Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PoE-saga MMORPG? Please?

mmo mmorpg pillars of eternity multiplayer

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4012 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
No.

There are too many useless MMOs around already.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

From who?

Pretty much every RPG-fan I know/RPG-forums that talks about Obsidian/It's announcement thread here/probably more places

@ Teknoman; How did that work out for the KOTOR-games?

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4143 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

From who?

Pretty much every RPG-fan I know/RPG-forums that talks about Obsidian/It's announcement thread here/probably more places

Nonesense

Bewilderment at the announcement? Yes. Unhappiness with the direction? Yes. (Though, its something temporary) But, not suddenly a laughing stock.

Edited by C2B, 29 May 2014 - 03:19 AM.

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

I don't understand the laughing stock comment either. I can't wait to try out Armored Warfare. For me it shows that if a company like Obsidian can do multiple genres of games and still release rpgs, then I think that's a credit to the talent Obsidian has and a great commitment to the rpg community and fans to continue to release rpgs. I'm all for that and I'll likely try out their other games that aren't in the rpg genre. And it seems by the Armoried Warfare forums, there's a lot of buzz for the game especially since the latest trailer came out yesterday which looks like actual game footage.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5210 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I also don't understand the laughing stock comment, since working on games means they have a money influx, somewhere in the pipeline. Which can only be good for an independent studio.

I think that would be better than what happened with Troika which, IIRC, ended one game's development only to find they couldn't get anyone else to take up any of their pitches for new games.

I have no interest in any kind of MMORPG, but if it helps them and they still are making games I'm interested in outside of those games...why would I care?

People get bent out of shape over the weirdest things.
  • Malekith and Prometheus like this

Azmodiuz

Azmodiuz

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Steam:woodzstack
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

How would you make a real-time with pause MMO anyway?

What happens if a player pauses the game and then just leaves? Is the entire server stuck?

disable pausing when multiplayer.

The World of Darkness MMO sounded kinda interesting, before it got shelved...But an MMO certainly isn't anything I would want Obsidian to work on..

exactly. think its better for Torment or wasteland 2, cxause of the 3-D

Edited by Azmodiuz, 29 May 2014 - 06:51 AM.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I also don't understand the laughing stock comment, since working on games means they have a money influx, somewhere in the pipeline. Which can only be good for an independent studio.

You guys obviously go different places than me...

Also, no, it doesn't mean that. With another game, yes... develop, money, end.

However, we're talking about a MMO here... a F2P MMO even. Which means that thinking doesn't apply. It's instead "develop, develop some more, money, develop more, develop more... develop more"

In that way it's even worse than making a hand-held game or educational game, since it's money also comes still with an expense... AND A RESOURCE-COST. Of people who could be on other games.

As such, yes, I do find reason to complain or be worried for MMO's from Obsidian compared to ANYTHING else to make money. If you don't see why, maybe you're the short-sighted one?

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5210 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Obsidian can't be working on it - F2P model or not - if there wasn't money coming in to work on the project.

In essence, you're arguing that Obsidian is working on it for free out of the goodness of their hearts until at some point in the future some money might roll in. They're nice guys, and all, but I don't see Urquhart et al being THAT nice.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's pretty much how game design finances work.

You get money to make game, you make game... afterwards you get your profits based on sales (and sometimes bonusses like the infamous 85% metacritic New Vegas).

EDIT: Oh, in some cases some own money is put in then the proto is given to publishers for more financial support. If that doesn't work out, obviously you get a loss.

If the game bombs... in the best case you play equal... (provided you didn't go overbudget. Or the overbudget was financed by the publisher instead of your own finances) but of course, you wasted a whole bunch of time, need to have some in reserve to keep yourself up to the next game, and hope it doesn't affect your reputation making it less likely to get in a next deal.

It's not being nice or not... it's the way the industry works... But I guess not knowing that explains your points and views in this thread....

Edited by Hassat Hunter, 30 May 2014 - 07:46 AM.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5210 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
My only point was that they had to have some money upfront on the project which means money coming into the company as my understanding was that my.com (I think that was the Russian company) was acting as the "publisher" - ie funding the production.

You seem to be arguing that Obsidian is acting as the "publisher" and thus investing their own money into the development which may be true, but would indeed be news to me.

If I'm right, then yes Obsidian is getting money upfront. If you are right, then yes Obsidian is investing their money into development in the hopes of a return.

Obviously, I thought we were talking about the former and not the latter with regard to Obsidians money flow and "work for free".

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Money influx" implies they are getting profits.

But they're not... they just get the money... but they need to invest it into the game. They can't just hightail away with it. So the balance would end up at 0. That's not what 'money influx' sounds to me.

The money influx would be on a regular game with sales. And then development is over. With MMO's however, it comes a lot more from expended duration. While that sounds great (who doesn't like more money over a longer period of time) the downside would be that that moneyflow is coupled with still an active development (which is again costing money, and taking personal resources).

It really depends on your strategy if "quick lot of money" or "longer time less money" is the best. But it's also that one will open up people for other projects, while the other hoards people still onto it. So if you want to make quality RPG's one is clearly beneficial to the other since it will allow you to work on RPG's again, while the other keeps you permanent working on other titles instead...

So with that in mind, I can clearly state that I don't like it, or looks good towards more quality RPG's from Obsidian...

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5210 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Okay, to me being paid to produce something would be a "money influx" as it keeps the company flush with capital with which to operate, whereas I'd characterize any money's needed over the production as "profit", but I see how we started talking at cross purposes. I only did one course in accounting 20-something years ago so perhaps my terminology is inaccurate.

I seem to recall that Feargus had said in the past about lining up projects to keep people busy; it could be a project like this would allow them to rotate people in and out of development as other projects begin/end. However it could also become a permanent time/money/personnel sink, so I can understand where you're coming from.

Edited by Amentep, 30 May 2014 - 08:39 AM.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@OP:

My opinion is that I sincerely hope PoE does not tread into MMO land, but I would gladly accept some sort of Multiplayer elements. Co-operative play. 2-6 Players kind of deal.

Though, something that would be most interesting I think is a sort of Multiplayer experience but with a DM (Dungeon Master) to simulate a PnP (Pen & Paper) experience. That, I think, would be most awesome.

Imagine having an empty canvas, one area or two where the Players spawn that expands when the Player travels. The Players then decide where to go, what they want to do, and they consult the DM in dice rolls and the DM can also place monster spawns, areas, NPC's who confront the Players and also respond directly in dialogue windows. The Players could write their own choices, instead of having "1, 2, 3" and the DM would respond directly to whatever the Player writes. Granted, there'd have to be tons of more features.

A sort of interactive Level Editor for a DM, and for the Players it'd be an Infinity Engine experience.

Why hasn't a game like this spawned yet? :p

• Suen, rjshae, Death Machine Miyagi and 2 others like this

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

From who?

@ Teknoman; How did that work out for the KOTOR-games?

in what sense? 

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5568 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@OP:

My opinion is that I sincerely hope PoE does not tread into MMO land, but I would gladly accept some sort of Multiplayer elements. Co-operative play. 2-6 Players kind of deal.

Though, something that would be most interesting I think is a sort of Multiplayer experience but with a DM (Dungeon Master) to simulate a PnP (Pen & Paper) experience. That, I think, would be most awesome.

Imagine having an empty canvas, one area or two where the Players spawn that expands when the Player travels. The Players then decide where to go, what they want to do, and they consult the DM in dice rolls and the DM can also place monster spawns, areas, NPC's who confront the Players and also respond directly in dialogue windows. The Players could write their own choices, instead of having "1, 2, 3" and the DM would respond directly to whatever the Player writes. Granted, there'd have to be tons of more features.

A sort of interactive Level Editor for a DM, and for the Players it'd be an Infinity Engine experience.

Why hasn't a game like this spawned yet? :p

Oh, it pretty much has: Neverwinter Nights 1 (and 2 to a certain extent)! You just had to pick the right persistent worlds with great DMs. No multiplayer experience on a computer has ever surpassed that to me. :)

• rjshae likes this

Sad Panda

Sad Panda

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Steam:kantmatic
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Obsidian's forte has always been writing, so I'm not exactly sure what is the expectation here. The nature of MMOs in and of itself excludes any one player having even a slight impact on the gameworld in a manner that would be consistent across all players' games. Whenever playing with others everyone has to pretend the others didn't do the exact same quests, too -- even more so if you take the Guild Wars approach and have everyone be the one hero of the realm. Roleplaying in MMOs invariably comes down to either persistent soloing (defeating the point of playing MP in the first place) or essentially just ignoring the stories the devs create and making up your own. The latter you can do in any MMO -- I don't see the point in hiring the best writers in the industry to hand you a blank page.

Edited by Sad Panda, 31 May 2014 - 12:38 AM.

Death Machine Miyagi

Death Machine Miyagi

Obsidian Order's Devourer of Souls

• Validating
  • 537 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Nothing would enhance the experience of PoE's richly detailed game world and elaborate storyline quite like being ganked and teabagged by a group of powergaming 13 year olds, accompanied by cries of 'LOL get rekt shrub'  

• Suen, rjshae, PrimeJunta and 3 others like this

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5992 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

in what sense?

Being MMO-fied...

PieSnatcher

PieSnatcher

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I never hope for more mmo shenanigans. My poor, poor pipe dream that was KOTOR 3 is a victim of said shenanigans. Oh, I swallowed my pride when TOR was released. It was better than I had feared. But still not worth it.

teknoman2

teknoman2

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1368 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

in what sense?

Being MMO-fied...

being MMO-fied and having an MMO in the setting are 2 different things.

they gave up on a KOTOR3 to make TOR, and while TOR was an above average game overall, it just couldnt compare to what it could have been if it was KOTOR3

now an MMO set in a world used for single player games, is not bad by default, so long as it does not **** on it's source or becomes an excuse to stop making single player games in that setting

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mmo, mmorpg, pillars of eternity, multiplayer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users