than anything else. A Pale Elf Barbarian sounds awesome and a really nice contrast to the impression I've gotten of Pale Elves so far. Go for it.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

I myself am either going to play a human mercenary sea folk fighter, probably from the deadfire archipelago.  Or I will be a human wander meadowfolk cipher from Aedyr.  Haven't totally decided yet.

I'll probably play as a wood elf first time as the +5 bonus to ranged accuracy is rather useful for a Wizard.

Though I am very tempted to play a fire focused Fire Godlike Wizard with a lot of fire spells and the Scion of Fire talent just from a role playing perspective.

• Like 1

Human or Human-Godlike, depending on what the godlikes are like.

as for short stuff, i make one when i play something like IWD where i can make a party of 6. a halfling makes for a great thief and a dwarf is great for fighter

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I almost always play as a human as I find it easier to get into character.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.