Wasteland 2 Kickstarted

I started a new game since the "gold" release. Going to try Ag Center this time since everyone at Ranger Citadel bitches at you if you save the town full of water in the middle of the Arizona ****ing desert.

People will complain either way.

What do you mean supremely under-optimized. Asking for a friend.

e.g. I didn't bump up awareness for my sniper. Two shotgunners. No one has toaster repair.

no toaster repair for us. 

starting four were a face-man who sucks at combat and has few ap, so we gave him hand guns. our sniper were co 4, lk 3, aw 8, st 1, sp 4, in 4, ch 4 with 7 ap and ci 15. remaining two is shot guns and assault rifle for their main weapons. am complete dependent on a joinable npc for med skills, even so, we didn't believe toasters were worth saving given how many other skills we had prioritized. heck, am gonna want/need some energy weapons skill at some point, but we got no idea where we is gonna cram that skill into our group.

am kinda holding off playing further till some bugs is fixed.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

e.g. I didn't bump up awareness for my sniper. Two shotgunners. No one has toaster repair.

forgot to mention, if you do end up editing your save, skills have values that are multiples of 3: to have Toaster Repair at 4 in the game you need to set its value to 12 in the file

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"It's going to take some time to recover" .. is perfectly fine 6 min later haha.

I actually wish some of those were permanent until you got healed or treated by a doctor and even then maybe it took 2 days of game time before the effect would wear off.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

"It's going to take some time to recover" .. is perfectly fine 6 min later haha.

I actually wish some of those were permanent until you got healed or treated by a doctor and even then maybe it took 2 days of game time before the effect would wear off.

On the flip side, a concussion should have been a timed injury.  Not 150 or 300 or whatever seconds, but one where you have to go onto the world map and travel for maybe 7 days or so for it to go away.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, I'm making my way through the Canyon of Titan.  

I've only scratched the surface of the place, just made it to checkpoint 1 (well, snuck past a bit beyond it to kill some raiders so that I could get Rose up a level and get the speech skill necessary to talk Ralphy's pops off the proverbial ledge then backtracked).  I've been thinking about the situation here and I think I'm going to help the Diamondback "Militia", to some degree, anyway.  I think those guys are raiders and once they take over they will fleece travelers significantly worse than the monks, but it's still preferable to the alternatives.  I can't just leave things as they are with the monks in charge.  Those guys are a fanatical cult full of lunatic suicide bombers, and they're in possession of an ICBM with a live nuclear warhead.  That's a catastrophe just begging to happen.  I'm convinced it's not an if, it's a when will they set the nuke off.  No matter what else happens, I have to make sure to disarm that nuke, and permanently.  The thought of a bunch of raiders in possession of a nuke isn't much more comforting than the thought of a lunatic suicide cult being in possession of a nuke.  Killing off both sides might not be the best way to go either.  If I do that then a bunch of different raider (under no pretenses) will vie for control of the place and travelers will not only get fleeced, they'll likely get killed too sometimes.  At least with the "militia" in charge, they will hopefully keep the area in order under pretense of being lawmen, and while they'll likely fleece the **** out of travelers, that still seems better than the alternative.  The ideal situation would be for the Rangers to take over the place, but I don't think that's realistic.  The Canyon is way too far away from the Citadel to keep control of.  Taking back over the Prison would provide an ideal location to patrol from, but I'm not sure if the Rangers have the manpower to split their force between two bases of operation, nor do I know if they have the necessary radiation suits to travel between the Prison and the Canyon.  Of course, plenty is subject to change as I go deeper into the Canyon.  It will be fun to see how this plays out.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hey man, Rangers like their veggies.  They are trying to maintain a balanced diet full of important vitamins and antioxidants.  :grin:

I'd suggest the rangers take over the new ghost town of Highwater, except they're astoundingly incompetent so they'd probably start ****ting in the water supply and all die of cholera.

Considering how they dealt with Ace's mishap, it's clear that these are not the heroes Arizona deserves.

Hey, corpse retrieval unit, the vital mission equipment is like 15 meters away in a cave whose gravest threat is a large frog

Edited by AGX-17

I'm getting real sick of the combat, every single encounter is the exact same regardless if I face animals, raiders or robots. I pick a place as far back as I can with some cover, take my initial shot and then watch how every single enemy just runs next to my guys form the other end of the world. It doesn't matter if they have a swords, sniper rifles or grenades, they all just want to dry hump me to death. In fact they even throw grenades at their fellow raiders once they've swarmed me, because why not.

The lack of AI has been replaced by unnatural speed and overgenerous health pools, it feels like you're fighting a zombie horde that's after you, not a militia or tactical combat unit.

I will most likely not finish the game, the story isn't interesting enough to follow it through.

Edited by trulez
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm in agreement there. I find the game is at its best when you're screwing around with the various settlements, when the game gives you the option to be creative.

I don't find the combat itself to be horrible but there's so much of it and the combat just isn't good enough to support it all. It becomes way too much and it takes way too long. I'm playing on the difficulty option beneath the highest one (Ranger I think?) and there have been moments where I've been tempted to just lower the difficulty to be done faster with some encounters, and that's never a good sign in my book.

The size and scope of the world is great in itself and makes it feel like you're part of something grand, but my god, this is one game I wish they could've sped up in various ways. It'd be interesting to see how many hours of those I've played that were watching the skill icon filling up (and sometimes again after failing the first one...) or running back and forth between locations.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66368-wasteland-2-kickstarted/?p=1514076

it is a bit disappointing that the game doesn't reach the level o' tactical sophistication fo:t had.  once we get a new patch that addresses at least some o' our greatest concerns, am certain we will play through the game at least once, but it we do play more than once, it won't be the combat that inspires a second play. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm getting real sick of the combat, every single encounter is the exact same regardless if I face animals, raiders or robots. I pick a place as far back as I can with some cover, take my initial shot and then watch how every single enemy just runs next to my guys form the other end of the world. It doesn't matter if they have a swords, sniper rifles or grenades, they all just want to dry hump me to death. In fact they even throw grenades at their fellow raiders once they've swarmed me, because why not.

The lack of AI has been replaced by unnatural speed and overgenerous health pools, it feels like you're fighting a zombie horde that's after you, not a militia or tactical combat unit.

I will most likely not finish the game, the story isn't interesting enough to follow it through.

What difficulty level are you playing on?  In my game, on Ranger difficulty, enemies tend to act a lot more intelligently.  Sharpshooters hang back and seek cover and/or high ground, gunners charge up until they're in range then open fire, melee enemies charge.  They still do boneheaded moves once in a while, but for the most part enemies aren't complete berserkers.

Yes, the combat does get repetitive after a while, but it does so in almost every game that has a lot of combat.  I think the only way to have combat not get repetitive is to make every encounter essentially a boss battle, and even then.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yes, the combat does get repetitive after a while, but it does so in almost every game that has a lot of combat.  I think the only way to have combat not get repetitive is to make every encounter essentially a boss battle, and even then.

well, that ain't true, or fair. fo:t and iwd2 is examples that is noteworthy. not every encounter were boss fights, but the level design were far superior in iwd2 and fo:t. many memorable fights in the aforementioned games were not boss fights, and that were 'cause o' level design and creative ai. now, to be fair, neither iwd2 nor fo:t were the first game that the respective developers were developing with their engine. get creative on game 3 or 4 or 8 is likely easier than with game 1.  even so, is not that combat invariably becomes tedious or need become tedious. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I want to start over, too. No one has Demolitions, since I thought, well, there is no Disarm Traps, so ... so every booby trap is boobying spectacularly.

if you can kill honey badgers, there is a recruitable npc with decent demolitions skillz.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I skip all "random" encounters. Pretty much always the same maps, the same enemies, the same amount of enemies,... Oh and the visual quality of the encounter maps is very bad, imo.

Hope they will upgrade this stuff in future patches. If not then I'll guess I have to make some sort of encounter overhaul mod as soon as mod tools are available.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I skip them to. I can't be bothered with that low life scum when I have quests to complete.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I've got roughly 250 hours clocked in, and I'm still having a blast with combat. I play on Ranger and Supreme Jerk difficulty.

Since the beta, the game has gotten a much needed bump to difficulty, and is even more enjoyable as a result. It may not quite have the options that a game like FOT has, but it's not trying to be that game.

It's primarily a RPG, focused on the story (with more written words in it than the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy). And it happens to have some pretty solid (IMO) tactical combat to boot.

A game like FOT focused on tactical combat over pretty much everything else, so one would hope that it's really good at the one thing that.. it's supposed to be really good at. I think WL2 managed to be really good at a lot of things, and on a ~$5m dollar budget is pretty impressive.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

we keep quoting self in this thread. odd.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66368-wasteland-2-kickstarted/?p=1514076

we noted that the replay value for wl2 would come from role-play options and not combat.  am not seeing enough role-play depth, but perhaps when we get deeper into the game, that will change.

HA! Good Fun!

What difficulty level are you playing on?  In my game, on Ranger difficulty, enemies tend to act a lot more intelligently.  Sharpshooters hang back and seek cover and/or high ground, gunners charge up until they're in range then open fire, melee enemies charge.  They still do boneheaded moves once in a while, but for the most part enemies aren't complete berserkers.

Supreme Jerk. I'm at the Canyon of Titan at the moment.

In Prison, there's the RSM camp with a ledge on the eastern edge, the game gives you a hint when you move along the ledge that says something like "this would be pretty good place to shoot targets down below". Well I went to that ledge and setup my guys and opened fire, when the next turn started I was already swarmed by the enemy and effectively stuck without cover on a narrow ledge. So clearly the developers wanted players to use the environment to their benefit but due to the retard AI and an olympic gold medalist sprinter like speed the intent was completely lost in actual gameplay.

And before anyone comments about the difficulty level, I went into it completely knowing I'd be facing hard encounters that would probably need some thinking. But there isn't any thinking really needed, it's just a fight of attrition. I need to repeat the necessary steps every turn to avoid being facehugged to death while dealing damage until after an eternity has passed I win.

A game like FOT focused on tactical combat over pretty much everything else, so one would hope that it's really good at the one thing that.. it's supposed to be really good at. I think WL2 managed to be really good at a lot of things, and on a ~$5m dollar budget is pretty impressive.

I quite liked the story in FO:T, and I've replayed that game from start to finish at least half dozen times because in addition to the interesting story the combat was just so much fun. I would also argue FO:T was much prettier to look at too.

Edited by trulez
  • Like 1