What are you playing now

How good are the later Assassins Creed games in relation to AC2? I got bored rather quickly with AC, but I haven't enjoyed a game as much as AC2 in a long time, and I'm hoping there isn't a huge drop in quality. Though I hear 3 is not so good.

AC > AC2 > AC3 ~ AC:B = AC:R

AC:R > AC2 > AC:B > AC3 > AC:BF ~ AC

Of course I'm playing Divinity: Original Sin atm. Every fan of CRPGs should do so. :)

Playing a bit of that too here and there. Anyway, seems opinions vary wildly on the AC games. I guess as long as they keep more to the AC2 formula than the AC formula I should enjoy them all.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Slept four hours, had to take a strong painkiller for my back, squeezed out an appeal in record time and had an overly heavy lunch. Tired doesn't begin to describe how I feel right now. More like comatose.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

so, I guess that means you're not playing anything now?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

so, I guess that means you're not playing anything now?

Yep, I bet you boys are glad I'm not handling YOUR cases right now? :D

Actually, been playing some more madden25. Probably going to take a stab at dishonored, which I had to abandon with the move and all a year ago, but that won't be until next week.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

How good are the later Assassins Creed games in relation to AC2? I got bored rather quickly with AC, but I haven't enjoyed a game as much as AC2 in a long time, and I'm hoping there isn't a huge drop in quality. Though I hear 3 is not so good.

Stay away from AC3. It was decent, I suppose but I got bored in chapter 10 and decided to uninstall the game. I guess you could give it a try if it goes on sale during Steam holiday sale.

Fallen behind in EU4, God damned Ottomans have zerg like numbers, but yet France is more concerned with screwing over Spain rather than being interested in dealing with them. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fallen behind in EU4, God damned Ottomans have zerg like numbers, but yet France is more concerned with screwing over Spain rather than being interested in dealing with them. 

I found the best strategy with the Ottomans is to make alliances early and to attack them when they engage to the south. I played with Serbia, allied with Austria, Poland and Russia and captured all the lands around me (Bosnia, Hungary, Croatia and some others). Then as soon as the Otomans started the war in the south I attacked from the north and took the whole Balkan.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Yeah I kind of ignored them as I was expanding East or subjugating Novgorod.  Wouldn't be that bad if they weren't allies with Crimea though, would be nice to reach the Black Sea.  Will note that for my next game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dark Souls 2 is not very CPU intensive. When I go to bed, I change my power policy to a custom power savings mode, where my CPU has a maximum frequency of 800MHz vs its default 3.5GHz, (because I have to have it on for various reasons through the night, but I don't think it should use more power/create more heat than necessary). I forgot to change it back this morning, and played for like two hours and didn't notice the difference. I only realized belatedly, yes, it was a little laggier than normal, but not bad at all, and in fact ran better than Dark Souls 1 does when I have my CPU clocked at 3.5GHz...

Why am I upgrading to a 4770k, again? :p

I have a bunch of complaints about Dark Souls 2, but I'll save them for a while more, yet.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Guest Slinky

I have a bunch of complaints about Dark Souls 2, but I'll save them for a while more, yet.

Have they fixed the item durability bug on the PC version yet?

Always wanted to play Dark Souls games, but I have no intention to reward companies that do horrible PC ports. If they ever make HD versions of them for PS4, I just might get the console just for that. Getting PS3 now would be somewhat dumb.

Always wanted to play Dark Souls games, but I have no intention to reward companies that do horrible PC ports. If they ever make HD versions of them for PS4, I just might get the console just for that. Getting PS3 now would be somewhat dumb.

Can't say for sure. I don't think so, though, based on the fact that my beginner weapon broke almost immediately - like, within a half hour - for some reason, but since getting a different weapon, it's taken only 2 durability damage in the past two hours of playing...

(e): Ah, it seems I didn't understand durability. I thought it worked like in DS1, where you have to repair stuff at a blacksmith - apparently, it's automatically repaired at bonfires. That explains why I was unable to make it through the tutorial area without my weapon breaking - no bonfire for a while - but my current weapon is doing fine. haha

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I fear they haven't fixed the bug where hitting corpses makes your weapon lose roughly 2 times the durability it should, and some of the enemies are still in eternal "hyper mode" for people who can run this game at 60 fps.

It's so weird, this is a rather marvelously optimized port, but then there are bugs like this that are only there because some coders assumed the game would stay locked at 30fps in all versions. Even my ****ty rig can reach 60 at medium settings!

Yeah, the game runs perfectly on max settings with me running an old quadcore Phenom II and a 5770...on the other hand, I think the game looks (stylistically) worse than Dark Souls 1, so you win some, you lose some, I guess. A lot of the active lighting looks completely awful and ruins the look of certain areas - they should remove a lot of the environmental torches and such and reduce the overall brightness of the game, IMO.

