What are you playing now

Metro: Last Light and Divinity: Original Sin on and off courtesy of GabeN. Actually really impressed with LL, not so much with Divinity (if I wanted to talk to myself with poorly written lines and rock, paper, scissors I could drink excessive amounts of alcohol and do it on my own. Even with a second player, the lines don't stop being garbage as far as writing goes.)

Not a fan of the rock, paper. scissors mini-game either and an option to disable it and just roll the dice (as it used to be earlier in beta) was requested by a bunch of people (including yours truly). The dialogues very early in are a tad cheesy I'll admit, it usually does get better later in the game though if their earlier games are anything to go by. Of course if Larian's sense of humour doesn't appeal to you you're out of luck I guess.

Generally speaking, I play RPGs for their existence as RPGs, rather than an attempt at "parodying" RPGs. The latter is the best sense I get out of D:OS' "inter-protagonist" dialogue. The writing simply isn't good to me. That's really all there is for me to say prior to the game going "gold." If the writing were better and not so ham-fisted it would be more enjoyable. It's entirely plausible to make a "meta" RPG parody without making it so painfully obvious that you're trying to (if it's obvious and not amusing, you have failed at your goal.) I guess that's more an issue with my opinion of the quality of writing than anything else, though.

In other news, Metro: Last Light is continuing to outweigh Oby's (psuedo?)slavic trolling and provide a brilliant experience that leads me to want to take Russian language classes.

Edited by AGX-17

Metro: Last Light and Divinity: Original Sin on and off courtesy of GabeN. Actually really impressed with LL, not so much with Divinity (if I wanted to talk to myself with poorly written lines and rock, paper, scissors I could drink excessive amounts of alcohol and do it on my own. Even with a second player, the lines don't stop being garbage as far as writing goes.)

Not a fan of the rock, paper. scissors mini-game either and an option to disable it and just roll the dice (as it used to be earlier in beta) was requested by a bunch of people (including yours truly). The dialogues very early in are a tad cheesy I'll admit, it usually does get better later in the game though if their earlier games are anything to go by. Of course if Larian's sense of humour doesn't appeal to you you're out of luck I guess.

In other news, Metro: Last Light is continuing to outweigh Oby's (psuedo?)slavic trolling and provide a brilliant experience that leads me to want to take Russian language classes.

I always knew you would be able to handle games that were set in a game world outside the USA. Well done young grasshopper ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - strictly superior to Shadowrun Returns, thoroughly enjoyable old-skoolish RPG experience. My STR/Melee/Charismatic Troll is just mowing through the opposition, that AP damage from blades is just grossly overpowered. The character concept I chose is great but I feel like the maximum stat values set for races are unreachable, even if I would only focus on 2 stats I doubt I'd ever manage to max out them, so I probably never know HOW powerful he could be.

Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark

It's not awful, but it's a cheaply made game. The overwhelming majority of the characters are just reused models from Fall of Cybertron. Not even the single player models, but the multiplayer models with bland color schemes that make everyone overwhelmingly red or purple. The only new models seem to be the movie characters, who don't have that color problem, but they look like crap.

The level design is actually somewhat decent. The big thing holding it back is that they clearly had a small budget, so they pad out every single level with a hold-the-line scenario. And it lacks the spectacular moments of the other two Cybertron games.

The only new mechanics are two new guns (one of which is G1 Megatron, awesome), a power, and an unlock system that might be familiar to you if you've played ME3's multiplayer.

And it has no competitive multiplayer. Only a horde mode.

I lost interest in the game as soon as I saw the movie characters.

I've been trying to get through the Autobot campaign in War For Cybertron so I can move on to Fall of Cybertron, but its so damned hard. Running out of ammo wouldn't be so frustrating if Melee combat wasn't so awful.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall - strictly superior to Shadowrun Returns, thoroughly enjoyable old-skoolish RPG experience. My STR/Melee/Charismatic Troll is just mowing through the opposition, that AP damage from blades is just grossly overpowered. The character concept I chose is great but I feel like the maximum stat values set for races are unreachable, even if I would only focus on 2 stats I doubt I'd ever manage to max out them, so I probably never know HOW powerful he could be.

I died horribly in the first battle and haven't been able to bring myself to get back into it, and I really enjoyed Dead Man's Switch.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Just finished Interstate '76 again. The game felt much harder when I played it the last time.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm playing Football Manager 2014.  I decided to start over and give myself an bigger challenge than managing Wisła, a perennial powerhouse in Ekstraklasa (which literally translates to "Extra Class" or "Above Division"), so I decided to manage Cracovia, a club that has bounced between 2nd division, 1st division, and Ekstraklasa recently, and is in a dogfight just to stay in Ekstraklasa and avoid relegation.  In my first year, I'm keen on doing just that, avoiding relegation.  I have no delusions of making a run at the title, that's not realistic, especially with the changes I'm making.   Cracovia's squad, as I inherited it, is likely best suited to 4-4-2.  While I am keeping that formation as a backup I can switch into, along with 3-4-3, I am keen on playing 4-1-3-2.  There will be some growing pains as my club learns to play that formation and as I look to get the necessary personnel to make it work.  4-1-3-2 is an attacking formation that can take advantage of quick counters and exploit the wings, but it can leave the defensive midfield heavily exposed.  It relies heavily on having very fit attacking midfielders on the wing and fullbacks to run back and forth when switching from defense to attack to fill in the gap on the wings in the defensive midfield.  Obviously, you need to have a strong defensive midfielder too.  I'm okay when it comes to attacking midfielders, but I started with a real need at fullback.  I acquired a good youngster for the right fullback/defensive winger position who's raw but has immense talent and potential, I'm still very weak on the left.  My hope is to get through the season and keep from getting relegated, ideally finishing around 11th or 12th, as my club learns the formation and I get the youngsters into shape and acquire assets.  I'm not looking for guys in their mid 30s, I'm looking for young guys to grow with the club.  This is a marathon, not a sprint for me.  I'm also loaning out quite a bit of players to get them match experience elsewhere.  It's risky because it leaves me a bit thin, but I need to take those risks if I'm going to climb up the ladder eventually and take Cracovia to the promised land.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

FONV, this time I'm on Mr. House's side. I've already tried Caesar,  NCR, and just taking over myself.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I played my first game of Gears of War MP today, Survival mode.  I can't believe there's still people playing this game.  I figured I was the only one late to the party.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I played my first game of Gears of War MP today, Survival mode.  I can't believe there's still people playing this game.  I figured I was the only one late to the party.

They "ruined" the shotgun GoW2 onwards, so I'm not surprised. :p

Dark Souls 2

*sigh*

Both Blade of Darkness and Witcher 2 have more responsive controls than Dark Souls 2. HOW??? How can it be this sluggish when the previous 2 Souls games controlled just fine!?

Edited by Nordicus

EU4, right now working on annexation of Crimea. Muscovy's grown pretty well, alas I can't really take Kazan with their allies.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

EU4, right now working on annexation of Crimea. Muscovy's grown pretty well, alas I can't really take Kazan with their allies.

Vladimir Putin, is that you?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Indeed, Ukraine, Poland and Finland have already fallen under my dominion. Except now France has sent legions of troops all the way across Europe to fight me, blah

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dropped Guacamelee! around the 50% completion mark. I should remind myself from time to time to never play platformers on PC again

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Killing myself in World of Goo. I've gotten really OCD...doing the OCD requirements. :p That, and going beyond them - doing the absolute best in the levels that I can envision there being. On a level I just did, (Chapter 5 - Weather Vane), the OCD requirement was saving 42 goo balls - with a harebrained scheme, I got more than double that with 88. Over ten minutes and 200 moves on that single try, (if you don't know, that's really ridiculous for a single try - a more typical OCD try would probably be closer to 2-3 minutes and maybe 50 moves, at least for that level). And now I have a headache. Luckily, since I'm in Chapter 5 out of 5 and I've already done all the previous chapters, I'm almost done.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Dropped Guacamelee! around the 50% completion mark. I should remind myself from time to time to never play platformers on PC again

It's fine on PC as long as you're using a gamepad.  You'd have to be some kind of masochist to play Guacamelee! with m&kb.  What sort of person would do that to themselves?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

It's fine on PC as long as you're using a gamepad.  You'd have to be some kind of masochist to play Guacamelee! with m&kb.  What sort of person would do that to themselves?

Hey, we used to play every arcade game with keyboard only.  And weren't masochist.

Guess I'll have to try to Guacamelee! just to see if it's really that difficult to play, or if it's just an exaggeration of people who didn't start with games like  Commander Keen, Dangerous Dave, Jill of the jungle, Titus the fox ... back in the middle age of pc gaming. :D

EDIT: Oh so Larian turned the beta into Release version for everyone. Nice. Maybe i'll even play it now.

Edited by Majek

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I'm playing Mario Kart 8, it's pretty awesome.  Definitely the best entry in the series since at least Double Dash.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

More Mario Kart 8.  Pretty much everything else is going on the back burner for a while, including Skyrim, Divinity: Original Sin, and Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (which I got for free for getting Mario Kart 8, score!).  Maybe it's just because I haven't played a Mario Kart game in a long time, but this game feels faster.  100cc feels like 150cc and 150cc feels like...  like...  like something faster than 150cc.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

On level 10 of Legend of Grimrock, damn some of the puzzles are hard. I can't believe that some people played this game and didn't use walkthroughs around some of the puzzles?

I suppose I have become lazy when it comes to challenging games :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela