RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

#nippon #inclusivity #gamergate

I'll wait for a PC release together with the Nip-slip DLC.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Notch will leave Mojang, if that's the case. He said so yesterday. And nope, he's getting richer by the second. He bought the most expensive flat in Stockholm's fanciest area recently. Odd fact, he was a game dev at King as well, so he's a hand in that huge Candy Crush success as well. He's got the Midas touch, but for games.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Microsoft buying Mojang could potentially have positive effects on Minecraft. While Notch hit a gold mine with his game idea, I don't think he is much of a coder. Minecraft has awful engine and it suffers from that even today. With some help from Microsoft they just might be able to do something about that. Full mod API would be welcome too.

I heard exactly the opposite, that's he's a terrific coder, and it's his only strength. go figure

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

There are many myths about it. Let's just say he's good enough, apparently. It was his job before his huge success, and when Minecraft took off, he handed over the company management stuff to others, and kept on going as a coder in Mojang.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I heard exactly the opposite, that's he's a terrific coder, and it's his only strength. go figure

Hehe, well, I don't know Notch or anything about him for sure but seems to me anyone who would think that knows even less than me  :)

He did imagine up a game that is apparently the third most sold game in the world ever after all, and it sure didn't accomplish that with it's amazing engine. Hell, it was a massive success despite having a not so great engine.

Edited by Slinky

It also hits that sweet spot of having all ages as a target group: children, teens, young adults, middle-aged parents, even older peeps. It's overwhelmingly cute, creative and immersive.

And it's basically a Lego MMO. He figured out a winning formula before Lego Group did, and I'm sure someone over there is annoyed they didn't think of that sooner
  • Like 1

Strip them to their underwear and give them katanas and cowboy hat.

..honestly prefer that over the "our characters are over-sexualized or constantly upskirted for a really good plot-reason"- balderdash.

Besides, I will simply have to argue that: breasts.

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

It also hits that sweet spot of having all ages as a target group: children, teens, young adults, middle-aged parents, even older peeps. It's overwhelmingly cute, creative and immersive.

And it's basically a Lego MMO. He figured out a winning formula before Lego Group did, and I'm sure someone over there is annoyed they didn't think of that sooner

Wasn't there lego games before? I remember that I've seen such "build whatever you want" stuff before Minecraft.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Wasn't there lego games before? I remember that I've seen such "build whatever you want" stuff before Minecraft.

Yes! In a way. There were themed Lego builders, like a knight and castle theme, a city traffic theme, etc. And there you could put out a few moving objects, build your own houses, and so forth, but there was nearly no gameplay (often that occurred in the tutorials).

Humanoid: The first times I played Minecraft, I was actually a bit scared. I played survival mode and on hard. I actually play horror games and Dead Space and stuff pretty fine, but it was almost scarier than that. And there was also a psychopath running around in Minecraft alpha/early beta: Herobrine. *shudder*

I'm a bit of a chicken in general, something like Bloodlines is probably my limit, but then it's always been a bit odd to me that it could be considered a horror game: I don't consider it one when the player is the one playing the monster.

Minecraft, I'm mainly unnerved by the possibility that for any given block that I dig through, there might be a dozen spiders behind it out for my blood. I'm very, very vulnerable to jump scares.

The eel in Mario 64 still haunts me to this day.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I am now waiting for the first public Oculus Rift release, then I'll try to play some Minecraft again. Kinda tensed already. :>

PS: You can hear the spiders already long before you see them. Also if you place enough light in caves, etc. they won't spawn (that was the case the last time I played it, though).

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, but if you're digging and hear some noises, the game's audio isn't really such that you can really place where they are. Do I keep digging forwards, or do I go around the side? So I mostly stayed close to home where I know everything had been secured. I'd make the worst explorer.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Also if you place enough light in caves, etc. they won't spawn (that was the case the last time I played it, though).

It has always been like that, hasn't it? Hostile mobs do not spawn on well light areas. There is a handy button that shows where enemies can and can't spawn, been a while but I think it was one of the F buttons. Very handy when making areas safe.

@Humanoid: You could put the game on peaceful to remove enemies from the game when you are digging around if needed :)

Edited by Slinky

Haha, well I went with it anyway for a while, but pretty rapidly ran out of motivation since there was little else obvious once you'd made a decent house and a self-sustaining farm. I guess building for its own sake has never been a particular ambition of mine, so it was all "that's it then?"

I like Lego, but give me a bucket full of random assorted Lego pieces and I likely won't do anything with them.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

That's where mods come in, with a good set of mods you really realize how little there is to do in vanilla Minecraft. Machines! Magic! Ballistic missiles and nuclear bombs! Intergalactic exploration! But since the game doesn't have a good mod API, modding it can be a pain in the arse and ready mod packs tend to be constantly lagging behind the current Minecraft version.