Why the heck can't anyone but Valve properly animate faces? The opening cutscene sequence...oh man, that was awful. Those stupid firekeepers were animated (and voice acted) terribly, so let's do close up their faces while they talk so we *make sure* everyone knows how bad we are at doing this. And then let's have them repeat the same random, stupid crap several times. I nearly quit then and there. I pray that the only remaining cutscenes in the game are the ending cinematic(s), and non-dialogue ones of bosses when you meet them for the first time.

Why would corpse eating durability be removed? There's no valid reason and it has it's uses as well.

And it's not a port.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Stay away from AC3. It was decent, I suppose but I got bored in chapter 10 and decided to uninstall the game. I guess you could give it a try if it goes on sale during Steam holiday sale.
Already got all but Black Flag and Liberation HD, with 3 I mostly want toplay the DLC. I'm a huge althistory buff so the Tyranny of King George stiff sounds awesome. Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Why would corpse eating durability be removed? There's no valid reason and it has it's uses as well.

Alright, you might need to fix up your reading comprehension a bit. Nobody said that corpse-hits decreasing your weapons durability should be outright removed, though I suppose one could argue for that since why should hitting a dead body be so punishing compared to live ones but whatever, what is an issue here that PC players have their weapons break considerably faster than people playing on consoles. There are some rather frail weapons already in the game, and this bug does not help in the slightest.

When 30 swings at a corpse with a fully working shortsword can break it completely, while hitting at walls or living enemies takes 120 swings, something's not right

Edited by Nordicus

Guest Slinky

Somehow I ended up purchasing Wildstar. It seems pretty fun so far.

At it's best it's excellent. Too bad it's not at it's best very often, the story is so no-existent and shallow it could just as well be quick note on a readme file and the game itself is very, very grindy. If you don't have "go there and kill this much and collect that much" quest, don't worry, you'll get them on every single quest hub. While I found it's combat mechanics more fun than the classic WOW style, the game relies on it bit too much.

I could write a fairly long list of things I didn't like, but I did have fun enough with it. Like playing with housing, doing challenges (driving over zombies with a armored motorcycle was fun as hell!) or just jumping around with a hoverboard on low gravity area. But I didn't find it good enough to keep subbing after the "free" 30 days.

Also, I don't really understand what it's target audience is? They have made lots of noise how hardcore and hard the game is, but it's art style and the world itself is from a sunday morning cartoon. Hardcore children?

What's the problem with durability in DS2? You have rings increasing the durability, you have repair powder, you have the small white soapstone reseting your durability and you have way too many bonfires.

Nethertheless, I can't stop playing this game. Finished my NG+ playthrough, ready to go for NG++. But instead I started a new character and joined the Bellbros again... Too much fun with this covenant.

Edited by Bendu

I got my copy of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate today.  Oddly enough it's a game about hunting monsters.  It definitely shows its age.  The game was spiffied up a bit for the Wii U, but there's only so much they could were willing to do with the aging framework.  There are some pretty rather angular character models and some shocking low res textures in the game.  Still, it's been pretty fun so far.  I'm just starting to get the hang of it, but I can see why this series is digital crack in Japan.  So far I'm gravitating toward hammers as my favorite weapons.  I'm not a big fan of preposterously gigantic weapons, and hammers certainly fit the bill here, but it's a Japanese game and the Japanese love their preposterously gigantic weapons, so what can you do?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Alright, you might need to fix up your reading comprehension a bit. Nobody said that corpse-hits decreasing your weapons durability should be outright removed, though I suppose one could argue for that since why should hitting a dead body be so punishing compared to live ones but whatever, what is an issue here that PC players have their weapons break considerably faster than people playing on consoles. There are some rather frail weapons already in the game, and this bug does not help in the slightest.

When 30 swings at a corpse with a fully working shortsword can break it completely, while hitting at walls or living enemies takes 120 swings, something's not right

I should "fix my reading comprehension" while you're writing about two different things,  then lecture me on something i don't care about. Corpses eating durability is FINE. It's the the fastest way to get true Santier's spear. Not to mention that not every enemy leaves a corpse behind. 

I don't care about your durability problems hitting moving enemies, i only asked about the CORPSES. YOU KNOW, THE UNMOVING THINGS ON THE GROUND!

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I should "fix my reading comprehension" while you're writing about two different things,  then lecture me on something i don't care about. Corpses eating durability is FINE. It's the the fastest way to get true Santier's spear. Not to mention that not every enemy leaves a corpse behind. 

I don't care about your durability problems hitting moving enemies, i only asked about the CORPSES. YOU KNOW, THE UNMOVING THINGS ON THE GROUND!

Actually the enemies that don't leave one tend to damage your durability dramatically if your weapon hits them during fading animation, they're similarly bugged. Hitting live enemies causes really insignificant durability loss. And when your weapon is large enough with wide swings, meant for crowd control, and you fittingly have a whole group of enemies, you are going to hit a couple when they're still ragdolling. Edited by Nordicus

Why you so angry? Its....you know....like just a game :aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela